Fun pup stories

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanbrat

Reaction score
So please tell me your fav. dog on the road story....
We had our first road trip with our dog. He is a big ol' dumb love with a face that is a bit off putting if he doesn't know you. If he does know you he just has a serious licker problem... 
We had some brake trouble and after it was semi fixed we decided to not try to get through Portland during rush hour with it and waited at a small bar/café beside the freeway. We were both tired after a long day on the road and a big argument with a mechanic that tried really hard to rip us off. We went inside and sat down so we could see the van. The dog and I had a great walk while hubby argued with mechanic so he was good snoozing in the van. I looked out as a big old car pulled up really close to the van and thought maybe we should check the doors (we both forget to lock up sometimes) any way hubby goes out to check and as he gets out to the parking lot the car took off. He locked up, pet the dog gave him his dinner and came back into the bar. We noticed that it wasn't really an area we would have ever thought was a good spot to stop. Pot shop on one side, bikini coffee place and a junk yard set up in back as we looked around we both said we needed to be more careful about where we parked. 
This was all while it was still daylight. So had a good dinner and shot some pool, and had a beer and rush hour was over. We got back in the van and noticed all the lights where on in the back. Now we have been working with the doggy to get him so he tells us there is someone close by but not ok to bark and bark and bark. he is pretty good about it in campgrounds. Also he is not a car barker, when he rides he is usually VERY quiet. he just sits in one of the seats up front and watches. He is also dark colored and blends in with the seat covers. That said he does show his teeth when he feels it is necessary. And he is VERY protective of me more so then hubby. I can just imagine the look on someone's face when they look up to the front of the van and see his BIG mouth full of sharp teeth watching you. Anyway nothing missing, but all the lights on.
Lesson learned be more careful where ya park and always lock up. He is a great traveler and would never go with out him. 

So now tell me your story. Did your doggy find a skunk or bring you home a critter? Did they bark at the cop giving you a ticket (Yea not this one but another one did) did they set off the alarms, have they locked you out ?

vanbrat said:
Pot shop on one side, bikini coffee place and a junk yard set up in back as we looked around we both said we needed to be more careful about where we parked. 

I don't drink designer coffee so I'm curious as to what a bikini coffee place is?

slow2day said:
I don't drink designer coffee so I'm curious as to what a bikini coffee place is?
Imagine driving up to a coffee thing like Starbucks and having the barista wearing only pasties for a top or some other not really there outfit. If they messed up the coffee would you care, and if they flirt enough ya just might leave a really nice tip.....I don't drink coffee either but I know of these places they often have a parking place off the side semi out of sight for other activities not just for coffee drinking. Yea I know now I'm gonna hear how not all bikini baristas do the extra stuff but this place I'm pretty sure did.

^
Ah,I see. Good ol' American entrepreneurship. Almost as good as topless shoeshine stands.

So I have hauled canoes and kayaks coast to coast for a number of years now. I took on a foster dog who was close to her end if no home found. She can be quite the guard dog. I was between San Francisco and Sacramento somewhere and ahead of schedule. I needed some dog food so I typed in closest Walmart. Up pops Walmart parking lot. Well I figured there had to be a Walmart by said parking lot. Well, it was a huge lot to accommodate people living in campers and such you’d never move out of there except on a flatbed or dumpster. A little nervous I didn’t want to park too close to the store and I was more worried about being in camper folks way so I found a spot and ran in. I left the truck running for the air for the dog and did a dash in and dash out... only to see three fellas one with a bar in his hand just as my dog did her thing. The guy wielding the bar quickly put in under his jacket as the three of them turned and walked away. I kinda gave ol’ Kira a big thumbs up on that. She’s kinda funny... she’ll get all guard like and in the same breath jump out for a pet and jump back in to do her thing. She doesn’t miss anything!

Dogs go from 'on' to 'off' so fast. Glad you had your girl with you. I wanted to take my pup with me Kayaking, but he won't at all go in the water above his knees, now I have to figure out how to keep him comfy, cool and safe while I am out. I can't keep him in the van and the motor running. I'm thinking about a trailer with a fold up kennel, but that would be maybe to big and not really sure about it. I don't know if campgrounds would allow it? He is not much of a barker so maybe not to much of a problem there. The trailer could be 6x8 and would hold our kayaks, bikes and his 'shelter' he likes lean-to type things. It could also hold what ever other big stuff we might want and the chain link walls would be added security for while in parking lots. But sounds like too much so hubby is frowning on it. and it would be heavy and only for when we don't have the work trailer with us. What do you do with your dog when you are out on the water? We are thinking of a doggy daycare if we can find one where ever we are.