Front Window Covers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people use the covers that go over the windshields, good for both some privacy (assuming someone doesn't peek under) and also to keep the sun out of the cab. Then you could just hang a curtain behind the front seats. I use the blackout curtains sold at walmart for $10 or so. I also glued this material to the Reflectix covers that go over the back windows in the van, using Scotch Super 77 adhesive. Makes the windows look more stealth.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-80-RV-Windshield-Models/dp/B000JXVA2A

Attachments

• IMG_20201011_175550215_HDR2.JPG
    IMG_20201011_175550215_HDR2.JPG
    208.3 KB
In the winter if I wanted to make an insulating divider curtain I would to to a fabric store and by no-pill blanket fleece. It is thick and warm and will block drafts. It is easy to launder. But a real advantage to it is that it does not fray or unravel at the edges when you cut it. That means you can do a no sew curtain, no need for a hem at the bottom or top or folding over the edges on the sides. You can cut the fabric into strips to make ties to hang it up with or hold it back to the walls with. You can make a slit in the fabric to put the ties through. Comes in lots of colors both solids and prints. Always on sale at this time of year. Go online to get discount coupons from places like Joanns if it is not on sale.

It also makes great blankets for cots in vans, usually 60 inches wide. If there is printing along the selvage, meaning the side edges, you can just trim it off. Remember it does not fray or unravel at the edges so no sewing needed to make a blanket out of it.

All of these are great suggestions.

I have a very good curtain system using insulated black out curtains (Eclipse brand from Walmart) behind the front seats, across the side doors/windows, and half length across the back.  I added a second lining for looks, and because when tied back (Velco One Wrap ties), the thermal lining on the side door set stuck to itself and peeled slightly in 100F-plus weather.  Other than that, they've held up for over 10 years.

I especially love being able to pull whatever curtains I need to when needed.  It's nice to be able to leave the side door open and still be able to block the view in when desired.  When the back doors are open, the "whole world" can't see in with the curtains drawn.

Beyond that, we've used a jumbo accordian fold windshield screen inside, along with those "magic circle" shades propped up in the front windows.  Sometimes we like to leave the cab/rear divider curtains open but still have privacy in the front (our electric heater goes in the cab, as does our window a/c).