free alternative to netflix?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevorPace

Reaction score
Hey there, guys!! Bringing this thread back2life. I'm currently looking for a free alternative to Netflix. I don't have enough money to pay for their subscription now. Any advice would be appreciated!!

I watch Pluto TV hours a day and it's FREE. It best to have unlimited cell data.

"Kanopy" is available for most U.S. libraries if you have a library card. I find the films more interesting than Netflix (more International Films, more Short Films, etc.) 10 films a month from my library (Colorado Springs). To get hooked on how good short films can be, watch "The Gift". Or, for long form, low budget, independent film, try "The Desperate Hour". Netflix has GREAT production values, but otherwise blockbusters are just not all that.

"Kanopy" is available for most U.S. libraries if you have a library card. I find the films more interesting than Netflix (more International Films, more Short Films, etc.) 10 films a month from my library (Colorado Springs). To get hooked on how good short films can be, watch "The Gift". Or, for long form, low budget, independent film, try "The Desperate Hour". Netflix has GREAT production values, but otherwise blockbusters are just not all that.
I second Kanopy, it's great!

As a traveler it is possible to find libraries that allow you to get cards at them with limits. Those limits are mostly for checking out printed materials. I currently hold 3 library cards. One from my domicile city and 2 more in Arizona, one for La Paz County, the other for Pima. I find it useful because some audio books are available in some libraries but not others or the holds waiting list might be shorter. That MIGHT even expand how many Kanopy films a month you can obtain as they could be rented via different accounts.

I looked into getting a travelers public library card in Yuma but they were not free, there is a monthly or annual charge for them. So it is an investigate, and do not assume situation. But sooner or later you will be able to get library cards from more than one location. You have to do this in person at the library showing your drivers license for ID.

If you have a roku account, there is a "roku channel" that I'm able to access from my laptop. I don't have a TV anymore, but my old roku acct still works.

You can watch some movies through Youtube, scroll down to Movies & TV, then scroll down until you see the free section.

The Quartzsite Library card is part of the La Paz County system of libraries. So on the Libby App it works for the whole of the county. But compared to more populated counties such as Pima the online offering of audio and Ebooks is fairly limited. However they have an astonishingly large selection of magazines in Electronic format not just from the USA but from Europe as well.

If you have a roku account, there is a "roku channel" that I'm able to access from my laptop. I don't have a TV anymore, but my old roku acct still works.

You can watch some movies through Youtube, scroll down to Movies & TV, then scroll down until you see the free section.
I second using Youtube for movies. I suspect many of the free movies are posted illegally but you can still find and watch them until they are pulled. A surprising number are also ad-supported. I find that some ad-blockers suppress the ads, so it's effectively still a free and and no-ad experience.

YouTube itself hosts movies. There are ads in them, but it's not a bad way to go.

redbox now has free movie streaming (of some movies)

I watch all of my movies and shows at www.MovieBoxPro.app. If you’re ok with lower resolution then it is 100% free with no commercials. You can upgrade to higher resolution if you want to.

Never give them your card info to pay. This is not a "legit" app, though it does work.
Originally it was an app but Apple and Android dropped it like they do with all pirated content. The .app now is just the extension like .com and .net and .org are extensions.

I canceled Netflix several years ago and have been using the free version of MovieBoxPro for about 4 years now. Didn’t like the direction Netflix was going and don’t miss it at all. Same with Prime.

This is what I will do if I ever get around to upgrading….

Open a free account at www.Privacy.com and issue a one time use virtual “credit card” for the amount of the yearly fee and then delete the card after the payment at MovieBoxPro clears. You won’t risk anything and IF anything at all gets weird
then Privacy.com will issue you a full refund.