Fort Clark Springs, TX?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
Is it too annoying if I keep asking about specific places? Just tell me and I'll stop🙃

Has anybody stayed at Fort Clark Springs (near Brackettville, TX)?

I walked around there once years ago, and the general area looked nice. The fella sounded nice on the phone. They let you car-camp at their tent-camp sites and it's within my budget (sort of). There's history up the wazoo in that area and some nice hiking (but not swimming because drought). I ❤️ Route 90.
OTOH I am still new at this and not very good at answering the question "what could possibly go wrong?" LOL.

I would be commuting to Del Rio for part of my stay, visiting a couple museums around Brackettville, and then looking for a kayak rental maybe up around Concan. If anyone has experience with any of those places, especially the RV/campsite, please dish!
(It's only my second trip and I can't believe how nervous I am about it. OTOH nice to finally get a chance to do it.)

Getting used to being out and about in different places takes time. Learning about different areas and gaining knowledge of localities then realizing their unique situations at certain periods of time is what makes travel fun for me.

Might be kinda noisy there during the week, Laughlin AFB - biggest flying training base in the USAF is there outside Del Rio. More takeoffs during the week than any other airport in the U.S. For me it's sweet music. "Jet noise - the Sound of Freedom"...(y)
For other... May be less so...
Cheers!

Good to have a heads up. Amazing to think about all the places people will go and the things they'll do after they leave a place like Laughlin.

Personally I find transportation noise a little easier to tune out than, say, party noise. I lived/worked next to a freight train line for seven years once. I could sort of measure my stress level based on how much the train whistle bugged me. If I jumped and started going $%^&*¡@ ... I knew it was time to take a break.

Sigh ... actual train whistles ... those were the days ...

I suggest you head to YouTube and use keywords to find video reviews of places you want to camp. Seeing it on video is worth a thousand words.

Good to have a heads up. Amazing to think about all the places people will go and the things they'll do after they leave a place like Laughlin.

Personally I find transportation noise a little easier to tune out than, say, party noise. I lived/worked next to a freight train line for seven years once. I could sort of measure my stress level based on how much the train whistle bugged me. If I jumped and started going $%^&*¡@ ... I knew it was time to take a break.

Sigh ... actual train whistles ... those were the days ...
Boxcar Willie.

I'm a huge train buff.

Cheers!

Just to follow up, it is very nice, quiet, regular security patrols, friendly staff. Tent camp area is about a block from rv site (car campers can use either), has grodier bathroom but more shade. I couldn't manage the heat, d@mmit,was having trouble breathing ++, have fled to a motel, :( :(

will give this another crack soon. Meanwhile I'd def recommend this place for tent RV or motel (they have all three). Pretty campus, buckets o' history, not too pricey. Nice now, and if this drought ever ends it ought to be stunning