Forgiving Student Loan Debt For Disabled

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

broken ed

Reaction score
https://www.npr.org/2019/08/21/7532...ng-all-federal-student-loan-debt-for-disabled

The above link has a transcript and audio file of a story about Federal student loan forgiveness for both vets and non-vets that are disabled. Hope it helps somebody...

from the story:
"this is actually a pre-existing program since 1965 - the Higher Education Act."

"designed to increase the number of "permanently disabled veterans" who erase their federal student loan debt."

"But there may be 10 times as many non-vets, maybe hundreds of thousands of Americans who are disabled, and they're not even aware that they're eligible to have their debts forgiven. So it's great news for disabled veterans today, and maybe other people will also find out that they have been eligible all this while to have their federal student loan debt forgiven."

If you, as a parent, took out a student loan for your child, and YOU later became totally, permanently, disabled, and have documentation, you, the parent, should also be able to have that loan forgiven, also. Worth looking into.

Ella1, I don't know if you know about this, or if it could even help, but there is a program for paying back student loans base on your income. In some cases it can lower your payments. This is a government website (.gov) for "income-driven repayment plan." I'm sure (actually I don't know for sure, but strongly suspect) if you qualify you are referred to private lenders, so caution.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/understand/plans/income-driven

I think that it is amazing and that is a perfect example of a good government. This information is really important for all disabled kids. 2 years ago, I finished my master's degree, and I found a good job.

I believe the topic is paying for other people's student loan debt or don't say anything at all. And things like there is an endless supply of money from the gobvernment[sic] is the only way to do it. If you are not for this then you are being off topic. BTW, this is an economical opinion regarding specifically the merits of paying off other people's student loan debt.

I believe the topic is paying for other people's student loan debt or don't say anything at all. And things like there is an endless supply of money from the gobvernment[sic] is the only way to do it. If you are not for this then you are being off topic. BTW, this is an economical opinion regarding specifically the merits of paying off other people's student loan debt.
Absolutely

The original post was to inform members about the program not to debate the merits of the program or argue about people who aren't involved in the program but chose not to pay their student loan debts. You can argue about this on other forums but not here.

And it’s forgiveness… not paying it off. But I’m done with talking to brick walls with no ears. Haha. Now back to bed.

Stop deleting peoples posts and just lock the thread. Its already been stated "The original post was to inform members about the program" clearly no discussion is allowed passed that. Just lock it, its old anyway.

Actually, the whole thread is political and will generate political debate no matter what; the topic is off-topic for a van living forum, to be honest. I'm surprised it was allowed. Deleting others' posts possibly shows partiality in the process and is the wrong way to go about things. You end up making others feel their opinions don't matter and are unwelcome. I'm with Ripper238, but go a step farther and delete the whole thread making it fair to the folks whose posts you've already deleted. Now, that's my 2-cent's worth.

Last edited:
My post was deleted, too, because it was off topic.

We get a notification of deletions, and the reason why, here, which is not the case on all forums.

This forum is pretty firm in its expectation that we not derail threads, and that is not new in the few years I have been here.

It doesn’t help to fuss about it and belabor it, in my opinion, nor to be fed up and stomp off.

They make the rules, we are expected to follow them.

I’m just not sure how a thread that was three years old got revived again. This seems to be an issue throughout the forum, someone comes across an old post, responds without noticing the date and then somehow it pops up as new activity and the ball starts rolling. i don’t have a fix for it as I’m not a techo. But there should be some notification when one tries to post to a long dead thread. I mean, if it’s a year old, with no activity it should be archived or closed … just a thought. As it’s out of date

I’m just not sure how a thread that was three years old got revived again. This seems to be an issue throughout the forum, someone comes across an old post, responds without noticing the date and then somehow it pops up as new activity and the ball starts rolling. i don’t have a fix for it as I’m not a techo. But there should be some notification when one tries to post to a long dead thread. I mean, if it’s a year old, with no activity it should be archived or closed … just a thought. As it’s out of date
This forum allowed me to finally understand why most forums forbid necroposting. Prior to joining here, I found it curious and sometimes frustrating when a mod would "scold" someone for necroposting. I thought that if they let people resurrect old posts, then more current posts about same topic would be available in that thread.

Here we see that is not what happens.

I think forums allow necroposting when they want the forum to appear more active. I'm with you... no necroposting.

I have seen a LOT of older posts show up, I think with the new format, and a lot of new members they are going through the forums and finding topic they like and start replying to them.

I tend to look at the start date and if the OP has ever returned to follow up the post.

Also if you look at the bottom of the post there is a similar thread that is even older showing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.