Ford / Triton Spark Plug Issue

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckwonder

Reaction score
Hi All.  Since hot air is burning up my foot on the gas pedal and it's just as hot in the passenger footwell, I've taken the van in for a tune-up, to inspect the heat shields, and to address any leaky seals in the engine cover.  Since I happened to come across the spark plug issue, I mentioned this to my mechanic, who said, "Ford?  I used to have a Ford.  They take this-and-such spark plug".  I mentioned that it is a known issue for my year (2004) on the Triton V-10 E-350, that eventually the tips will break off and drop into the heads, not a good thing.  I heard Champion brand spark plugs will fix it, but I don't know.  He also said other than making sure the bolts and clamps are tight on the engine cover, beyond that he does not know what to do other than order a new cover.  I am trying to get on the road.  Do I really need a new cover or is there another fix?  Also, he'll probably just put whatever spark plugs on it thinking I must be nuts.  This is a good mechanic, one I trust, but he may not be aware of this issue, so I just mentioned it.  Told him I might be wrong and to see what he sees.  Any other experience out there with this?

You just replace the old 2 piece plug design with a regular one piece design and you're good.
As for shallow thread on some of the Ford mod motors. Nothing can be done about it really.
Make a cover for your dog house and that will keep some of the heat off of ya.

Gideon33w said:
You just replace the old 2 piece plug design with a regular one piece design and you're good.
As for shallow thread on some of the Ford mod motors. Nothing can be done about it really.
Make a cover for your dog house and that will keep some of the heat off of ya.

Ok, I told him about the piece breaking off so I will trust he'll get a one piece design.  The thread thing sounds unpleasant and costly as if the plugs are going to blow off one day in the middle of the road, there has to be something.  What kind of cover are you thinking?  I was wondering if butyl is heat-resistant, maybe put some of that around the seal or something else?

duckwonder said:
  I was wondering if butyl is heat-resistant, maybe put some of that around the seal or something else?

Butyl is a water sealant, I don't suppose it will do anything for heat. But excessive heat from the engine will dry the butyl up in a hurry. Old dried butyl strips become little pieces that look more like dried up chewing gum than anything else.

If someone has had the dog house off it's entirely possible that they didn't put it back on properly. Depending on the cover there may be bolt down connectors, snap latches etc. Also there should be a rubber seal between the dog house and the floor/firewall that may or may not be installed correctly. Double check to make sure that the seal and all the fasteners are in place properly.

duckwonder said:
I heard Champion brand spark plugs will fix it, but I don't know. 

The new 1-piece Motorcraft sparkplugs are the recommended plugs, not just in this video, but on the Ford forums also.

(video bandwidth and length warning!)

Replacing plugs on the Triton motors:

Almost There said:
But excessive heat from the engine will dry the butyl up in a hurry. Old dried butyl strips become little pieces that look more like dried up. 

Depending on the cover there may be bolt down connectors, snap latches etc. Also there should be a rubber seal between the dog house and the floor/firewall that may or may not be installed correctly. 

Ok thanks, I like the foil idea around it and under the carpet, maybe that will help.

He knew to check the connectors and latches and said if the rubber seal is not working, he wants to order a new engine cover.  I don't know if that is just recommended or if the foil will block most of the heat and be just fine.  Which to do?

tx2sturgis said:
The new 1-piece Motorcraft sparkplugs are the recommended plugs, not just in this video, but on the Ford forums also.

(video bandwidth and length warning!)

Replacing plugs on the Triton motors:

Aha, and the worlds collide.  Motorcraft makes the new one piece plugs.  And anything one piece will probably be fine.  Ok, I bet he does get the Motorcraft but I'll check in to see what he decided.  Thanks y'all.

I suspect that the mechanic has no idea how to put an engine cover back on properly. He may be a very adequate mechanic but if he's spent his whole career working mostly on cars and pick ups he's unwittingly left you with the heat problem.

I've never ever seen a whole engine cover need to be replaced even on stuff that is now ready for the museum. The cover themselves don't wear out.

For a 2004 there is no way unless someone has been drilling holes in the engine cover that it should need anything more than being put in properly. Unless of course someone removed the entire rubber gasket at which point that's all you need.

Where about are you...we may be able to find someone familiar with vans close to you that knows how to put the engine cover back on tightly.

If we can't find someone for you then the next best thing is to use some reflectix up and over the edge of the cover, tucked in under the carpet until you get to the RTR where there will be a contest to see who can help you first...lol.

Almost There said:
I suspect that the mechanic has no idea how to put an engine cover back on properly. He may be a very adequate mechanic but if he's spent his whole career working mostly on cars and pick ups he's unwittingly left you with the heat problem.

I've never ever seen a whole engine cover need to be replaced even on stuff that is now ready for the museum. The cover themselves don't wear out.

For a 2004 there is no way unless someone has been drilling holes in the engine cover that it should need anything more than being put in properly. Unless of course someone removed the entire rubber gasket at which point that's all you need.

Where about are you...we may be able to find someone familiar with vans close to you that knows how to put the engine cover back on tightly.

If we can't find someone for you then the next best thing is to use some reflectix up and over the edge of the cover, tucked in under the carpet until you get to the RTR where there will be a contest to see who can  help you first...lol.

Aw, he wasn't the one who messed with the engine cover.  He used to have a Ford.  The rubber gasket, that must be the culprit.  Will ask if it is a huge pita to get one and/or cover the whole area and under the carpet with HVAC self-adhesive foil.  Definitely feeling a need for comfort on the feet.  The glitch is, he does chassis work for me, which I appreciate.  Messing with carpet and foil may qualify as "RV side," in which case I will be finding out how my sciatica agrees with getting all up and around the front with an exacto knife.  I could maybe do it.

Easiest way to do the reflectix is to buy it in the 12" wide roll. Or you can cut down some if you already have access to it.

Then you can mostly pre-cut it. Measure as straight a line as you can find - for example down one side of the bottom of the engine cover like the drivers' side. Cut a piece a couple of inches longer than that. Repeat around the bottom edge of the engine cover.

Mark a strip down the middle that's about 3" wide with a sharpie. Now, about every 4" you can use a utility knife (or scissors if they're not for the sewing room...lol) and cut in from the outside edge to each of those marks.

The will allow the inside curve to spread and the outside curve to overlap.

Use aluminum tape to hold the one edge on to the dog house and the other side goes under the carpet or use the self adhesive type.

Doing this on a table will minimize the amount of time you spend on your hands and knees inside the van.

Actually, you really only  need to do the drivers' side for foot comfort unless there's a reason to do the passenger side.

Update:
Ok, it really was a clamp on the doghouse! I could not wrap my head around how that could be left unsecured by anyone at anytime, but I drove 5000 miles with it like that and no idea that was not normal for the van (happiness can make a person virtually blind, including me) until it was mentioned in this forum. I am grateful to the forum.

The gasket around the engine cover looks good. The cover itself looks good. He was waiting for me to check in this morning. Ford said this is not the motor they were talking about so I need to find that exact post again quoting model years Triton V-10s have the problem, the one where Ford acknowledges that they do have the problem. Regardless, my mechanic is getting Motorcraft plugs and I suggested he get the new one piece design, that that should work. He contained his chuckling because he's gracious that way. He also said he's looking into some time of additional insulation for the manifold and will put it on for me. I didn't ask for that but sure did agree to it. I wish I could put him in my pocket and take him on the trip with me, the whole team really. I think he mentioned the engine cover to make sure I would look into this too - I think he's worried about me on the road. He knows I am trying to learn. Big virtual hugs to all the good ones everywhere. Thank you Almost There, guess what?, I'm almost there. I'm leaving in a week, getting generator fixed in TX, then it will take me awhile to get out to Lake Havasu, but I'm almost there!!!

Oh!  And the passenger side insulation was in case I ever have a passenger, And because my propane tank will live right there.  Thank you guys!

One more update, because it's fixed!  

The mechanic did the tune-up, not with Champion spark-plugs, with brand new Motorcraft plugs from the dealer for my Triton.  He also did some magic in there, and now the whole van drives better, Way better, it's shocking.  The steering is even better.  The engine cover is now properly installed.  He said I can call from the road whenever I'd like.  My thoughts went directly to the Weboost I have in a box, but I really appreciated that offer and will absolutely do that when possible.  He's glad I'm trying to learn some basics.  He's glad I'm checking in with others that have more experience than I do.  He put in a larger fuel filter as a surprise.  Some days are just GOOD.   :)

Just in case anyone cares, this is from a Ford truck forum, remember Ford vans are not the 3 valve design, they are 2 valve due to clearance issues:

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]"I think you guys are getting confused with 3 valve and 2 valve engines. On a 01 V10 this would be a 2 valve engine. There arent any problems with plugs at all. The only problems is that there arent many threads in the heads that's why the plugs blow out. The plugs that break off in the heads are on the 3 valve engines. Not sure when they started with the 3 valve 6.8. Probably 05, but im not sure... go change plugs on a 3 valve engine with over 100k miles then come talk to me. You have never done a tune up until u tune one of these up. There are tricks to not breaking the plugs, but its gonna happen sooner or later trust me. I have removed a few heads because the customer tried to remove a broken plug on a 3 valve and while attempting to break out the porcelain drove the plug too far into the head..."[/font]

It is totally fixed, no issues or problems so far.  The new plugs are great.