For those that view long distance road trips as a waste, why?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are in an RV and not traveling (even a little), is that living? Edit to add: or existing?

A lot depends on the spot and the RV, and the people or lack of people you seek.

I would like to travel, but am not there financially yet. But I enjoy my trailer more than any house or apartment I've lived in for at least the last dozen years. Meanwhile, I'm slowly preparing, in a comfortable spot, and happy with that.

It seems a peculiar question, because it could easily be flipped around to, If you are in an RV and traveling, is that really living? Or existing? Asking the question presupposes already having a very decided preference -- and sounds like being mystified if everyone else doesn't have it too.

For every person who wants no roots or ever-changing scenery, there are many more who want roots or have a favorite spot to be, and also some who are reasonably adaptable either way.

Moving or still, you're still in the same container. Do you like the container?

I know people who think mine is a hardship. But actually I love it.

You said yourself you would like to travel. It may be OK where you are but you seem to want to leave? Dunno

Can't have everything in life. At least not right away, usually. I'm lucky enough to at least be working toward my hopes.

I'm sure everyone has different situations, goals, preferences. As well as finances and abilities. I try not to burden myself thinking about all the things I can't do and instead enjoy the things I can do.

I live in a neighborhood where half the people are widows and all of them are seniors. I can literally go from one house to another and see a woman crying in each one, sometimes I get around to four crying women in a day, including my mother, who has breast cancer and just had reconstructive surgery. Everyone is dying or grieving or both, or thinking about dying, or maybe wishing for death. Everyone is frightened of loneliness and decline. My life is less than ideal, like most everybody's, but it's easy to see that others have problems too.

We get along.

In this case the OP's intention is discussing finances, they are anti-frugality it seems.

B and C said:
Do I drive just to drive?  No and I don't know anybody that does.
That's all I meant by mindless driving, just doing it without thinking, especially about how expensive long distances are for those without big bank accounts.

That sort of mindfulness has nothing to do with choosing a predetermined destination.

But yes, sometimes I just want to be "elsewhere", and **if I can afford** my $1 per mile into the vehicle account, I may just keep going until I get to a place where I want to stop.

But if I'm skint at that time, might take me weeks to go a few hundred miles, may need to stop do some earning / saving in the meantime.

B and C said:
If you are in an RV and not traveling (even a little), is that living? Edit to add: or existing?
Absolutely. When I'm in a great spot and life is good I may stay put for a long time.

In Australia I camped in a spot for 4 years, ended up building a few homes with / for the locals, put kids in school for a while.

Still traveled some, but can be nice to have a home base, long as it continues to work for me.

If someone can't afford to drive long distances they won't but that is them being mindful of their situation. Everyone here seems to profess the desire to travel and are working toward that goal. I am there so I don't have to work toward it anymore. I am free to travel where I want when circumstances beyond my control allow it. Staying put now is very tough after tasting the freedom of the open road...

I am glad you were happy staying put for 4 years. I would have a hard time at a month so I am quite glad there are 14 day stay limits most places here.

This is under going green category so I would think all the questions are about using up resources. Drive further and use this amt of gas for whatever reason? Can you justify it? Buy a larger rv if you can and use up those resources 'just cause' you can and is that using resources mindfully?

Is that the right vibe to this thread LOL I read thru it and it sways from reasons we travel how we want and then it has a little to do about practicing green ethics in our lives if we want to do just that, put a going green footprint into our life and acting on those in our lives as we travel.

I am not a greenie at all, well I am a little :) I will recycle my garbage kinda, I am mindful of wasting money on things, not due to their green nature involvement etc., I do it solely on my finances and what they can support in how I want to live and what I want to buy.

So not being an active green goer and putting that into practice every day and worrying about going green totally in my life, I say everyone should buy what they want and travel and use gas as they see fit in their life.
Some will be more mindful, some will never give it a passing thought and others are going to be in the middle of the going green issues. I hope I got this answered kinda right about what everyone is chatting about...being green in their life and how it affects their travel. :) Being green isn't in my mind when I decide how I want to hit the road, in what rig and how far I drive at any given time, my monetary situation and desires/wants of how I want to travel do that for me.