Flipping the passenger seat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebarefootbadger

Reaction score
My latest greatest 'hmm, wonder if this will work' idea is to turn the passenger seat in my 2021 Sienna to face the rear when camping.  I could use it as a very comfortable home base chair, as well as incorporating it in a bed build. I guess i could just take the seat out entirely and build something else there, but it would be hugely convenient to have it face backward, and I know there isn't enough space to swivel it.  It's an electric seat (Is There Anything About This Vehicle Build That's Not A PITA???  Ahem.), but I wouldn't need the electric element to work, it could just be stationary when reversed. (I have an extra airbag dongle, so the airbag sensor wouldn't be an issue assuming it's the same setup as the 2nd row seats.)

I realize it's unlikely anyone has done this in a 2021 Sienna yet, but i have seen it in one or two builds on other things, so I guess the question goes out to everyone - have you considered doing this on a newer vehicle, have you tried it and, :dodgy: , how did that work for you?

You ought to be able to figure it out before hand. If you have a plan b that involves removing the seat just go ahead and try it.

I would never use any replacement with a human.

Make sure there is no air bag in the seat back. Better yet just don't hook up the electrics. If there is an air bag and you excite it, it can knock you you *** over heels.
Bob

I can't speak for the Sienna, but I have reversed the passenger seat for camping on my Mazda CX-5 and current 2015 Subaru Forester. I was ver cautious the first times on both- disconnecting battery and underseat connectors. Now I just remove the four bolts, flop it around (carefully) and rebolt it. Only when camping solo, of course, it cannot be ridden in that way. I'm hoping to purchase a Sienna next year so hoping it can be done on this as well. It REALLY makes camping more pleasant to have this seat to hang out in, eat meals, read when the wether is bad or at night before bed.

Now I just remove the four bolts, flop it around (carefully) and rebolt it.
It's kinda unusual that the bolts/holes would line up when the seat is reversed. Or did you have to do some drilling?
I've reversed seats in older Dodge and Ford vans (no airbags) but had to drill or enlarge a couple of the holes in the bases to get all 4 bolts to line up.

Last edited:
It's kinda unusual that the bolts/holes would line up when the seat is reversed. Or did you have to do some drilling?
I've reversed seats in older Dodge and Ford vans (no airbags) but had to drill or enlarge a couple of the holes in the bases to get all 4 bolts to line up.
I had to do minor drilling on the Subaru seat rails. There were two small nubs on the floor-mounted rails, I drilled a whole in each seat rail to accommodate the nubs when reversed. I don't think there is any structural issue and no one will notice when the vehicle is sold.

I had to do minor drilling on the Subaru seat rails. There were two small nubs on the floor-mounted rails, I drilled a whole in each seat rail to accommodate the nubs when reversed. I don't think there is any structural issue and no one will notice when the vehicle is sold.

Hi psartman,

I really like what you did with your Forester, reversing the passenger seat. It's something I am going to try, whatever vehicle I settle on. You mentioned here (and in Subaru forum) that you also did this with your Mazxda CX5. Was it necessary to do any drilling in the case of the CX5? I haven't settled on a vehicle yet, but given your experiences, the Forester and the CX5 are in the running. I'm even considering a CX9, because it is bigger (although I haven't actually ever seen one in person), in hopes that the seat reversal would be just as doable as it is for the CX5.

Thanks much!
3rd3rd

Hi psartman,

I really like what you did with your Forester, reversing the passenger seat. It's something I am going to try, whatever vehicle I settle on. You mentioned here (and in Subaru forum) that you also did this with your Mazxda CX5. Was it necessary to do any drilling in the case of the CX5? I haven't settled on a vehicle yet, but given your experiences, the Forester and the CX5 are in the running. I'm even considering a CX9, because it is bigger (although I haven't actually ever seen one in person), in hopes that the seat reversal would be just as doable as it is for the CX5.

Thanks much!
3rd3rd
As I recall. I needed to get two longer bolts and add two short steel spacers when the Mazda seat was flipped because the mounting surface is at different levels in front and back. But no drilling or mods required.

Even though this post is inching up on 1 year in age, perhaps a check with the Toy. dealership to ensure any modification like that won't void the manufacturer's warranty, should happen.

Not sure how the OP proceeded with any seat mod, as they never followed up on it since it first appeared?

Also, if there were any "non stock" wiring issues done during the modifications, they could create additional unintended issues with the BCM or other electronic gadgetry in the van???

Last edited: