FlameKing portable propane heater w/THERMOSTAT

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a link to the PDF manual on the Flame King.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/A1ZtAUhAeTL.pdf

I unboxed the heater and fired it up without issue yesterday. I can't really test it thoroughly as it's still too warm here in Florida. When the thermostat kicks the heater off after it reaches temperature, the pilot light remains lit and the igniter is unnecessary except when you first light it. It's all in the manual. The open flame is what it is and that may be a deal killer for some. To turn the heater all the way off, you just turn the knob to 'off' and like magic, the pilot light goes off. You can also turn it to 'pilot' and the pilot light will remain lit, but the heater won't fire up.

I bought it as a backup heater. No way I'd sleep with it on..

When I first fired the heater up, I was outside on the screen porch. Last night I brought it inside and lit it in the living room. I can't recommend this heater for a van or anything that size. The pilot light is way too big. I would say it's about the same diameter as a cigarette and over an inch and a half long. It does kick out some serious heat though.

I may send it back or keep it for emergencies but that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Well, thanks for the review. Now I don't have to buy one!

I DO like the Flame-King refillable propane bottles...mainly for my lantern and LP stove.

You're welcome.
My living room is pretty small at about 11'x15.' For lack of a better word I just felt 'overwhelmed' by that pilot light as it stays on as the heater cycles. I guess if I was freezing my butt off it would be welcome. It reminded me of cooking on my Coleman one burner stove with the gas turned way down. That's too much open flame for me to be comfortable with indoors for any length of time.

I have one of those Flame King refillable 1lb bottles. In fact, that's what I tested the heater with. I usually use it with the Coleman stove so I don't have to have a hose running to it from the 20lb tank in the van. They're scarce right now. Flame King is out of them but there are a few sharks selling them on Ebay for a small fortune

Just an update. Flame King removed the 5000 BTU-10000 BTU line from the product listing from both their website and Amazon. There's no switch for low to high, just a dial for the thermostat. It's now listed as 10000 BTU only. I'm sending it back. It throws out a lot of heat but it's going to gobble propane. Also, last night I lit it and had it going for a while then dialed the thermostat back. It shut down to the pilot light but it didn't relight itself properly on a lower setting. It tried to light but the flame was just flickering over the ceramic panel and never turned it red

:thumbsup:
There were three 'used' units listed on Amazon last night so I'm not the only one who's not happy. I wanted to like this heater. I'd trust it on a patio as long as I could keep an eye on it I guess. No way I'd run one of them indoors

You should see my vented propane heater.... no fumes inside my cargo trailer.