First Time RTR Attendee Seeks Guidance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malkey

Reaction score
Hi RTR nomads!

Hope that you're all well and enjoying the Christmas festivities.

Folks, I'm coming to RTR on a wing and prayer. Just renting a small van.  As this is my very first RTR, I'd like to enlist some additional help from the pros and seasoned RTR attendees.  
Any clarification, guidance or help with the following would be most appreciated:

1. I was told that in order to get a decent spot near the festivities that it's best to arrive at least 2 days prior to the event. Is this true?

2. Will there be port-a-potties available at RTR and if so, are RTR attendees permitted to use them?

3. Hygiene and morning ablutions: Is there anywhere in or near the RTR rendezvous point where one can shower, shave and brush teeth? Would any RVers be open and willing to use their place to shave/shower and brush teeth for a fee?

4. Is there a place in/near RTR to do laundry?

5. Once RTR attendees have established a parking spot, can one still use their van or rig to get things in town (i.e. shopping, gas, etc.) and still get their original space when they return? If not, what are some alternatives?

6. What type of signage does one need for RTR? (e.g. any signs needed to reserve dwelling space like STAY OUT, NO TRESPASSING, RESERVED PARKING)

Thanks in advance for your help, tips.

Cheers,

Malcolm (Malkey)

My opinions:

2. My understanding is they are put there by Bob for the RTR
3. Most vandwelling folk don't shower (as such) everyday; the water consumption would be prohibitive. Most do a sink bath or wipedown. One easy way to get warm water is to throw a $10 solar shower dealie from walmart on the dash with a gallon or two of water in it. It will likley be warm by afternoon. Toothbrushing can be done with a cup of water.
5. one alternative is not to worry about it. Move if you must; you'll meet new friends at the new spot, too.
6. again, I wouldn't worry about reserving a space. Stay nimble!

let me try,

1. the spots close to the main fire pit/seminar fill up fast.
2. I believe this year there will be port-a-potties
3. there are showers at the laundrymat and another place that I can't recall at the moment.
4. yes, see #3.
5. yes you can leave. leave something in your spot like a chair. also talk to your neighbors most people will keep an eye on your spot.
6. no signs needed
highdesertranger

Malkey said:
1. I was told that in order to get a decent spot near the festivities that it's best to arrive at least 2 days prior to the event. Is this true?

If you choose to arrive early then your free permit will expire early. Also, arriving early might mean that the colored street signs Bob has planned for this year won't even be up. You will have no idea where things are going to be. The desert is a huge open area and there is  no need to panic about finding a place to park.

2. Will there be port-a-potties available at RTR and if so, are RTR attendees permitted to use them?

The porta- potties are there for general use but if you can provide your own washroom facilities you'd be much better off (even if it's the bucket method) than having to share them with all those that don't have their own facilities. Most of the porta potties will probably be centralized to the seminar area for use during daytime activities. They won't necessarily be nearby where you are parked.

3. Hygiene and morning ablutions: Is there anywhere in or near the RTR rendezvous point where one can shower, shave and brush teeth? Would any RVers be open and willing to use their place to shave/shower and brush teeth for a fee?

The fellows that shave every morning usually do so in either their vehicle or standing using the outside mirror. Brushing teeth is usually done with a small glass of water and a close bush. The closest showers are in town at the laundromat and cost $7 or $8. Most of us have solar showers or heat water for in them if the timing for solar heat isn't possible. Other than that, it's sponge baths inside your vehicle. Most all of us who are already living as nomads have little enough space to ourselves...I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for someone to volunteer their 'home' for a stranger to shower in, even those who are in full scale RVs!

4. Is there a place in/near RTR to do laundry?

The closest laundromat is in town, approximately 5 miles from the RTR area.

5. Once RTR attendees have established a parking spot, can one still use their van or rig to get things in town (i.e. shopping, gas, etc.) and still get their original space when they return? If not, what are some alternatives?

Once you're parked, get to know your immediate neighbors. Unless there is some kind of a problem, most neighbors are friendly and more than willing to look out for your spot while you're gone. Also, oftentimes, a group will 'car-pool' for running errands.

6. What type of signage does one need for RTR? (e.g. any signs needed to reserve dwelling space like STAY OUT, NO TRESPASSING, RESERVED PARKING)

No signage needed unless you don't want to meet your neighbors, then feel free to post as many 'no trespassing signs' as you want. (Sorry, my sarcasm gets the better of my fingers at times). You're there to  meet people, not chase them off!

There aren't parking spots.  There are no lines painted on the desert.  There are no bad spots.  If you prefer peace and quiet you probably want more distance to your neighbors.  The walk to the fire pit is good exercise.  If you leave a camp chair it is likely to save the spot for you.  I wouldn't worry that the chair might go missing.  If you leave and come back and someone got your space just park somewhere else.  There will be new neighbors.  They will likely be as good as the old ones.

Even a rented van can be pretty much self contained.  A bucket with an air tight lid, a box of tall kitchen trash bags and a foam plumbing insulation seat cushion is a toilet.  A jug to pee in takes care of the overnight necessities.  Some gallon jugs of water, one per day is a water supply for cooking and drinking.  Cans of food like tuna and dry stuff like pasta and rice are easy prep foods.  A propane camp stove will do what you need.  Bring a pot.  You need a flash light and a sleeping bag or blankets.  A cell phone charger that plugs in to a cigarette lighter socket might be all the electricity you need.

When the Escapees start to arrive they park their huge class A motor homes in neat rows with just enough space for the slides to come out without hitting.  They are funny to watch.  They park close to I10.  The RTR van people are another mile south, farther away from I10.

Quartzsite has all services you will need. Groceries are overpriced, stock up before you arrive. The farther out you get the more privacy you will have. Unless there are 10,000 people there are no bad spots.

DLTooley said:
Quartzsite has all services you will need.  Groceries are overpriced, stock up before you arrive.  The farther out you get the more privacy you will have.  Unless there are 10,000 people there are no bad spots.

Thanks, Doug, most appreciated. What's the best way to meet fellow nomads? Any tips would be most welcome. Hope to see you there. 
Cheers,
Malcolm

"What's the best way to meet fellow nomads?" say hi to everybody, walk around stop when you see someone and say hi. you won't have any problems meeting people. highdesertranger

I'm a first timer here in Quartzsite this year arrived at the end of October, probably return at the end of March. Come back next year before Dec 1. 4 months is about my limit.

I'm also staying at an RV park, didn't know what I was doing trying to boon dock but I'm a fast learner. Like the amenities but decided after learning the ropes with T-trailers I think I have mastered most of them. Next year will be an attempt towards the end of the season with BLM boon docking, see how it goes. I'm going to drive over I-10 to check out the RTR, right now I'm still trying to browse the many flea market tents.

Since my wifi is questionable at best, I have to jump in when it's available. Today the 26th has seen an influx of motor homes, trailers, 5th wheels & the varied & sundry makeshift vehicles is enormous. I think I've seen just about conversion possible then lo' n behold here comes another DIY camper.

I'm actually getting more exercise than I thought I might. I find I have more energy & feel so much butter. My 'senior' bruises have all cleared up. My glucose counts are low, low had to cut back on the insulin. I'm walking about 2 miles a day through the dust & cactus. Bunnie abound as do the coyotes, I haven't seen a scorpion or rattler, but been warned. I was talking to a guy who is from my home state, said he left his wife of 32 years 3 years ago. She didn't want to come. He couldn't stand the rain & gloom that we deal with in the NW. He says his eyesight has even cleared up, he can run faster & jump higher, sounds like the ad for Keds.

Hi Malkey,
In one of Bobs recent videos he talks at length about how to meet other nomads at the RTR. It's always helpful to ask questions and show interest in other people ...their rig, their outfit, their dog, etc.

Get a small camp stove ...butane or propane. Buy pots pans dish, fork, water jugs, etc at thrift store. Also blankets and sleeping bag at thrift store...it's cold at night. Folding table would be handy as a cook station. Folding chair to bring to seminars.
Baby wipes for washing up in the van, and go into Quartzsite for occasional shower at the laundromat.
Potty - 5 gallon bucket with lid, or big Tupperware container (be creative). Line bucket with 13 gal size trash bags. Pour some cat litter in. Poop in that. Pee in a bottle and discreetly dump pee on a bush far away from other people.
Duct tape to tape up privacy curtains in the van. Buy curtains or fabric at thrift store.

No néed scary signs. We're pretty much a friendly and easy going group, even though there's going to be a lot of us. I was struck by how peaceful everyone is.
Come prepared to have fun! Let whatever happens happen!

Thank you everyone, this will also be my first RTR, I am not scared (too much) about the process, only about my arrival. I likely won't make it there until around 7-PM Saturday night so well after the gathering has begun. Finding a place to park seems a bit daunting since it will likely be after dark. I am hoping it will be organic and I will know where to go and how to get to where everyone is mingling. Any suggestions about knowing what to do when I get there after dark? This will also be my first go at solo camping in a rented mini van! (I hope I think of everything I need!) Also, does anyone know about the Algodonas seminar? Will this be a trip to Mexico or just a talk about it. (I am guessing it is a trip since Bob mentioned several times about needing a passport) and if it is a trip, will there be car pools? Thank you very much in advance for your help, I hope I posted this in the right place. and can find the replies if any LOL

Welcome to the CRVL forums ICR Adventure! Do not drive to the RTR site in the dark. Instead park along the road that parallels the interstate. Bob has a map on his RTR thread - https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=26146 As you drive east along the road you will hit a place where the road is still paved but very bumpy. This is the beginning of a section of 2 week free BLM camping. There are many large areas on the right side from there until the right turn onto the dirt road leading to the RTR site where you can pull off and camp. Just take care so that you do not drive into the ditches or washes. The entry roads are a little hard to spot.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi ICR Adventure,
I arrived after dark last year and did okay. Although it's easy to miss the small sign and turn into the RTR in the dark. I just drove in until I saw a fire with people around it. Parked my van right there and hung out with people at the fire.
Or you could drive to the end of the road and wait for other tribe members coming back from town. Then you could follow them in. Make yourself a "RTR " sign to hold up to identify yourself to make it easier.
You could always relocate the next day when you can see better.

The Algodones seminar is just a talk about it. Then there might be a loosely organized group that caravan down together after the whole RTR is over. You might be able to find people to carpool with if you ask around.
Have fun, and welcome!