First pic of interior Dodge High Top

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice did you repaint it or did a bit of polish and elbow grease get it looking so tidy.

Complete repaint including inside of doors and jambs. I bought the paint and supplies for $300.00 and my buddy who owns a body shop painted it for free. It's nice to have friends like that.

That looks really great! It has a nice, warm feel to it. The kind of place you want to spend time, which of course is important if it's your home.

Well done!

66788 said:
18 feet 8 inches bumper to bumper.
NICE! Can you tell us a bit more about the van? You know, year, which engine, trans, etc? Gear head inquiring minds like me want to know.
I have a line on a 74 1 ton that looks a lot like yours, but not nearly as nice as yours of course. It has a 318 with automatic.

Mine is a 360 cubic inch engine 5.9 liters, with an older non locking 727 trans with a shift kit. The 1989 was the first year of fuel injection using a throttle body (TBI). The TBI makes the van run great cold or hot, at sea level or at 8,000 feet. Mileage varies between 10-13 depending on grade of fuel, terrain, and load. (pulling a 6x12 cargo trailer) I chose the older style 727 over the newer one because the older ones are bullet proof in police, taxi, and racing uses.

The 318 should give far better mileage than the 360 under normal conditions. Dodge vans are great in my book, but then I've only seen rust free Cali vans, not the ones from the East coast that won't even cast a shadow on a sunny day.

66788 said:
Mine is a 360 cubic inch engine 5.9 liters, with an older non locking 727 trans with a shift kit.   The 1989 was the first year of fuel injection using a throttle body (TBI).   The TBI makes the van run great cold or hot, at sea level or at 8,000 feet.   Mileage varies between 10-13 depending on grade of fuel, terrain, and load.  (pulling a 6x12 cargo trailer)   I chose the older style 727 over the newer one because the older ones are bullet proof in police, taxi, and racing uses.

The 318 should give far better mileage than the 360 under normal conditions.   Dodge vans are great in my book, but then I've only seen rust free Cali vans, not the ones from the East coast that won't even cast a shadow on a sunny day.
I'm afraid my reply is a couple years late due to various things like life, moving, etc. but I did end up getting a Dodge van. 5.2 L (318) don't have the number handy but my trans shop guys told me it's the same one Dodge used behind the Cummings Turbo. I don't think my little 318 will hurt it.
71,000 original miles on a 3/4 ton. It could probably use a bit of help in the bodyshop though.

Here are a few more recent pics.   I've slept in this thing for two years now and the 9 inch memory foam mattress has made those nights very comfortable.

MTNomad said:
Very nice work. I too am leaning towards that ARB fridge.

That ARB fridge is one of those purchases that far exceeds one's expectations.   I've opened up the fridge when the van had been parked in the sun and it was 125 degrees inside and pulled out ice cold drinks that were 37 degrees inside the ARB fridge.

The amps that this thing draws are usually less than 2 when running.   Solar more than keeps up with 24/7 usage.