first aide

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanbrat

Reaction score
I have a fairly standard first aide kit, it is required for my business, but I think I might want more for travel  What does everyone carry.? We are planning to also pack our med records so if we are out somewhere and need them we have them, drugs ect my breathing sometimes sucks, his sky high blood pressure info etc..  also dogs records anything else we should have?

In addition to my auto first aid kit that is always in the glove box, I added the standard OTC meds that were already in my medicine cabinet - stuff like Benadryl, Immodium,a ntacid, cough syrup and decongestant - that sort of stuff.

There was no point in getting rid of it so it went in a small plastic tote and came along.

Some of the first aid kit will never get used by me but I'm ready to hand out stuff if some one else needs it.

I have a six month to one year supply of nebulizer and blood pressure meds. BP cuff. All sorts of cold and flu medication, stuff for fevers and pain. Antibiotics. Pretty much a basic pharmacy for all my regular and emergent needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we carry the standard OTC for fever, aches, pains, allergies, sinus and anti-itch creams, triple antibiotic stuff and the such. Other than that and a regular old first aid kit with the bandages and more, we don't add much more into it.

A copy of my living will in the glove box along with a magnifying glass, tweezers, led flashlight, duct tape, super glue, alcohol wipes, benadryl, aspirin, comb, and a multitool.

Over my past six years on the road, the first aid items I've needed were............ pretty much the same as the previous 60 years. Tweezers, antiseptic cream, bandaids... I've had a charmed life when it comes to injuries and illnesses. Nothing life threatening, no broken bones (not even when I was rear-ended on my motorcycle). But I have my Boy Scout training and can improvise in case something serious happens.

Oh, there was the time a shattered grinder disk cut a knuckle to the bone, but my "first aid" was to hold a paper towel to the wound while driving to the ER.

bullfrog said:
A copy of my living will in the glove box along with a magnifying glass, tweezers, led flashlight, duct tape, super glue, alcohol wipes, benadryl, aspirin, comb, and a multitool.

I never thought about a living will! I will add it t the papers! And a magnifying glass I  hate slivers! Got the rest thank you soo much

WanderingRose said:
What everyone else said, and I also carry a filled prescription for a broad spectrum antibiotic, should it be needed for a sinus infection, dirty wound, etc.

Wonder if I could get one from my dc she is slow with her prescription pad not that I mind I hate drugs and antibiotics leave me almost as sick as what ever, but I have had plenty of need of them good idea to have some around... Thank You

Oh, and if you have a furry companion you will need first aid items for them as well. One of my dogs got infected anal glands and some organic canned pumpkin and some amoxicillin fixed it up. A dog I am currently camped with tore his foot pad and socks with surgical tape along with triple antibiotic is fixing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first aid needs I that I sometimes see on travel blogs are for sprains of wrist, knee, ankles. Be sure you can take care of those with the right kind of gear. If you go hiking take along an ace bandage and some pain medications those and a walking stick can make all the difference in being able to get back to camp. Nowadays you can purchase inflatable air splits for emergencies. Sprained ankles and wrist can happen even from everyday things like getting out of a vehicle and putting your foot down the wrong way and twisting it or taking a tumble and landing on your hand.

Of course there is another common set of first aid needs that is related to the sun. Sunburn, heat exhaustion and even heat stroke. Most of those preventable but they can come on rather suddenly too if you are not paying attention. So you want to be prepared to treat all of those variations as well as recognize the early warning signs.