Fire Blanket?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In what sort of scenario do you envision using one? Yes, a fire, but what kind? What's on fire, how did it start?

I bought two of these in 2019, pretty compact and in a sleeve with a hanging loop on it.

I don’t recall the brand.

One is hanging by my cargo door, the other in a cabinet over my bed in the rear.

VanFan said:
Any thoughts/recommendation on carrying fire blankets?  Thanks.
no.  I won't be having that issue in some fire prone area but if googl'd I am sure there are tons of great options

MrNoodly said:
In what sort of scenario do you envision using one? Yes, a fire, but what kind? What's on fire, how did it start?
I haven't worked out those details yet ;).  Small electronics, cooking whoops (outside only), spouse?

I have two extinguishers.  The other day, I noticed the pin from one on the floor.  When I bent down to check the extinguisher, I heard a low hiss from the vicinity, and was glad the nozzle pointed under the bed.  Turned out the hiss was from the radio on a new power pack next to it!  It made me think about what a mess could be made.  The extinguishers will stay, but I'm thinking through options.  Smothering seems like a good one--except maybe for the spouse.

VanFan said:
I haven't worked out those details yet ;).  Small electronics, cooking whoops...

Do you have a history of things catching fire? If not, is there something about mobile living that makes you think there's a greater risk?

MrNoodly said:
Do you have a history of things catching fire? If not, is there something about mobile living that makes you think there's a greater risk?
Actually, no to both (in rational terms).  I did have an AGM power pack short out and flame at the home base.  My hearing is acute, and I heard it from another room in time to get it out the door and put it out.  That's about it.  Oh, and I do keep a large pan lid handy at the stove.  I do have a heightened sense of responsibility for personal and public safety when on the road, though.

With respect to your earlier question about types of fires, I just read a Wikipedia article that points to fire blankets not being the best choice for oil/grease fires.

VanFan said:
I haven't worked out those details yet ;).  Small electronics, cooking whoops (outside only), spouse?

I carry a couple of Fire Gone 16 oz spray can extinguishers, one in my cooking area and one by the driver's seat.  They are  A:B:C:K, non-toxic, non-corrosive, environmentally safe, easy cleanup.  C is for electrical fires, K is for grease/oil fires.  Being non-toxic it should work on spouse too  :p
I have an an army wool blanket that when soaked will work as a fire suppressant, but only on A and B fires.

I do carry a dry chemical extinguisher but if you have ever used one you know they make a hard-to-clean-up mess and the powder is corrosive, especially to electronics.  You also need to shake them up periodically as the powder tends to clump over time, especially in vehicle.  I do this once a month and hit the bottom with a rubber mallet a few times to help break up any clumps that form.

http://www.healingify.com/10-health-and-safety-benefits-of-a-fire-blanket/

10 Health and Safety Benefits of a Fire Blanket
Fire blankets can extinguish small flames and are a good safety device in addition to fire extinguishers because they do not need much application training.

You can store one in your kitchen, industrial facility or in the office, close to where there is a fire potential and where it is accessible without direct contact with the fire outbreak. There are many types and sizes available. You can choose the one that best suits your situation.

The fabric used for these fire blankets can withstand high temperatures. The temperature information is available as part of the product description of the blanket. Fire blankets can put out small flames, preventing the fire from turning into a big catastrophe.  Here are the ten safety benefits of using a fire blanket:

1. Versatile
There are many suitable blankets that can work for all types of applications for homes, offices or industries. They can be customized to a size and shape. They can be used as protective hanging curtains as well. Different materials can be combined to achieve effective molten splash and flame resistance.

2. Putting out small fires
A fire blanket is useful in putting out small fires before they spread and become big fires. It deprives the oxygen that fuels the fire. This immediately stops the fire from spreading.

3. Save lives
If a person’s clothes catch on fire, you can throw a blanket over the person to stop the fire from causing bodily injuries and burns. The fire blanket can be used to cover a person who is existing a building on fire.

4. Electrical and indoor fires
A fire blanket does not require much training unlike other fire prevention devices. You can use them effectively for electrical and indoor fires. They can be used at home or at the workplace. If you do not have a fire extinguisher, then the fire blanket is a good option. All you have to do is throw the fire blanket over the flame area. This will cut the oxygen supply and stop the fire.

5. Grease fires
The kitchen is a common place for a fire due to grease. Fire blankets are made to tackle grease fires. Store a fire blanket close to the area that is accessible, but not directly near the area of the potential fire such as ovens, stoves and electrical appliances. This is because should a stove, oven or electrical appliance catch fire, you can retrieve the blanket easily without direct contact with the fire.

6. Outdoor fires
Fire blankets can also prevent small outdoor fires. If you have a BBQ grill outdoors, the fire blanket can put out and prevent a fire from spreading quickly. There are industrial fire blankets that provide flame protection for outdoor and offshore use.

7. Molten splash applications
Fire blankets are suitable for the metal industry. There are ultra-heavy grade, high temperature resistant blankets that are applied to severe molten splash applications.

8. Protects hoses, cables and other equipment
Fire blankets protect hoses, cables and other equipment from high temperatures. The fire blanket textile can resist most destructive fluids. No smoke or fumes are caused even in the most severe heat conditions.

9. Adhesion
Industrial type fire blankets are high adhesion blankets ideal for radiant heat applications. They have good flame, abrasion, water and hydraulic oil resistant characteristics. Their strong inherent properties make them tough and strong. They can be used for demanding applications that is exposed to continuous high operating temperatures.

10. Materials
Fire blankets are made with glass fiber and silicone rubber coating. These types of materials can resist heat and flames. They are also impervious to water, moisture and hydraulic oils.

The ones we had in service were 1/2' thick asbestos!

The ones we had in service years ago were 1/2' thick asbestos!

When I first saw this thread I thought it was about fire shelters after all the forest fires that have been in the news. I would hate to need one but managed to pick one up at the flea market for $10.

I've used lots of fiberglass fire blankets to control slag and sparks while welding too.

This version of blanket was new to me so I've learned something today. Thanks!

Guy