Fine for campfire

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobflhtc

Reaction score
I'm camping in a National Forest Campground east of Seattle. It's posted at the entrance that there are no campfires allowed also the camp host stops by when you are setting up to give you the same information. A family camped nearby decided to go ahead and have a campfire anyway so the ranger stopped by and gave them a citation for $280.

Sometimes people who don't learn the easy way have to learn the hard way instead.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

(apparently they don't think the rules apply to them)....

unfortunately all to common on public land. highdesertranger

I'm camp hosting. The fines on federal land can be up to $5000/6 months in prison or both not including cost of fire suppression. Fires are everywhere here and people here still start camp fires, smoke cigarettes, etc. I'm not allowed to police the situation, either. I've not made friends with some people. One group lied and said I told them a fire was OK. I have to let them start fires if that is their choice, but I don't tell them it's OK with me if they decide to commit a federal misdemeanor.

Same with feeding the bears. A lot of people feed them here and now the giant raccoons are starting to become a problem.

Canine said:
Same with feeding the bears. A lot of people feed them here and now the giant raccoons are starting to become a problem.
Despite violation of federal statutes, I always feed pretzels to the ground squirrels. I figure if a bear comes, the squirrels will fight the bears for the pretzels. When I was camping near Lassen in June, there were 3 ground squirrels contending for the goodies. Being the big meanie that I am, I would toss the pretzels directly inbetween 2 squirrels and they would go for each other's throats to get the goodies. Pretzels are like dope to ground squirrels.

QinReno said:
Pretzels are like dope to ground squirrels.

I bet if they had the equipment, they would put the pretzels right into their veins. Do NOT get in between a 'munk and its pretzel. They actually call each other "munk": Yo, 'munk! or Yo, M! I watched one shank another one with a discarded toothpick- all over the last pretzel.

Latest posts