Finding Locations for Caravans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akrvbob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be traveling in the next week looking for suitable locations for caravans. I will be covering areas of the Mohave National Preserve, Barstow, Mesquite, Baker, Pahrump, Goldfeild, and as far as Lake Mead and Oberton.

I’m looking for areas or sites that would have camping suitable for groups of nomads. It would need to have internet access and shopping conveniences near by. If you are familiar with any of these areas and have site suggestions please respond with locations. 

Thank you in advance for your ideas or suggestions,

Bob

Similarly, I'm looking in eastern Arizona and New Mexico --

• 3,000' to 5,000' elevation
  • Free camping
  • Internet (cell) access
  • Close to a town for amenities
  • Large enough camping area(s) for 18 to 36 rigs
I already have a Caravan located at the abandoned gravel mine in Gage (near Deming, NM); and I'm checking out a place on the western side of Chiracahua (in AZ) tomorrow.  I'd really appreciate any other ideas that you may have.

Thanks much,
Suanne

Suanne, if you're going from Gage to Chiracahua check Veterans Park in Lordsburg. It's a free campground that doesn't get much matainence but it's large and gets little use. There are picnic tables and water faucets. Not much in town but there is a grocery store. We had good AT&T signal. We stayed for two night last December as we were heading west. I don't know what the stay limit is. I suppose you'd have to talk the city officials. Here's the link from freecampsites- https://freecampsites.net/#!99115&query=sitedetails  The co-ordinates are wrong. It's actually across the street. You can see two rows of shelters over the picnic tables. There are also a few tables scattered around the western side of the park.
And a link for my blog post - https://rollinginarv-wheelchairtraveling.blogspot.com/2018/12/veterans-park.html

Thanks Karen.

Checked it out. Researched with the County. No official info that I could find online.

Do you think it would be ok to have a group there for 2 weeks. It seems that most reviewers say they stayed 1-3 nights.

We didn't see any type of patrol or oversight. It seems like the town would benefit from people staying at the park - buying groceries, gas, eating at the restaurants. Do you think the mayor or police chief could give you more information?
I think most of the reviewers just stayed for a day or two because there's not much to do around there. It's an overnight stop for them.

if the campground is in need for some maintenance. perhaps they caravan could offer up some labor like landscaping, cleaning, painting, etc. you know "good will". might go a long way not only at this one but others. highdesertranger

freeCampsites.net lists it as a county park and is confirmed. Maybe the county manager's assistant could provide the proper answer. It sounds like the park is a little run down. Longer stays maybe could be arranged for cleanup tasks and make some goodwill at the same time. This could lead to a win-win situation and allow some of the other caravans to stay there too for keeping it clean.

Escapees do several volunteer type activites that result in allowing them free camping even though they sometimes pay for sites anyway. I know this is a loosely connected group but the cleanup seen to go well why not incorporate a volunteer activity in areas that need bodies for cleanup like our national parks or forests. I know large volunteer groups have worked with National Park staff here at Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (Lake Powell) and I would think it might help with people's attitude towards letting small groups of less than 10 come in and help. There is already an on the water group called "Trash Trackers" that runs all summer long so a land baised one might also be welcomed similar to community cleanups arealdy in place. This might also help attract experienced nomads to help with the caravans as well.

Thanks for the idea about the Veterans Park in Lordsburg. I'm here now, and we will be having Caravan 4E at this park for a couple of weeks beginning Monday.

To be cautious, I spoke with the Chief of Police in Lordsburg to make sure a 2-week stay would be ok, giving him the CRVL and Meetup links to the Caravans. He said he didn't see a problem with it. Yay!

Although a little overgrown and run down, it was a pleasant night's sleep here. With the recent winds, I expected to see more trash caught up in the brush, but it's not too bad. The plan is always that the Caravans leave a place in better condition than they found it. I trust that will be the case for this April 15-28th group.

Here is the information about the Lordsburg location on Meetup … please feel free to RSVP online and join the group! https://www.meetup.com/Caravans/events/260393842/

Much appreciation for this lead!

I would like to recommend the Caja del Rio BLM area just west of Santa Fe, NM. It fits all the criteria being sought except altitude, as the area is at 7000 ft. Spring and fall would be the best seasons for caravans to stay in the area.

Caja del Rio is close to Santa Fe and offers large areas where numerous rigs can camp. It is adjacent to NF land, also called Caja del Rio, where small groups can go when the 14-day BLM limit is reached.

As to cons of the Caja del Rio BLM, it is necessary to drive past the Santa Fe landfill to get there. When strong winds occur, some paper and plastic does blow around. And illegal dumpers do unload small pickup loads on the BLM land, leaving behind small mounds of construction rubble.

But on the whole the cedar and pinyon landscape of the Caja del Rio BLM area offers a good potential as a caravan site.

I’m heading up to the Sedona area from Prescott in a 5-6 days to approximately 13 miles from Sedona along Arizona State Route 89A where Forest Road 525 and Angel Valley Road intersect 89A. There are a number of boondocking sites in this area with good ratings and good cell coverage. The weather looks pretty good in the 10 day forecast.

This area may be a good option for future Caravan sites as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. I love camping in that area. Unfortunately, the NFS seems to be slowly cutting down access there. I suspect this will be true for any popular national forest areas close to larger population centers. The NFS is understandably trying to limit the amount of damage to the land that happens when it cannot support so much dispersed camping. Let's hope the land recovers and the NSF begins to expand access again.

great news Suanne. now we need to make a good impression. in a small rural town that's the way to do it, go straight to the police and ask. I have had them let me spend the night in a vacant lot right across the street from the police station on one occasion. highdesertranger

VanForNow said:
I would like to recommend the Caja del Rio BLM area just west of Santa Fe, NM

We are on the same wave length VanForNow!   I was just there last Monday/Tuesday on my scouting trip.  I agree that it's a perfect place for the Caravans.  Thank you!

Suanne said:
Thanks for the suggestion.  I love camping in that area.  Unfortunately, the NFS seems to be slowly cutting down access there.

They definitely closed the areas around Cottonwood and Camp Verde due to squatters moving in(literally) and dumping tanks and refuse.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/prescott/alerts-notices/?aid=50683
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd605529.pdf

A video discussing why, for your viewing displeasure:

When you say "close to amenities" how close should that be?

I ask because I stayed in the BLM at Schnebly Hill Rd./FR 226 located in Munds Park off I 17.  It was a beautiful area and if you take the road west theres a HUGE area that groups camp in.  Honestly there are areas throughout it that large groups could camp.  You drive less than a mile in to any of them.  Don't go much farther than the scenic lookout(Schnebly Hill Vista)!  The road is about 7 miles of sheer hell into Sedona if you aren't in a 4WD or ATV.  I didn't explore it too much on the east side of the interstate but theres camping there too.

Cell service at least for Verizon was excellent but thats because they have a tower right next to the highway maintenance facility as soon as you exit the interstate.

As far as amenities go the town of Munds Park is at the next exit north about 3 miles.  They have a post office, RV park and 2 gas stations.  You can't throw big bags of trash in the dumpsters of the Shell.  They both have water but at that time Shell was $1 for 5 gals and the other station was so outrageous I just kept going back to the Shell.  You can also get propane in town and I think the RV park has a dump.  If you go another 21 miles north you're in Flagstaff.

Plenty of shade from the pines and plenty of sun for your solar.  There were very few 2 week campers.  I felt very alone most of the time except for the ATV crowd running down into Sedona.

If you're doing the summer "loop" around Flagstaff FR 226 is in Coconino National Forest in the Red Rocks district.

Summer in Leadville Colorado is super comfortable. A free dispersed forest with many and varied sized spots and good cell service is located south of Turquoise Lake.

From Leadville, the Lake County Aquatic Center, take fr4 west. At the 3 way fork in the road, take the middle - fr48. Before you reach Sugarloaf Dam, you will see the open forest on the south side. Dunn Ditch is great source of water - free flowing and follows the western and southern boundary of the forest.

The only downside is the weekenders. They start rolling in on Thursday evening, peak Saturday, and are out by Monday noon.

14 day limit.