Find how much propane is left

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carla618

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this, since propane tanks are used for both cooking and heating. Maybe most of you know this, but it was new to me.

Yesterday I was watching America's Test Kitchen and they explained a way to know how much propane is left in the tank. You boil some water (they used a tea kettle), then pour a small stream of the hot water down the side of the propane tank. Using your hand, feel the tank where the water streamed. The cold spots indicate propane. Hot areas: no propane.

. . . . You boil some water (they used a tea kettle), then pour a small stream of the hot water down the side of the propane tank. Using your hand, feel the tank where the water streamed. The cold spots indicate propane. Hot areas: no propane.
Great idea! It's something I had not thought of!

What I did was get two propane tanks and put this regulator between them. When a tank goes empty, the regulator automatically switches to the full tank. It's a great system because then I have a totally empty tank to replace/refill, while at the same time I have a full tank already doing the job.
Image 22.jpg
The little window under the dial turns red to let me know when the tank (pointed to by the dial) goes empty. I check this window often.

Last edited:
I like this. I can check it when I'm not using it. While in use you just look for the line where the frost forms :)

I just push the appropriate switch on the over the range panel and it tells me how much propane is remaining, as well as fresh water level, and the waste tanks levels.

I only use propane for the water heater. I don't get anywhere near empty in a year, I top it off at the start of each new season of dispersed camping.

I cook with electricity fed by solar.

Amargosawayn,

I have to speak up right here and say that I'm a little suspicious of your electronic propane level indicator on your range panel. How does that work?

Johnny

20lbs of propane weighs... 20lbs.
An EMPTY 20lb propane tank weighs 17lbs.
So, 37lbs (max) is a full tank.
If you can weigh the tank, subtract 17 from your total weight, and that's how much propane you have left.
(Helpful for me, since I was an Art major.) 🤗

Don't know how it works, don't care. It's close enough to how many gallons it takes to fill. Could be that it senses temperature differentials at various levels. Cold -> LED is out. Warm LED is lit. Has five LEDs. E, 1/4, 1/2. 3/4, F.

Instead of wasting energy heating water, use a removable product that sticks to the side of tank with magnetism.

https://homebrewing.org/products/magnetic-removable-propane-tank-gauge
Magnetic Removable Propane Tank Gauge $4.49

"When activated, this propane tank gauge automatically senses the propane in your tank and indicates the amount remaining. How does it work? This Removable Propane Tank Gauge when slightly heated it will change color. Upon cooling, it will change back. There is nothing that gets used up or wears out. Attach this propane tank gauge on the side of your 20lb. tank. Magnetic and movable from tank to tank. Fits all R.V. and B.B.Q. tanks. Visually shows exact level of gas. Easy to use and will last for years. Will not fade in the sunlight."