Female urine container

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pom7756

Reaction score
I have watched (and now cannot find) a video with Bob interviewing a lady who used a potty container that either came with an insert or she devised this herself but Bob seemed to be familiar with it. It looked like a thermos type container (not the colapasable funnel type) , fitting into the potty and had a lid so that she could remove it, dispose of urine safely without sloshing...my greatest fear. Anyone familiar with this video or the devise? Days away from our first adventure.

imageService.jpeg
This is what I use. It's very secure with the handle, you cant miss in the dark and it doesn't splash if you can carry it in a bag to a restroom. Costco. They last forever.  After I empty it, I rinse it, put a little water and dish detergent in it, swish it around and it never stinks. I have a very sensitive nose. If Hubby's  around, it needs to be emptied twice daily.

Just in case, to keep it from being kicked over, I set it in my Luggable Loo bucket. Obviously, I take it it out of the bucket for #2.
Ted

Attachments

• imageService.jpeg
    imageService.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 12
find a PortaJane. It's like a form fitting funnel. I had one when we did a lot of small boating.

A wide mouth water bottle such as the Nalgene works just fine and the opening is exactly the right size. No need for a funnel, just press it up against you. You can use it while sitting or while standing with a slight bend in your knees. The lids on those jars seal tightly. If you get one of the tinted ones no one can tell it is urine in there. That disguise of color is handy when you want to walk into a store or coffee shop and empty it into their toilet. The people in the stores won't blink an eye if you walk in with a Nalgene type of water bottle clipped to your belt or carried in your hand.

I bought mine at a thrift store but they are widely available as a new product. Of course there are also copycat brands. But do not get the kind with a little cap for sipping or inserting a straw as they are not as reliably spill proof. Just go for one large cap with no extra ports in it such as the one shown in the link below.

Ladies, you can practice the use in the shower so that you can perfect the technique of use for this or any other female urine device without worrying about a mess to clean up.

https://www.target.com/p/nalgene-wide-mouth-water-bottle-32-oz/-/A-51319156

I am elderly and (pardon the graphic description) I no longer have a stream but rather a shower. Do you still recommend the nalgene bottle? How big is the opening? Thanks!

Mert:
I tried a couple of different cups for "making water", and found them messy, then spotted a full size mixing bowl at Dollar Tree, bought it, and it was awesome from the very first use. :)

It's about the size of a bedpan, has a pouring spout, a gasket around the bottom for stability, and only costs a dollar.
It's very easy to pour from it into anything else.

Exactly once I jostled it after use, and had a spillage. I'm a klutz, it was extremely cold, and I was still new to using it.
Haven't had any problems since.

I love the idea of a Nalgene for temporary storage! :)
In my situation, I'm usually storing "it" for several days, so am using a much larger container, but if I weren't, I'd definitely go with a Nalgene.

WalkaboutTed:
Thanks for the cleaning tips. :)
I wash out my storage container(s) about once per week, and have been using DrBronner's peppermint liquid soap as the final cleaner.
Hadn't thought of dish detergent!

Any plastic jar with a 2 and a half to 3 inch opening works. The small plastic peanut butter and mayo jars are just fine too. Spraying is not an issue because you lightly press the jar opening into your nice soft skin in that area making sure your urethra somewhere is inside the opening. That seals the "deal" and the spray goes only into the jar :)

If you are having problems with the flow or leakage do talk to your doctor about it and then go see a GYN urology doctor. You don't have to live with the issues. I did, got the sling, very pleased with the results, so nice not to have to constantly stop to pee or worry about using pads, etc. Very nice for a noamd to not have to deal with that particular getting older issue. The surgery is an in and out in a couple of hours procedure, easy recovery, no major pain. I have had zero complications and at least an 85% improvement. Like turning the clock back 25 years. It is covered by medicare.

I would not get the sling surgery. I got it in May of 2019. I have had 5 bladder infections. 3 of them a super bug from the hospital. I had to cancel a trip to Alaska and return home from Glacier National Park in July. I am still at home, waiting to see if the last round of antibiotics are working. After surgery, I have read a lot of government reports. The amount of urine you can hold is reduced. I have to go to the bathroom about every hour or two. The surgery may only last five years. I would much rather wear pads when I go for long walks. I got the surgery when I realized I needed one of my 3 storage drawers in the van just for my pads. I have had leakage for over 30 years.

Sorry you had so much trouble. Your results are very unfortunate but not typical. I certainly have not experienced a reduction in the capacity (size) of my bladder. I have not had any post operative infections either.

The superbug infections are very difficult to get rid of but they are not associated with any particular type of surgery or procedure. I have gotten them several times over the years but not from the sling surgery.

I used a Folger's large coffee can, plastic with the built in "handle", stated "aroma free" on the label. Worked great for me. I did have to kneel on the floor and squat/lean back onto it but that worked fine. Also, when I later acquired a Class B RV, it fit perfectly into the RV toilet when I didn't want to use the holding tank. It was easier to empty that than dump the tanks.