Feel im thinking too much

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrettwolf

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not sure where to put this, I constantly watch videos of vandwellrs, they are so happy I want that, but, alas I am starting to over think things maybe. 

Let me explain alittle 

I am currently looking for the right van right now. No clue what to get, limited funds to get it. I never really put any thought in my life until I discovered vandwelling. So I have no retirement, trust fund, or military. Had I been smart I would have set myself up better. 

Im worried about living on the road having to find money and jobs, is it still enjoyabe?

I have reasearched everything I can, solar , compost toilet , van or trailer, blm, domicile, mail forwarding. Etc.... 

I am not sure any of this makes sense , I would love to talk to someone around my age ( 52 ) that is doing it and working on the road to make it, is there anyone doing that? What jobs are out there ?  I have a good wealth of know how, just not sure its usable out there. I have done a lot of different things in my life , maintenance man, production supervisor , insulated glass manager, 

Thank you for listening to my rant.  Lol 

Ed

Welcome to the CRVL forums Garrettwolf! You got it in the right place!! There's lots of people of all ages out here full-timing it in a host of different vehicles. Some work out of their own 'office' on the road, others take on paid employment at seasonal businesses that range from campgrounds, Amazon and just plain hiring on whevever they can find something they want to do or when they need the income. You'll be able to 'talk' here with a whole bunch of them.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

It's only overthinking if you feel like you can't come to any resolution and all is a headache leading you to
believe it's a waste of time.   But, you've already noticed these other people seem happy doing what hey do.

I constantly watch videos of vandwellrs, they are so happy I want that, but, alas I am starting to over think things maybe.

Probably the easiest thing to do is try and find work and save up some money if you can.   Then "replicate" what others have done.   You don't have to be a "copy cat" but by following what others have done you don't have to over think things either.  And there are loads of people here explaining what they have done that has worked for them....every day.   It really doesn't take a whole lot to get on the road.   A basic Van with a bed, carpeted floor, and some kind of kitchen could get you mobile so you could travel to where there may be a better work environment with better pay.  (and a lower cost of living) 

My first outfit I used when I was working and moving cost me much less than $2000.  It was an old Van and a
small economy car I towed behind it using a tow bar.  Then all I needed  was an apartment to work out of.
But I was making good money.   I had the Van to use in my work after I moved it's contents into the apartment and had the car to drive back and forth to work as a daily car.  Used the Van if I needed to take something somewhere.  The Boss compensated me well for picking up on those little unexpected events come crisis where an employ with a Van was the ideal project man to handle it for him.

That was just going with the flow.   I had the vehicles and fell into the job.  

But if I go on the road today I'd use what served me back then.   I've created the two websites below to
showcase that information for those who want to get into this way of life for cheap as a starting point.  But like anything it takes some "seed money" to get started.

Im worried about living on the road having to find money and jobs, is it still enjoyabe?

Some skills such as running a Cash Register or operating a Fork Truck
in a warehouse will help you find jobs quicker as you travel.  (just as a relief person even) Then if you
find an opportunity for someone who has your abilities you possess, then you may get lucky and find a good paying situation.   But some of those basic skills that are always in need can get your foot in the door and from there you can meet others who may know of better opportunities.  

Most people don't realize it but they are better than they think.  It's easy to get down on yourself when you reach a stalemate.  But often the solutions/opportunities will be found once traveling.  Having some money
behind you as a back log is he buffer for living like this.  You won't have much in expenses to have to cover so the work you find won't have to pay too much.  But you need some simple production skills that are specialized and more on the rare or unique side.   I once knew an old Sign Painter who traveled from coast to coast with nothing more than an old metal lunch box with a few small cans of paint,  a few brushes and the thermos was replaced with a bottle that contained paint thinner.  He said there is always someone wanting
something lettered whether it's a window, delivery truck,  or country mail boxes.  If they could pay $5 or $10
bucks he said he only needed about 5 or 6 of those quick little snap jobs a day to live well out of his little Ford Maverick.   Hand lettering was a skill he had picked up over the years and he took on he project of traveling around the country just to see if he could do it.   And he was a simple little guy. 

So,  I'd bid you to step back and let your head unwind awhile so you can get a new perspective.

Welcome, Garrettwolf.  

Hard to say whether you're overthinking or not.  eDJ_ gave you some good rules of thumb for determining that.  I would add that some people become impatient easily with others who want to be careful and consider all angles.  They might simply have no patience, or they might have lots of cash to fall back on, or other social resources.  If you don't have those things, and you're a careful, caring person, it makes sense that it will take you longer to decide and you'll second-guess yourself more.

Like you, I've investigated all aspects of this mobile life idea.  I'm adventurous, I'm capable, and I'm typically confident.  However, I cannot afford to mess this up.  So, while I often think this is the right thing for me, there are also times when I wonder if it is just too crazy or if this is mostly bits and pieces and stories and campfires and shared hamburgers once a year, but nothing else.  The salmon-like pull of normal society ringing in our ears, sitting in the back of our brains, and oozing from every single advertisement that we're bombarded with all tell us NOT to do this, in an implied or indirect way. It isn't easy to ignore all of that, override it, and walk away.

If you have no choice and wake up one morning in your car and that's all there is, well, it might be tough, but it removes the problem of consideration, planning, decisions, waffling, etc. On the other hand, if you're deciding to leave behind some kind of normal / stable sticks and bricks situation, then it takes a lot of courage, and planning, and some resources to make this work.  Anyone who sneezes at that must have a much lower level of empathy and a much higher level of apathy than me.

So, in short, being unsure or thinking about it a few times over doesn't make you wrong. In my book, it makes you aware, smart, and thoughtful. And those things make a pretty good package, once you decide to act.

My 2 cents worth,

Vagabound

Vagabound said:
Welcome, Garrettwolf.  

Hard to say whether you're overthinking or not.  eDJ_ gave you some good rules of thumb for determining that.  I would add that some people become impatient easily with others who want to be careful and consider all angles.  They might simply have no patience, or they might have lots of cash to fall back on, or other social resources.  If you don't have those things, and you're a careful, caring person, it makes sense that it will take you longer to decide and you'll second-guess yourself more.

Like you, I've investigated all aspects of this mobile life idea.  I'm adventurous, I'm capable, and I'm typically confident.  However, I cannot afford to mess this up.  So, while I often think this is the right thing for me, there are also times when I wonder if it is just too crazy or if this is mostly bits and pieces and stories and campfires and shared hamburgers once a year, but nothing else.  The salmon-like pull of normal society ringing in our ears, sitting in the back of our brains, and oozing from every single advertisement that we're bombarded with all tell us NOT to do this, in an implied or indirect way.  It isn't easy to ignore all of that, override it, and walk away.

If you have no choice and wake up one morning in your car and that's all there is, well, it might be tough, but it removes the problem of consideration, planning, decisions, waffling, etc.  On the other hand, if you're deciding to leave behind some kind of normal / stable sticks and bricks situation, then it takes a lot of courage, and planning, and some resources to make this work.  Anyone who sneezes at that must have a much lower level of empathy and a much higher level of apathy than me.

So, in short, being unsure or thinking about it a few times over doesn't make you wrong.  In my book, it makes you aware, smart, and thoughtful.  And those things make a pretty good package, once you decide to act.

My 2 cents worth,

Vagabound

Thank you vagabound, 

Your words really helped, 

I want this to work, I decided to set a goal of a year.  If by then I have a van and have saved a comfortable amount of money, I on my way. So I have a year for research and learning. 

I want to be the vandweller everyone calls friend,  a helper to my van brothers and sisters, a family member. 

Again thank you , and everyone for the kind words and help

Garrett

Welcome to the forum. I know it tends to be overwhelming, well I am and I leave in 60 days. Give yourself as much time as you can to prepare and research.

One way to uncluttered your mind is to write things down. I can certainly fully think through a topic and still think more! To begin with for me I began 5 of those composition books and titled them WHAT HOW WHEN WHERE and one for the House selling which I've done 8x in the past...easiest part of this?

By making notes in the appropriate book I don't have to keep it in my mind so I don't forget it. It's also a psychological issue/relief. Keeps a notebook by the bed for those thought that keep you up at night (or wake you.)

Just checking to be sure you read Bob's article on budget and working etc found at the top of the page: Money