Fear Of Change

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRed

Reaction score
Hi all, LittleRed here :D So, a few times while thinking about getting into this lifestyle, even yesterday. I would second guess my plan to live the nomad life. I so love the many many pluses of jumping into this lifestyle, and get excited about it. Then other times I see what I have, like a steady, nice clean roof over my head, the decent room I have and the niceness of having a constant comfort temp in my Apt. And ask myself what I'm getting myself into. At the same time the reasons I want to do this far outweighs the reasons I worry about it, so I still go on making plans to do all the things I need to do to get started, then when researching what I need to do, I start getting overwhelmed. But then I take a break and remind myself that I got to do this in steps, one thing at a time. I then feel better about it. 99% of me wants to do this, and so I continue.

Any thoughts, your own dealing with this issue, and ideas to help one going through this would be nice.

Thanks
Jack, Joy (dog), and LittleRed (van) :p

What you're going through is completely natural. If you just jumped in, without thought and trepidation, that would be stupid.

I've been on the road for a few years (this time) I go through practically the same thing everytime it's time to move on.

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other

It is scary and overwhelming at times so it's also completely normal to be scared and overwhelmed. I think all of us have felt like that at some point.

You have a big advantage because you have a lot of time to plan, work on your van and build up your emergency and traveling funds. Keep in mind that this is not a completely permanent break from your stationary life. If it doesn't work for some reason you can always find another apartment but if you don't try it you'll always wonder if you missed the best adventure of your life!

Only way to really know which you like better is to do both. No decision is permanent, you don't like the other way, go back to the first way.

LittleRed said:
Hi all, LittleRed here :D So, a few times while thinking about getting into this lifestyle, even yesterday. I would second guess my plan to live the nomad life. I so love the many many pluses of jumping into this lifestyle, and get excited about it. Then other times I see what I have, like a steady, nice clean roof over my head, the decent room I have and the niceness of having a constant comfort temp in my Apt. And ask myself what I'm getting myself into. At the same time the reasons I want to do this far outweighs the reasons I worry about it, so I still go on making plans to do all the things I need to do to get started, then when researching what I need to do, I start getting overwhelmed. But then I take a break and remind myself that I got to do this in steps, one thing at a time. I then feel better about it. 99% of me wants to do this, and so I continue.

Any thoughts, your own dealing with this issue, and ideas to help one going through this would be nice.

Thanks
Jack, Joy (dog), and LittleRed (van) :p

I did the same thing, only I didn't have a van. I really wanted to go and stalked this site night and day. I think for me it was fear of the unknown. The reason I believe I left when I did was because my current living situation wasn't working out and I was forced to go. I had my car packed with everything I needed and I headed out. I remember I drove to see my daughter for a few days and was all excited about going on the road, but when time came to leave I cried my eyes out. I finally left and a few minutes later I was fine. That has been just over a year ago now. I have a class C now, but I am still on the road. I think it takes making yourself  go. If you don't like it, as said above, you can always go back.

Everything has a price. Everything is a trade-off. Familiarity with a situation tends to mask the negatives. Yes, there are benefits to living in a building, but what are the costs—financial and mental?

Yes, there are down sides to the nomadic life, but for me, it's something I just have to do for the sake of my mental health. I didn't want to live the rest of my life being safe but dying with regrets.

First you have to make sure it's what you truly want. A change such as this isn't a minor deviation from the norm and while it has its rewards, it has its pitfalls too. It's important to recognize and prepare for these not just look at the freedom. Knowing what you will do, when you will do it and why will help fight the fear of taking that big step.

jimindenver said:
First you have to make sure it's what you truly want.

Yes. When I truly want something, doubts tend to fade away. All the what-ifs become just things to prepare for. Because I know I'm going to do it.