far west Texas/southeast New Mexico

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
For anyone with experience in the area: if you were to spend a day travelling between Canutillo, TX, and Hatch, NM, what side trips would you recommend?

The direct route is only 70 miles, so there's probably room for some pretty long side trips.

Right now I'm interested in personal favorites (that you're willing to share) rather than Google hits.

Thanks!

Absolutely! I <3 Chaco.
The road in can be a bit challenging, depending on how recently it's been graded (or at least, used to be) -- but so worth it.

I camped for a couple of weeks at the base of the Organ Mountains above Las Cruces and loved it— the National Monument has a Visitor’s Center with a lovely small garden (I was there in early November last year, and it was still going strong), free water, and picnic areas, but I’m not sure it would be worth a side trip per se. (The mountains are definitely worth it.) White Sands NP was a hoot and a half, and very accessible by vehicle, so a bum foot needn’t be a deterrent. The area has lots of pistachio orchards with little farm stands. It sticks in my mind that Tularosa has a museum with info on the “Downwinders” and impact of nuclear testing in the area.

Before you leave Canutillo take a side trip to Casa de Azucar. An amazing amount of creativity and years of work.

If you like museums there are a couple of good ones in Las Cruces, New Mexico. New Mexico Farm and Ranch Heritage Museum and the Zuhl Museum. The Zuhls had a business selling petrified wood, fossils, minerals, and rocks. They sold their business but kept their personal collection of the best pieces which they donated to the museum.

the Gila Wilderness and Cliff Dwellings were really cool. fantastic drive from Silver City (the poor man's Taos)
i so want to get back to the area, and yes on Chaco as well.

For anyone with experience in the area: if you were to spend a day travelling between Canutillo, TX, and Hatch, NM, what side trips would you recommend?

The direct route is only 70 miles, so there's probably room for some pretty long side trips.

Right now I'm interested in personal favorites (that you're willing to share) rather than Google hits.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Truth or Consequences for a soak, and/or Faywood for a soak (although it looks like Faywood no longer offers day use). Neither is directly on that route, but possibly close enough for a side trip.

Museum of Space History in Alamogordo, NM. Sunspot Observatory in Sunspot south of Cloudcroft, NM. Valley of Fires Recreation Area on Highway 380 near Carrizozo. The Hubbard Museum of the American West in Ruidoso, NM.

Thanks for all of these. Making a list and looking forward to it!

If you use Freecampsites.net or iOverlander they can help with that a lot. Not really far west Texas but when I head back east after the RTR I plan to visit Magnolia Beach near Port Lavaca. It's 14 day free camping with toilets, waste receptacles, and I am told they even have showers albeit cold ones). I plan to check out the 14 day camping between it and the town of Magnolia beach as it's closer to town in case I need to run in to town for ice or something. If you are interested, google it for more info.

Have a great trip!

1672958573815.png

Texas State Parks on the coast used to offer fishing lessons and free fishing in the parks you may want to check out.

Thanks again for all these tips. Adding a couple of carrots (or one carrot and one string bean) to the soup pot: Keystone Heritage Park in north El Paso has some nice walking paths, including both a wetlands and a desert botanical garden, how often do you find those in the same place? There's a weird "house maze" made out of stick fencing and some archaeological/historical stuff too. It's not quiet -- about a mile from I-10 -- but it's lovely and admission is only $2, $1 for seniors. Check your route on an up-to-date online map as there's some construction in the area. Then if you're heading north or west, stay on surface roads long enough to have lunch at the Little Diner in Canutillo. Good food (Mexican and general diner food), decent prices by today's standards, friendly wait staff, nice view of the Franklin Mountains. The road follows the old Camino Real. I imagine those 17th-century Spaniards would have a heart attack if they could see how it looks now. Heck, their horses would probably have heart attacks. But it's still a pretty cool road.