FAA Admits Names And Home Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BC Guy

Reaction score
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngog...in-drone-registry-will-be-publicly-available/

Dec 18, 2015 @ 03:07 PM

The FAA finally confirmed this afternoon that model aircraft registrants’ names and home addresses will be public. In an email message, the FAA stated: “Until the drone registry system is modified, the FAA will not release names and address. When the drone registry system is modified to permit public searches of registration numbers, names and addresses will be revealed through those searches.”

I have been thinking of buying one next year. If I do, I obviously will not be taking it to the states.

Similar to FCC addresses are public for radio amateurs. Aka Ham Radio folks.

An expected turn of events, usual double edge thinking. I say why not
some will fight this and lose, i would think size of Drone would be a factor.

BC, if you have a drivers lic. that info is already available. A simple computer research will yield reams about you. "They" are watching you on Google Earth! *!*

It is only right.  

I want to know who is spying on me!   :dodgy:

GotSmart said:
It is only right.  

I want to know who is spying on me!   :dodgy:

The NSA is but it is seemingly doing an abysmal job at what it is supposed to be looking for. :mad:

buckwilk said:
BC, if you have a drivers lic. that info is already available. A simple computer research will yield reams about you. "They" are watching you on Google Earth! *!*

That info may be publicly available in the states, but it is not in Canada.  We have fairly good privacy laws.  Yes, any cop, motor vehicles worker, etc can access it, but they are only allowed to in the course of their work.  If they are caught accessing files illegally, there are consequences.   Actually, "a simple computer research"  will reveal damned all about me.  No more than I have stated in this forum.

wagoneer said:
An expected turn of events, usual double edge thinking. I say why not
some will fight this and lose, i would think size of Drone would be a factor.

"The requirements for registering yourself under the FAA’s UAS registration system are simple: if you fly a model aircraft, drone, control line model, or unmanned aerial system weighing more than 250g (0.55 lb), you are compelled under threat of civil and criminal penalties to register."

Bob Dickerson said:
Register, Hell.We need a ban.

If people keep acting like they have been acting, that's what will happen. Flying with cameras over fenced yards, crashing into the White House lawns, and creating a hazard to aircraft are not acceptable.

The military trains their drone operators in the Sacramento Mountains about an hour and a half due north of el paso. About two years ago we had a large military drone fly over us. Glad I didn't have my pants down. There were some citizen complaints claiming hikers were being followed so the base commander said they wouldn't do that anymore.

bigsallysmom said:
The military trains their drone operators in the Sacramento Mountains about an hour and a half due north of el paso.  About two years ago we had a large military drone fly over us.  Glad I didn't have my pants down.  There were some citizen complaints claiming hikers were being followed so the base commander said they wouldn't do that anymore.

I saw a while ago that someone had crashed one into a pristine hot spring at Yellowstone and it was worried that the drone would clog the vent. People complain about their freedoms being restricted, but it seems that some of us can't handle all that freedom sensibly.

As a nature photographer I see them as an amazing tool to take the next step in my photography. The only thing that keeps me from getting one is their complexity. I can't even begin to count the number of times I wished I had a 10 foot step-ladder so I could shoot above a tree. A drone would have been a tremendous aid.

I have zero concerns about having to register it or that being made public. Total non-issue to me.
Bob

I knew there was a reason to keep my old sling shot, gonna bag me a few robots. cause guns just ain't allowed in the city

god dang revnewers gonna find my still. (you OG's know what I mean) HAVE A VERY MERRY HOLIDAY SEASON