ExpeditionVehicle build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LargeMarge

Reaction score
2003, my Very Significant Other got sick.
Immediately, we wrote our goals on a brown grocery bag.
Pretty high on the list -- 'holding hands while we watch the sun rise'.
Naturally, we acquired a 1997 Ford commercial truck to convert to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
I quickly removed the roll-up rear door, and fabricated a steel wall with a steel door... with dual dead-bolts.
I wanted a Dutch door, so I built a small top opener... my concept of a Dutch door.
Within a week of diagnosis -- while selling everything -- we completed our conversion and hit the road from Oregon with the vague goal of 'south!'.
Twenty-four months twenty-four thousand miles around South America.
Alaska, Panama, multiple times all around north and central America.
Summers up rough logger tracks to remote mountain lakes.
Winters on isolated Baja beaches.
Our interior is three paces across by seven paces long, perfect for three RedHeelers and two adults (plus a frequent yummy third).
Why so 'small'?
We are inside to sleep.
We are outside exploring most of the day, we cook outside, we shower outside
For meals, we sit around the community campfire with our caravan chums.
Cooking:
We use induction hot-plates.
We can pull one or more from the cubby, and cook on the picnic-table or on our porch.
Bowels:
We use a newspaper.
Folded with its accompanying tissues, the proceeds go in a plastic grocery bag.
Bladder:
We use laundry detergent jugs.
From the factory, these usually have a spout insert, reducing the opening to barely an inch or so.
To pop the spout, we invert the jug -- lid set aside -- and bang the spout on a sidewalk.
The spout easily pops loose... leaving a two or three inch opening.
Water:
Instead of a yuge tank, instead of a pump, instead of plumbing...
...we use retired stainless-steel five-gallon Pepsi kegs.
We like these because:
* isolation -- if one goes sour, we can clean it while using the others
* loanable -- we can loan one to a caravan chum
* multiplication -- our usual load in the rig is seven kegs, a total of thirty-five gallons.
We can always add a few more for an extended stay.
* divisible -- a couple-three kegs can go to town to be re-filled while the others stay in camp
* a keg can sit near the campfire... because campfire.
These Pepsi kegs are engineered to be pressurized.
A quick puff from a 12vdc pump for bicycle tires, click a re-purposed sink sprayer from a stand-still house kitchen, and the five gallons are ready to dispense.
For showers, we use a dedicated three-gallon version of the Pepsi keg.
We heat the water using a kitchen 'sous vide' circulation heater.
Photovoltaic:
We have six (6) 305-Watt panels, a total of 1,830-Watts.
These feed our bank of Concorde Lifeline AGM batteries.
Nearly two decades in-service, they are holding-up just fine.
Grossly over-size for our needs, we rarely draw our bank more than a couple-three percent... leaving ninety percent plus in reserve.
Our power-train:
* Cummins 505ci mechanical
* Allison 3060
* air-locker axle
Our GVWR -- 29,000#.
Our weight across the scale -- 14,000#.
Our cargo capacity -- about seven ton.
2010, I fabricated a toy-hauler on a similar commercial chassis.
The box is 8x16, with a tuck-away lift.
To increase our range -- and avoid areas with high taxes on fuel -- I added a 140-gallon saddle-tank.
I acquired this from a heavy-truck dismantler ('wrecking-yard').
They had piles of dozens of different shape tanks in aluminum and steel.
The 140 supplements the factory 50-gallon tank, for a total of 190-gallons on the rig.
To supplement those tanks, I fabricated a mount on the poop-deck of the toy-hauler... an additional 120-gallon tank.
In theory, our range without re-fueling -- Anchorage-to-Acapulco.
In the toy-hauler, we have capacity to carry another couple-three dozen Pepsi kegs.
In theory, we could go about four months without re-filling our water.
Nearly two decades full-time live-aboard, we refined our needs to the minimum.
At no point are we 'doing without' or 'scrimping to get by'... we have everything we need, we just need less of it.
Early on, we realized we needed the mentoring of experienced travelers.
Accordingly, we hooked-up with a vast variety of caravans.
We learned about tools, equipment, planning... and the futility of plans.
We watched, we occasionally asked about a system or procedure, but mostly just absorbed information.
And we offered to do a grocery-run.
We offered to tag-along on a parts-run.
We just generally tried to stay out of the way while trying to be useful.
A couple-three years ago, we fell into a workkamp gig.
We operate a small organic teaching farm near the outskirts of Eugene, Oregon.
We share the acreage with a couple-three dozen folks in a wide variety of RecreationVehicles and home-made ExpeditionVehicles.
Our hx:
We converted busses, semi-trucks, pick-up campers.
Our latest conversion is a 40' semi-trailer.
My suggestions to folks considering going full-time:
* get more cargo capacity than you think you need.
* build on a commercial chassis using common components for your area
* prior to investing weeks/months/years in constructing ThePerfectRig©, gut it, toss in some car-camping gear, go have fun.
* join a caravan of experienced travelers
* walk a RecreationVehicle park or resort, talk with owners of rigs you are considering.
You may want a 40' bus, but need a 18' box-truck.
You may want a Class C RecreationVehicle, but need a semi-tractor.
You may want an ambulance, but need a sailboat.
You will grow, your needs will evolve.
Avoid believing in the trap of 'this rig is my forever rig'.

Attachments

• 20210830_154555_HDR.jpg
    20210830_154555_HDR.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210716_140821_HDR.jpg
    20210716_140821_HDR.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210716_140702_HDR.jpg
    20210716_140702_HDR.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210611_143802_HDR_(1).jpg
    20210611_143802_HDR_(1).jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210611_143743_(1).jpg
    20210611_143743_(1).jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210611_143813_HDR.jpg
    20210611_143813_HDR.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210830_154310_HDR_(1).jpg
    20210830_154310_HDR_(1).jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 22
1996 Ford CF8000 commercial truck.
Stock tires/wheels were standard HDT (Heavy-Duty Truck) 22.5; we swapped those for logger 24.5 high-profile for a ground-clearance gain of about three inches (about a palm or fist).
Here are the logger lug 24.5 plus the 140-gallon 'saddle' tank.
(The camera angle is misleading plus the rig is parked on a hill; that tank is 16" off level ground.)

Attachments

• IMG_20220814_163916.jpg
    IMG_20220814_163916.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Our summer kitchen:
* curry goat stew,
* sweet potato pies baked in the Dutch oven,
* boiled 'bagels' rotisserie-toasted then halved then re-toasted.
(leashes held by VerySignificantOther and FrequentYummyThird.)
Our supervisors are Sugar and CallerNumberFive:

Attachments

• IMG_20221009_132154.jpg
    IMG_20221009_132154.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Solo Trip, New Shower Gizmo!
Eugene, Oregon to Redding and the Shasta volcano, back to Eugene:
I left the farm for a week-run through southron Oregon and north California.
October 10th, 2022.
In Eugene, I fueled the rig at us$4.859.
I pulled out of the filling-station, drove a few dozen yards/meters/metres to the traffic-signal, made a U-turn...
... and glanced at the fuel-price sign...
... and during those two minutes, the price raised to us$5.799 per gallon.
Almost an entire fedbuck more.
So, that stuff must be better, right?
Geez lu-weez, it is a good thing I am made of money, cash over-flowing my pockets.
Sure.
Eugene was 50°f and foggy.
Redding, California -- 100°f, so that would be twice as warmer, right?
Sure.
As anticipated, California fuel is automatically a fedbuck more than normal places.
(The increased price means the juice is better, right?)
Generally, around California, I saw us$6.899 for diesel...
... although I drove past a tiny independent two-pump QuickyMart© in the other side of noplace with diesel for us$5.959 per gallon.
That stuff was probably not as good, right [shakes head in disdain]?
In our introduction (above), we discuss our 'saddle' tank, increasing our on-board fuel to 190-gallons of independence from places with an extraordinary self-importance of their worth.
Good idea?
We think so.
At the truck-stop south of Redding, I rendezvoused with a caravan of chums headed to Baja for the winter.
We exchanged notes, swapped rig tours of changes (and potential improvements) during the meet-n-greet of new-to-me chums.
That was a great day and evening!
The area is farm and ranch country, so we asked likely candidates in the coffee-shop about over-night circling in a vacant lot for our traditional BBQ and stories.
Score!
An aside:
Showers at that truck-stop were us$6 the last time we were through.
October, 2022 -- showers are us$17, so they must be better, right?
As we describe in our introduction (above), we shower using a dedicated three-gallon 'Torpedo' keg heated by one of our 'sous vide' circulation heaters.
That works great with two (or more) showerers...
...one to scrub, and one to spritz, and the other one to help scrub.
We firmly believe a shower is a group effort, so that must be better, right?
On this solo trip, as I considered a solo shower [sobs uncontrollably], I wandered into a local-owned family-operated hardware store for some ideas...
... and discovered a Craftsman 20v back-pack garden-sprayer.
We have several Craftsman tools using those 20v batteries -- including a chain-saw -- so this Gizmo showed potential.
And I am happy to report... it works!
The hopper holds four gallons (sixteen liters/litres) of fluid.
For our use, that would be water.
The dark red hopper absorbs sun like there is no tomorrow, so a nice warm comfy [solo [sobbing...]] shower is ready in a few.
The power switch has a HIGH pressure and a LOW pressure.
I experimented with the LOW to start, thinking I could go higher if needed
No need.
LOW is plenty.
The box comes with a wand and adapters for different spray patterns.
I thought I might experiment with just the grip-switch at the user-end of the hose... no wand.
Score!
After a disgusting day of sweating and cooking and hugs, my shower was perfection.
I soaked and lathered and shampooed, I rinsed and spritzed my sandals.
I had a great time.
Score!
After I dried off, I off-screwed the hopper lid to check the water level [cue -- astonishment!]...
...it was down maybe six quarts, leaving enough Magic!Sauce! for another couple showers!
I pulled the 20v battery, and plugged it into the charger while I wrote a text to my sister (the truck driver).
That quick, before I finished the message, the charger indicated the battery was full again.
Score!
Disadvantages:
* you need an inverter to operate the charger for the 20v batteries
* you need a suitcase-size cubic area to store the Gizmo
* you need a deck or raised shelf for the Gizmo to set to get the 3'/1m hose high enough to worsh your hair
* you probably need a use for other Craftsman 20v tools... or get a couple spare just-in-case batteries.
And you need a semi-private area to do your doings (unless you are like me... slightly 'exhibitionist').

Last edited:
Working! To! Stay! Ahead!!
I caught this at the long-running SurvivalBlog.
(The SurvivalBlog focus concerns folks getting ready for major changes:
* job elimination or inappropriate/inconvenient transfer
* physical disaster, such as a volcano, flood, drought, plus fires at a hundred food-processing plants simultaneously
* a catastrophic illness, physical or spiritual or... 'other'.)
I am fascinated by this author's attitude:
* studying full-time, while
* working full-time, while
* taking full-time care of the house while simultaneously working and studying.
I think a 'YIKES!' would be appropriate.
How many notice the author scheduled zero down-time, a break for (my favorite) falling asleep in the recliner with a cat on my chest?
And I am fascinated by the author's opinion:
* doing all that, so a different job can 'keep me ahead of inflation'.
I think the justifying [below] is world-class professional-quality rationalizing at its finest...
[open quote [edited for clarity and brevity]]:
"...I’m studying for a certificate...to get a job [to] keep me ahead of inflation. In other words, money is a concern, but my real poverty is time. On the plus side, I’m on a hybrid schedule, so at least I can get some stuff done at home...between tickets, even when I’m working. Working hybrid or all-remote is a great way to save money (gasoline and vehicle maintenance) and time; I encourage fellow SB readers to pursue such work.

It seems to me...one of the biggest barriers to preparedness (independence) for everyone isn’t just money; it’s time. And the more the Federal Reserve [bankers] inflates the dollar, the more people are forced to work at jobs of questionable use to society just to keep ahead. This might be a feature, not a bug: people who work are less likely to cause trouble..."
[close quote]
Show of hands:
* how many cheapRVers work jobs of 'questionable use'?
* how many of us Do! Something! just to keep ahead of the bankers?
... and the biggie...
* how many are doing some gig to avoid misbehaving...
...or perhaps...
* appearing to be merely another worker-bee in The Hive to camouflage your misbehavements?
I associate with 'questionable' types because I rarely need to explain my vehicle-living motives.
And I noticed something:
* pretty much everybody I know enjoys 'misbehaving' as a part-time hobby, just something to do for the sharts-n-giggles.
How about you?

IMHO..

"Society" has lost its right to determine whether I am behaving or not. "Society" is sick with greed and indifference. "Society" has no moral leg to stand on to be lecturing me on my behavior.

I refuse to needlessly hurt people or take advantage of them. I care about animals and the environment. I work for a living. I'm happy with who I am and the questionable people I associate with. I won't let society's judgements affect me.

Our Heating System:
Our interior is about 7x12 x 7h, around 600cf.
Our insulation is excessively obsessive, our windows tiny and dual-pane.
We acquired three Wave 3 catalytic heaters, we use one on 'LOW'.
Nearly two decades full-time live-aboard, the other two heaters are new-in-box unopened.
We open two windows on opposite walls.
The escaping warm air carries odors and humidity.
We have two smoke detectors from different manufacturers.
We have two CO detectors from different manufacturers.
An aside:
Early in our journey, we experienced monsoons over the bed and other interior drenchery.
Avidly believing in the 'No! Holes! In! The! Roof!' theory of avoiding moisture invasion, we taped all the roof seams, we sealed the roof as a unit, and none of that helped the interior humidity caused by -- we incorrectly presumed -- leaks in the roof.
T'wasn't that a'tall.
The humidity was from closed windows.
And, as you might imagine, everything inside was soaked squishy:
* bedding
* towels
* upholstery
* pillows
* matches
* etcetera.
We slowly discovered the proper window openings -- plural -- to flush humidity sourced from the combination of:
* cooking humidity
* breathing humidity
* humidity from the heater.
Another aside:
With our bizarre amount of insulation, we rarely burn the heater above about 40°f.
Example:
November 3rd, 2022.
Eugene, Oregon.
No heater all night, windows open a half-inch each.
Frost on the Dodge windshield.
Inside the rig, we never noticed outside got below freezing.
And yet another aside:
The Wave 3 catalytic heater is marginal at heating air.
We discovered it works better by heating something, so we laid our floor with slate.
On its stumpy legs, the heater heats the stone, then the stone slowly radiates warmth into our habitat.
A side benefit:
* the warm slate floor is tootsie comfy.
An aside:
For the first couple-three weeks, we covered the cooled heater like 'Internet advice' says to do.
But, for most of the past two decades, it sits naked, it is stored naked... and we use it naked.

re -- battery security
2003, for our ExpeditionVehicle, I fabricated a set of battery trays for under the rear-entry deck and between the frames.
To check on the bank, two pad-locks are removed, the deck rotates 'UP', then the deluxe hum-dinger tire-thumper slides into place for support.
In this series of portraits, you might be able to see a pair of big flat-worshers welded to a cross-member under the deck.
These 'mate' to a corresponding pair welded to the vehicle frame.
For battery security with the deck in the 'DOWN' position, an inexpensive pad-lock goes through each matching pair, completing the Fortress Of Invincibility.
We chose this type of pad-lock because they are 'keyed-alike' to the dead-bolts on our entry door and the door on the 40' semi-trailer.
An aside:
To reduce rattles between the deck and vehicle frame, we hand-crafted a pair of 'snubbers' from a discarded bicycle tire.
Please, note the white-walls... posh all the way!

Attachments

• IMG_20221123_143224.jpg
    IMG_20221123_143224.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20221123_143345.jpg
    IMG_20221123_143345.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Our Bed...
2003, I fabricated our mattress platform with expanded metal, similar to stout window-screen.
This allows plenty of air to circulate under and through the mattress.
Why circulate fresh air in the sleep zone?
Some folks report an accumulation of moisture under and inside their mattress, often accompanied by mold and fungus and black ooze muck.
We think circulating some fresh air probably makes a positive difference.
Our mattress:
We invested a morning in the yuge warehouse show-room of American Mattress on West 11th in Eugene, Oregon.
After sampling their dozens of displays, we handed our check-list build-sheet to the construction crew.
We watched as they assembled our new mattress.
In less than an hour, we pulled the rig up to the loading dock, and they helped us lift and insert our new mattress.
We gave it a good test for a couple-three nights and afternoon delights, then decided we could do better.
We topped it with a three-inch egg-crate foam, and this's bliss.
The area under the platform has plenty of space for translucent flip-top crates stacked two-high... for socks and bloomers and a lifetime supply of smoked sardines, that sort of thing.
www.americanmattressstores.com

If we built a rig and trailer with side doors, we think an awning would be just ducky to form a semi-enclosed patio.
These folks went further with skirts around their rig and matching trailer.
I imagine this reduces wind and snow-drifts:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220817-171514.png
    Screenshot_20220817-171514.png
    179.1 KB · Views: 2
Navy Sit-Up Berths:
If you have a lot of folks in your entourage, these might be a good idea.
Looking at the 'artist depiction', each bunk appears to be about seven horizontal feet plus about five vertical feet for lockers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220609-104317.png
    Screenshot_20220609-104317.png
    345.1 KB · Views: 0
Navy Sit-Up Berths:
If you have a lot of folks in your entourage, these might be a good idea.
Looking at the 'artist depiction', each bunk appears to be about seven horizontal feet plus about five vertical feet for lockers.
I like that space saving bunk concept. I have not seen it before. It would reduce the feeling of claustrophobia and the skull busting events.

Auxiliary Transportation:
Our ancient BMW motorcycle has around 137,000 miles.
We like its sturdiness and durability, its available speed (velocity!), and its cargo capacity.
To some folk, I realize it probably appears over-built for dashing camp-to-town for errands.
And compared to a scooter, an e-bike, or a small displacement dual-sport, they could be right.
However, our ride is a veteran of excursions to Ecuador, Costa Rica, and all over North America.
Next stop -- Afrika?
At the risk of drawing ire from the hardcore 'MC' patch crowd, we are considering an broidered back ((something about 'Continent Hoppers'?), a reference to localist motorcyclists going bar-hopping on their Saturday afternoon off work from their straight gig).
That embroidery would be on our bright lime florescent Real-World protective coats, instead of an only-for-show leather vest intended to offend the straights.
YouTuber and full-time live-aboard 'Alicia Ard' lives in the forest, occasionally whizzing to town on her e-bike.
A few other YouTube folks do similar.
I see folk putzing around on big-tire Yamaha TW200 trail-bikes, some tugging specialized tiny trailers to carry provisions.
What would your auxiliary transportation look like?
* Tucker SnoCat... with post-apoch armor ready for a WROL (Without Rule Of Law) planet?
* ancient BMW motorcycle?
* 1953 Austin Healey with a Chevy V-8?
* or perhaps a boat...
An aside:
I built the Healey in the 1960s, campaigned at Sears Point and Laguna Seca, plus SCCA events in the back parking-lot at Cal-Expo in Sacramento.
I honestly truly believed I was bomb-proof and would live forever.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230604-052918.png
    Screenshot_20230604-052918.png
    672.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230424-220551.png
    Screenshot_20230424-220551.png
    301 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220210-211209~2.png
    Screenshot_20220210-211209~2.png
    583.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221002-041332.png
    Screenshot_20221002-041332.png
    268.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Subdivisions:
Fresh from a stand-still house, some home-builders of home-built rigs design their nomadic homes as a miniature version of the familiar.
Their tour sounds like:
* "... and hiding behind this door is the tiny room for hiding the throne and contemplating time... and we also hide our enormously-complicated ShowerSystem© with a lot of things to go wrong hiding behind these extra walls..."
* "... and hiding behind this door is the sleep room... for hiding our privacy."
* "... and hiding behind this door is the garage for hiding our surfboards and dog-food."
"Etcetera."
Contrarians, we inevitably took the other fork on that path.
Our interior is one yuge empty space, zero walls to violate the sight-lines.
We think this offers two advantages:
* visually and viscerally, the space seems bigger... amplified by no cabinets above waist-level.
* without walls, air circulates with gleeful abandon... reducing dead spots of moisture and cold.
Another advantage could be inventory.
We can instantly count the number of clean towels or the number of cans of coconut milk, that sort of thing.
In this portrait, you might notice the arching vardo-style ceiling and the pegs holding some of the Black & Decker square-base flashlights:

Attachments

• IMG_20230724_184554.jpg
    IMG_20230724_184554.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Shower Gizmo 'Up'-Grade 'Up'-Date
One issue with the Craftsman back-pack garden-sprayer is that hose is only a few inches long.
Either you shower on your knees or you prop the Gizmo on a 'handy' stump or boulder.
I suppose you could hang it on a 'handy' branch or spike in the side of the barn.
For a while, we set the Gizmo on the porch and stood on the ground/pavement to adapt to the short hose.
That lasted a couple-three days.
We needed to extend the hose, so we visited a hose-making shop
https://a1coupling.com/with rows of bins of brass and plastic fittings.
We acquired a 10'/3m remnant of braided 3/8" hose, cut off about 3'/1m to splice in between the tank and the drizzler...
... and thought we were good.
Until two simultaneous events:
a -- one of the Heelers appropriated the drizzler for a chew-toy, and
b -- some goofballs -- living in the dirt turn-around of our dead-end (why they thought they needed such a thing is beyond me) -- abandoned a box of junk including a hand-held shower head with about 3'/1m of hose!
Score!
We immediately added that to the extension.
We use the Gizmo for showers every day, plus worshing the dogs every couple weeks, plus hosing off the porch and muddy galoshes.
One year, zero issues.
This portrait shows the Gizmo with its 'up'-grade... pretty snazzy (the Gizmo sits on a 'six-gallon' rectangle 'milk' crate (us$6 at Coastal Farm And Ranch Supply
www.coastalcountry.com
), the extension and head hang on the cab of our next ExpeditionVehicle conversion (the eagle-eyed might notice the rig is licensed as a 'House-Car' despite its bare rear frame))!:

Attachments

• IMG_20230830_161407.jpg
    IMG_20230830_161407.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
* Accidentally blocked-in at the 'Open! 24-hours! Girls! Girls! Girls!' store?
* Camping at a foundry or in a working quarry?
* The only spot available is under the car-crusher at the wrecking yard?
* Scored the highly-desired live-in night-manager/day-sleeper gig at the machine-gun rentals?
* Are foam earplugs on your grocery list, and your fuel-station list, and your first/second/third prescription requests at the doctor?
Noise, how fun!
How do we deal with exterior noise?
Building our ExpeditionVehicle, we went with prevention.
As we detail in our introduction (above), we insulated excessively-obsessive:
* adhesive-back acoustic against the outside wall and ceiling, a gap, then
* one-inch pink-board, another air-gap, then
* two-inch foil-side poly.
And because glass transfers exterior noise and reflects interior noise, our windows are small dual-pane.
Additionally, our bed occupies much of the interior, so those soft fabrics absorb a lot of noise.
Additionally, we built with a 'vardo' in mind.
These use rafters or ribs across the ceiling... they interrupt, deflect, and re-direct echos.
Nothing we did was innovative or ground-breaking.
We merely adapted tested methods.
ProTip:
* If you get blocked-in at the all-night exotic-dancers bar more than a couple-three times a week, you might consider applying for a position...

Last edited: