Embraco compressor Whirlpool fridge

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced the electronic thermometer setup in my Waeco CF-50 with an old skool mechanical unit and it works great. Got it off Amazon, slow boat from China, super cheap too. ..Willy.

Update.... My battery can't do the job. I can run it doesn't two 30 minute cycles between sundown and sunup. That is enough to keep water frozen with no defrosting. Got true temps with a laser thingy. Freezer a 5 and fridge at 36 degrees during day cycle. Cabinet at 69 to 71 degrees during day. Walls of inside of camper at 69 to 71 degrees so insulation of unit must be excellant!

At this point I need a better battery and also use a low draw inverter. Yesterday was cloudy all day and things still went well. Researching old Embraco compressors they r very efficent and energy conservative. Don't know if these results apply to a modern compressor dorm fridge.

I am going to say this is totally doable at this time. 

You need a decent battery, 2 Trojans  if you want to run something besides the fridge and a LED light and a mechanical electric timer. Otherwise for fridge only I think a good 12 volt marine. Plus a panel capable of recharging a battery in one day. I would be very comfortable with my 245 watt 24 volt and my Eco Worthy MPPT conttoller doing all my electric needs with 2 Trojans. Otherwise probably for fridge only a 140 watt 12 volt panel with PWM controller and 12 volt battery. This Embraco compressor is awesome!  More experimenting when I can fin a decent low cost 12 volt marine. I am not willing to use my Trojans yet. Besides there are 4 of them. I did notice last year in Quartzsite a lot of new travel trailers and motorhome come with electric fridges that are 110 volt. Some of my friends boondocking with 500 to 600 watts on the roof and run a inverter for full size freezer fridge units. Using  propane seems out of style. Who knows...