Electricity for Noobs?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipsterreplacement

Reaction score
When I was a kid, my nightlight fell partially out of the outlet. When I pushed it back in with the heel of my hand, I got badly shocked/burned and had to go to the ER. I have been skeered of electricity ever since.

But I realize it's time I learn more about how basic electronics work not just because it would come in handy for tinkering in plant science labs, but because I really do want to know what I'm doing when I buy solar equipment and need to know about inverters and such. Do folks have recommendations for easy-to-understand materials (book, video) that are geared towards non-mathy, non-engineering types?

I currently own a fold-open solar panel I bought years ago that has a female cigarette lighter DC interface. I bought an inverter for it that I've never used because I have no freaking idea what I'm doing and I'm too afraid of doing something wrong. In future, if I can save up for it, I'd like to get some Renogy or other solar panels on top of my minivan and start rigging things up inside.  Most van life conversations about "house batteries" and such fly right over my head.

Of course for many beginnners with no background in electricity after a very short while the written discussions on electrical installations can become one big brain blur. You are far from being unique with the flying over your head syndrome.

But first you have some fear to overcome.
You can practice creating circuits with some wires and AA flashlight batteries and some little low voltage light bulbs. You can get the bulbs,the wire, crimps and such and the tools at the local hardware store. You won't get a big shock with that type of project even if you did mess it up. It is a good way to baby step your skills and knowledge and build confidence without overwhelming yourself with fear.

If you look on the internet you will see basic electricity projects designed for kids where they are wiring up simple circuits. Start there and for now don't worry about house batteries and solar contollers and an inverter. Just get comfortable and build your skills while increasing your knowledge of the vocabulary words that relate to electrical wiring by doing those small electrical tutorial projects. Be sure you advance yourself with a basic tutorial on checking those simple circuits with a multimeter.

When conversations fly over your head go to youtube university and watch the instructional videos from companies such as Renogy. They know they are selling to people such as yourself so they provide you with an education with step by step images to help you understand what it is and what to do.

In some cities there are tool libraries where they hold basic skill classes on various tools and common household repairs. Working with some wires and doing simple things like replacing a plug or switch is a common household repair.

I like to play with people who don't know much about electricity and stick a fork in the receptacle, it's fun watching their expression when you don't get shocked cause you put it in the left hole instead of the right one.   :p

lol...as a bored teen we used to bend a paperclip into a U-shape and using a block of wood or cardboard, shove it into the outlets in the hallways of apartment complexes. Huge spark with a loud bang, and then the hallway lights all went dark.. nothing but red EXIT signs lighting the way out...and quite often the plastic outlet cover and surrounding wall paper or paint got badly scorched...fun stuff!

Oh wait...where were we?

Oh yeah, basic electronics...carry on...

:cool:

110 volt outlets are not that dangerous if you are not wet.

It will make you throw a pair of pliers or a screwdriver though. Maybe even say a few choice words to boot.

I had a friend that used to hold one wire in each hand. It made him vibrate a little.

I've thrown my fair share over the years. One of these days you would think I would flip the breaker for that circuit that I was working on.

it is the time for encouragement and useful tips or links for a beginner who wants to gain skills and I know a lot of you have those types of things to contribute.

So how about a basic list of tools the poster will need to have for the work? Can you contribute that?

What about an affordable multi-meter that will cover the testing needed? Can you contribute that information?

Quick story, when I was in my late teens a good friend of my dads & I built dune buggies together. I leaned metalwork(taking 14" out of the pan) welding, cuttinf,painting. drinking bear, all the important thigs in life. Ronnie was his name & he had a house on a crawlspace & wanted a basement so he started hand digging one & hit a 12" clay drain pipe which filled our hole. The city didn't even know it was there but we put in a sump pump & carried on. We both were pranksters & were in the hole when I looked over & Ronnie was shaking like crazy & I thought he was goofing off so I got a big laugh until I realize he wasn't joking he was being shocked si I un pkugged the pump, boy was he mad! In an after school job I worked rebuilding starters, alternators & electric motors & as a test light we used a 60 watt bulb & 2 probes to check the comutators on the armetures & got shocked alot but after a whils it doesn't even bother you. My worst adventure was testing the jet style fuel oil steam builer when we bought the farm & was knocked across the room when I touched the wrong spot on the transformer, also fried my Fluke meter I bought $10 at a yardsale. That hurt the most.

My advice on a meter is buy a multimeter with a clamp. I just bought this one from Amazon for $10 with a coupon on slickdeals
Multimeter, Tacklife CM01A Clamp Meter 4000 Counts Auto-Ranging Digital Tester with NCV, AC/DC Voltage, Current, Ohm, Continuity Electrical Tester, Diode, Resistance,Capacitance Meters
Sold by: Tack-life
Return eligible through Mar 23, 2019
$25.97
I just have SlickDeals send me their Front Page deals so I don't get overloaded. Warch you tubes & don't be afraid of electricity just respect it. If you know 2 of the 3, amps, volts, watts you can find the 3rd very easily. This explains it better than can this early http://www.renewableedge.com/calculate_volts_amps_watts.html Good Luck, be safe & wear rummer soled shoes :)

Go down to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy the multimeter you can afford. If you get one that clamps over a cable and measures DC amps that is better. Be sure it does DC amps with a clamp device. Here is a excellent meter at a reasonable price for the quality. ; https://shop.marinehowto.com/products/sterling-power-dc-ac-amp-clamp-volt-meter
I also collect the ones Harbor Freight hands out with the free coupons. They work well, but the leads are junk and soon fail. But, hey, free is good.
A good screwdriver, one of those multi tool types. I like the ones found in the electrical asle. A good wire stripper. There are two basic sizes, it depends on the size wire, but I use one from Klein Tool that does 6, 8, 10, & 12 awg. I have a different one for smaller awg.
If you poke around on that marine how to site I posted above, you will learn how to use the tools and what tools are better.

hipsterreplacement said:
When I was a kid, my nightlight fell partially out of the outlet. When I pushed it back in with the heel of my hand, I got badly shocked/burned and had to go to the ER. I have been skeered of electricity ever since.

But I realize it's time I learn more about how basic electronics work not just because it would come in handy for tinkering in plant science labs, but because I really do want to know what I'm doing when I buy solar equipment and need to know about inverters and such. Do folks have recommendations for easy-to-understand materials (book, video) that are geared towards non-mathy, non-engineering types?

I currently own a fold-open solar panel I bought years ago that has a female cigarette lighter DC interface. I bought an inverter for it that I've never used because I have no freaking idea what I'm doing and I'm too afraid of doing something wrong. In future, if I can save up for it, I'd like to get some Renogy or other solar panels on top of my minivan and start rigging things up inside.  Most van life conversations about "house batteries" and such fly right over my head.

The top of this web page that I'm looking at has headings, one is "electrical" and another is "solar and wind". That would be a good place to start.

Once you get past your fear things will get better.... That solar kit you have ought to work great and inverters are for when you "need" AC power, I usually use 12v for everything.

Here is solar on a minivan (05' T&C)  http://observations-on-the-road.blogspot.com/2016/09/solar-on-mini-van.html , I hope it helps in the idea department.

hipsterreplacement said:

The top of this web page that I'm looking at has headings, one is "electrical" and another is "solar and wind". That would be a good place to start.

Once you get past your fear things will get better.... That solar kit you have ought to work great and inverters are for when you "need" AC power, I usually use 12v for everything.

Here is solar on a minivan (05' T&C)  http://observations-on-the-road.blogspot.com/2016/09/solar-on-mini-van.html , I hope it helps in the idea department.

Quite new in electricity and been trying to learn continuously since I'm going have to deal with power, installation, solar, outlets, wirings and more in our RV. Slowly learning, but I won't be an expert soon. Finding step by step guides online is just as hard.

Weldman said:
I like to play with people who don't know much about electricity and stick a fork in the receptacle, it's fun watching their expression when you don't get shocked  cause you put it in the left hole instead of the right one.   :p

All`s good provided the outlet was actually wired correctly. I'd not recommend anyone ever do this.
Now then, if your interested in some safe, experienced hands-on knowledge you might stop by your local Home Depot or Lowes. They offer several diy training classes, for free, on a variety of topics. Ask and see what is offered. DC Vs AC current may not be directly covered but, any in-person knowledge you gain will simplify the basics. Better yet, ask where you can find a retired electrician and get a phone number. You might be surprised how willing they'd be to show you.

Just my thoughts.

hipsterreplacement said:

That's why the ground goes up instead of down like it used to so if you drop something it will hit the ground prong & hoprfully deflect.

the reason that an outlet is flipped so that ground is up(on top) is to show that the outlet is controlled by a wall switch. this has been common practice for residential house wiring for years. highdesertranger

^^^What HDR said. Of course the laws may be different in other parts of the country. Here in Texas the upside down ground is controlled by a light switch.

Read it & weep boys! Just google it. We sold commecial electricions also & I've always done my own to code.
This is a demonstration of why you should keep the ground up on an electrical outlet. If a metal object were to fall between the hot and neutral prongs, it can cause injuries or damage to your equipments. The better solution would be to install a GFCI outlet or a GFCI circuit and a surge protector for your home.Jan 15, 2015
Why you should keep ground up on electrical outlet - YouTube

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
icon1.gif
[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Pass and Seymour has a little "up" printed on the yoke, (ground up) this could be interpreted as a manufacture specification . Other than that its the wild wild west.[/font]

I don't have a current code book but found medical facilities, hospitals have to always the ground up & most recepts do have an up arrow pointing the ground up. If you still doubt me I can get a current code book. I liked the wild wild west quote above :)