Electric Fridge Selection

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarmeCoolidge

Reaction score
Before I finalize some renovation plans, I need to choose what fridge I'm going with. What are good places to look? I've been browsing home depot, best buy, and a couple of other home stores near me. I'm going to look at the larger furniture stores in my region to see what they have.

I can go tall or wide.

To go tall I'd need a fridge that is 19-23" deep and no taller than 45", which is quite large already. It's going to be sandwiched on three sides, so I'm thinking I'd just run a wire from the back of the fridge to the wall of the van to make sure it doesn't topple.

The advantage of the wide fridge would be the extra desktop space on top of it. The underside of the desktop I'm putting in will be 24.5" from the floor, so the fridge would have to be shorter than that. It would still need to be 19-23" deep.

I have looked around for fridge options. It's easy to find tall options in that form factor, but I'm having trouble finding wider front loading units. Maybe it would be better to go with two small fridges side by side? I do want some freezing space, though.

I struggle to guess how much interior space I'd need as I don't have much experience cooking. I've seen recommendations for 4-6 cubic feet per person. This form factor works well for that, if that advice is accurate.

I've seen the portable refrigerators suggested elsewhere. They fit the lower form factor but the ones I've seen are chest style and overpriced. They tout energy efficiency but I will be connected to the grid and fridges are pretty dang efficient as is.

Thanks for the help :D

It's going to be sandwiched on three sides

Make sure to take into account ventilation of the unit.

Some 120v fridges use 'skin condensers' that need natural air flow on the sides, and maybe also the back panel. Other fridges use actual exposed condenser tubing on the back, with natural airflow, and still others have a fan and condensor unit near the floor, and actively blow air under the unit and around the coils of tubing.

Last edited:
Keep in mind whatever refrigerator you put in you will eventually have to take out for cleaning and or repairs/ replacement. We chose one that just fit which makes it a pain to deal with when we have issues. And just for the moderators this is the bullfrog yet more site problems! Had to start a new to get logged in!

Make sure to take into account ventilation of the unit.

Some 120v fridges use 'skin condensers' that need natural air flow on the sides, and maybe also the back panel. Other fridges use actual exposed condenser tubing on the back, with natural airflow, and still others have a fan and condensor unit near the floor, and actively blow air under the unit and around the coils of tubing.
Yes! It would be sandwiched by an open air desk, the frame of the bed ~2' off the ground, and the wall behind it. The curve of the wall ensures some space, but depending on which I get I may have to position a tad away from the wall, yeah. Thanks for the advice :)

You just need the right keywords to find things 🙂. Finding things quickly is always related to getting the correct keywords in the search engine.

In this instance I used “Undercounter side by side fridge”
You can order it through Home Depot
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RCA-31-...2-Door-Mini-Fridge-in-Black-RFR551/305720485?
But 24” tall is not going to be easy to find as the most common demand is to fit them under a standard kitchen countertop cabinet height. If you need that shorterbheight you will be stuck with the very small fridges made to sit on top of counters and those will not be side by side units. But perhaps the restaurant industry has such units. I do not know as I am not going to search with that criteria. But you can 😊 Countertop side by side fridge restaurant supply

Last edited:
I have heard that regular fridges or freezers don't work well unless they're very level.

Some people buy the ones intended for boats, as they're designed to run even when they're very 'not level'.

The ones that don't work well if they are not level are "absorption" fridges. The ones that run on propane are ALL absorption fridges. Some that run on 12/120 are also absorption fridges. I also find they also don't work well enough on very hot days. What you want is a fridge/freezer with a compressor in it.

I'm 4+ years on the road with a 10 cubic foot upright 120 v apartment fridge/freezer.........No problems

4 6-volt lead-acid batteries......600 watts solar.....1000 watt PSW inverter....Honda generator backup (winter)

I have a 120V 'dorm' fridge. The installation instructions explicitly call for 2 inches of clearance on sides and top, and 3 inches in back. The back, left side, and top get warm when the fridge is running.

Look into marine units, they are designed to operate not being stable. Yes, they are significantly more expensive but can also be long-lasting.
My plan is a 12vdc chest freezer, with frozen food removed to a cooler box whereby as it thaws it maintains the cooler ambient temp @~50F. I have been doing this for many years now with a freezer/refrigerator. I cook large batches of soups/stews that are the basis of 90% of my dinners. I have a limited menu and am single so it works for me. Consider how sailboaters function without using the generator much.
Standard refrigeration TMK requires 24hr's of stability after movement. I believe that is likely due to the resulting micro gas bubbles in the refrigeration media. Any refrigeration techs out there?

A lot of people who are new to this subject get confused about what type of fridges have to be left pretty much level when In use. But it is easy enough to sort out, if it can run on propane then it must always be very close to level when in use.

If it can’t run on propane it does not matter if it is primarily marketed to the marine community or to the RV community. The reason you do not see propane fridges sold for boats is that boats do not consistently stay level. It is not about durability from movement, it is because they go off level frequently with the wave actions.

Last edited:
Just make sure you can pull them out when needed. The freezer spaces will frost up over time and you'll want to reclaim that space.