Economic collapse and when the SHTF

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction score
A lot of people are talking about an impending economic collapse in the USA. Whether or not you believe in such an event, it's wise to think about it beforehand and have a plan.

Assuming for this thread that there will be one, this raises issues that are unique to van dwellers and beg solutions.

1. If the dollar is devalued or becomes worthless, what will those on a fixed income such as Social Security do to survive?

2. If the nation's delivery system of trucks quits rolling, the food and gas will disappear within 24 hours. Van dwellers need fuel to move their homes and run generators, as well as cooking and heat. Alternatively, if the price of gas rose to $12.00 per gallon, could you adapt to that?

3. Remote van dwellers may become isolated targets, unable to stand watch at all times or protect themselves.

4. Being mugged in a city means you lose your wallet, watch, cellphone and money. For us, we lose it all, including the home and all items in it.

Seems logical that if we banded together as the old wagon trains once did, we would stand a better chance.

In closing, the below link was written by a man who lived in Argentina during the 2001 economic collapse and is great reading. It does make one think about our future as well. I hope you all read it and learn something from it.

http://www.rapidtrends.com/surving-argentinas-economic-collapse-part-1-3/

If there was a collapse, I'm sure Quartsite will be a good place to meet up. It's like RV and Dweller heaven over there. Warm weather year round, nice folks and wide open space that's off the grid (IE not a target for nuclear weapons.)

On that note, this is why I'm going to invest heavily into solar and wind power when I move into my small RV. Wind power for 24 hour generation, and solar for daytime generation (where it's more needed). This keeps you from needing too much gas. In 5 to 10 years, I have planned of fully converting the RV to electric up to 300 or 400 miles. By then the technology will have been advanced seeing as how they're making major advancements in solar and battery storage, and electric wheels are gaining a ton of momentum, and are powerful.

It's something I recommend for everyone. Obviously cost is an issue, but there are always ways to make some cash.

Bullets, beans and bandages, water purification and wood burning supplies, and last but not least, a rendezvous point to wagon train at, preferably near the woods, with a temperate climate year round...

I'm no prepper, but anyone living in a van will be immediately better off during an economic catastrophe for a number of reasons. For one, being basically self-sufficient where shelter is concerned, and alreay living fairly frugally. Where it will be a shock to many, conservation in all things will already be second nature.

The ability to move if a place becomes dangerous, with everything needed to survive is a pretty decent start, too. Bob's got a prepper/survivalist theme going on his blog and touches on many of these things, one of which is having a decent supply of food and water on hand. Again, with food and water, and having practiced conservation as a way of life, living after the SHTF will be easier for vandwellers than for others.

As vulnerable as a van or RV might be to being taken by force, it's still better protection than a tent...

And once the gas runs out, hopefully one has found a safe place to be. Assuming that's the case, no reason it doesn't become a fixed location home.

Pretty much, vandwellers and RVrs will have a leg up on most of the general populace if the worst goes down, being already prepared and outfitted.

Be observant. Train yourself to have a watchful eye and a careful ear. Take the time to learn to do things you feel you may need. Cooking on fire, boiling water, making soap and alcohol for disinfectant, make simple traps from nature. Practice.

I think I have an advantage in that I take everything with me and I don't need gas to go home.

I already survive months @ a time without needing or spending.....simple communication such as CB / Ham /gmrs will be a necessary part of survival ....I dont think cell & internet will be so prevalent when SHTF...

solar will be important for day to day living....fuel will become scarce
a gas refrigeration system will become a necessity because when your batteries give up your panels are no longer going to do alot..but a gas system can be converted to natural gas pretty simply and run off of human methane waste.

water is going to be needed and sanitized
and a replenish-able food source.....(sorry growing doesnt work well in the dessert)

so that being said ....see you all in the big mountain meadows.....food ,game ,water and woodland safety on high ground !!!!..........if you decide to join me , bring your snow shoes....at least the beer will be cold!!!

The ability to leave a sh!tty environment quickly is key. Or if you plan to stay in the said sh!tty environment/location, at least have some basic preparation supplies handy. Being mobile in a vehicle is a big plus. Of course, you can only do so much. If something hugely disastrous were to happen, then it probably makes little difference how much one is prepared. When I say huge, I mean something like a monster asteroid slamming to Earth, or YellowStone park blowing up in volcanic ashes, or some other disaster of biblical proporations. Something that huge would make anyone's plans shatter to pieces in a hurry.

!. The dollar is being devalued now. The more that money is printed/created, the less the others dollars are worth. It happens as the prices of goods and services continue to rise. Another way it happens is that the quantity of the product goes down but the price stays the same. !/2 gallon of ice cream? Show me one........
It wouldn't matter if your pay continued to go up at the same rate but that's the problem.
2. The trucks will roll because the wealth of the nation has not been fully extracted.

Its going to continue to get worse for reglur folks but there is an enormous amount of money in the system that will pass from the baby boomers parents. There is a lot of money in 401 and ira accounts. People will spend it when forced to. People on fixed incomes and low wages will obviously be hurt the most and the soonest.
Total collapse? None of us have a crystal ball. Some even make money off fear, and even off of your dreams.

The Humungus: There has been too much violence. Too much pain. But I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Give me your pump, the oil, the gasoline, and the whole compound, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away and we'll give you a safe passageway in the wastelands. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.

I'm worried about all the baby boomers who will be retiring in the near future, and the current crop of workers that may not be enough to support the system. That would be cause for major concern. There aren't enough young folks nowadays dropping babies like the old days to work their butts off to support our national debt and pay for future social security beneficiaries. Imagine all the ramifications and unintended consequences that would cause.

gsfish said:
Don't tell anyone but in a survival situation I would be sticking near the water. Along the coast here in Florida a person should have a reliable source of protein through fishing, either by line, diving, nets or traps. A decent pellet gun would add birds and small game to the menu. A small boat than can he human powered would expand your foraging territory. In reality survivors would probably be elbow to elbow down by the bay.

Don't forget your bicycle capable of carrying a load. Here are a couple pictures of my cargo delivery bike.

Guy

I remember those from the 50's. The grocery store delivery boy had one.

caseyc said:
The ability to leave a sh!tty environment quickly is key. Or if you plan to stay in the said sh!tty environment/location, at least have some basic preparation supplies handy. Being mobile in a vehicle is a big plus. Of course, you can only do so much. If something hugely disastrous were to happen, then it probably makes little difference how much one is prepared. When I say huge, I mean something like a monster asteroid slamming to Earth, or YellowStone park blowing up in volcanic ashes, or some other disaster of biblical proporations. Something that huge would make anyone's plans shatter to pieces in a hurry.

I'm near the San Joaquin Valley in California. A deputy sheriff I know has already told me that FEMA has plans in place to shut off all exits from major cities in the event of an emergency. No one is getting out.

Perhaps being rural at all times is not such a bad thing.

66788 said:
A deputy sheriff I know has already told me that FEMA has plans in place to shut off all exits from major cities in the event of an emergency. No one is getting out.

And do you believe this??

Do you remember the failure FEMA had in dealing with the victims of hurricane Catrina?? It was all said and done before they even showed up.
Bless them for trying to help, but there's only so much these folks could possibly do...even with the help of the National Guard. If someting like this actually happened...they'd have too much on their plates to even consider such tactics.

but I agree with the idea of NOT living near any cities........YUK!!!

Patrick46 said:

I normally would have taken this with a grain of salt, but after seeing the government agencies like the USDA buying sub-machine guns, and the Post Office buying 80 million rounds of hollow point ammo, nothing really is out of the question.

There can be no doubt that all Federal agencies are arming themselves to the teeth. The question is "For what?"

The only reasonable answer is for control of the masses in the event of civil disobedience, economic collapse, or natural disaster.

interesting thread. while I can't see how this insanity can keep going on, it does. since the late 70's I have believed that economic collapse was right around the next corner, but it hasn't happened. I have my meager stockpile of survival goods, guns, ammo, food, tools, gold and silver. so will it happen in my lifetime, don't know. but I do believe it will happen just a matter of when. also the longer it takes to happen the worse it will be. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

Patrick46 said:

Do you remember the failure FEMA had in dealing with the victims of hurricane Catrina?? It was all said and done before they even showed up.
Bless them for trying to help, but there's only so much these folks could possibly do...even with the help of the National Guard. If someting like this actually happened...they'd have too much on their plates to even consider such tactics.

but I agree with the idea of NOT living near any cities........YUK!!!

Frankly, I'd be surprised to see the feds do anything in an efficient manner. Although I will admit to being surprised at the speed with which the airports were shut down after 9/11, even our little backwoods airport.

I thought point no 1 already happened to people in Detroit? No pension? Among others.

Having rv is great, but it won't help much. Worst come to worst, it will be your sitting home (since no more gas / diesel to go around). But if it is well equipped for bondooking with solar (eg: EarthRoamer with 720 watt solar) then it helps. It protects you from element too. But you will need a bycycle to go around. if your bike tire came to a point it can't be repaired, at least it can help offload your bug out bag by not having on your back.

For SHTF situation, an RV merely a bonus. Equipt yourself with survival tools and a bike. And when I said survival tools, I'm not talking about short term only, but longer term. I once read a comment about Gerber BG TinderBox. A person said that all weather matches is better. If you plan to live for 5 year, how many all weather matches are you going to carry? I know you can't use sunlight at night to start fire, or on cloudy day, but a tinderbox has its use. And use it well.

I'm pretty sure Alex Jones sells an anti FEMA home kit. It has the FEMA coffin identification guide poster, FEM-A-way aerosol spray, and the "I don't think so, Brownie" coffee mug and t shirt combo. For platinum members or those just renewing you also get the hand-crank solar powered survival egg beater now with egg purification built right in.

Its pretty much the best way to go for all your fear based purchases and water purification needs.

mockturtle said:
Frankly, I'd be surprised to see the feds do anything in an efficient manner. Although I will admit to being surprised at the speed with which the airports were shut down after 9/11, even our little backwoods airport.

Yes, exactally.

With the airports, that was simply a matter of them calling all airports (with the proper credentials) and telling them to shut it down until further notice. Simple, and no outside work was needed.

but this idea of blocking the freeways and highways would be a huge undertaking, and would require a ton of planning and organizing...especially when you talking about all major cities, and doing them all at basically the same time.

NOPE...couldn't see it happening. (not at least during peace times) If the world was at war, then times and things would be different...but that's not the case.

I'm done though.....this is all sounding too much like the old book "1984".
I'm not one to sit around speculating how things are gonna transpire if SHTF ever happens. No thanx!

I've got enough on my plate for today. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.