Driving in the desert sand

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netter

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone deflate their tires when entering the desert on their way to a camping spot? If so, how much psi do you let out? 

Thanks

Only if I get stuck, then I drop it down to about 8 psi and re-inflate once I get back on solid ground.

deflating your tires greatly increases your traction. however you must slow down and never drive on pavement with deflated tires. how much you let out depends on your tires, vehicle, and conditions you are driving in. what type of vehicle are we talking about? how heavy is it? what is the load rating of your tires? what PSI do you normally run? highdesertranger

----- how much psi do you let out?

You need a compressor to air back up or too many road miles will be bad.

let air out until the sidewalls start bulging out some, if its slightly rocky sand or rock in the area don't go to much, you can put a gauge on to get a set point, in an empty pickup then you let more out in the rear tires.If your on beach type sand or duneish (not a real word) you can let out more,

Some dunes/sand are really soft and a 4x4 can get stuck if you stop on level sand, so keep moving and only stop on a down slope if you can.

This is where experience counts, knowing your vehicle is best learned when with someone with a vehicle to help you out if you have problems. Tire and rim damage is possible if pressure is too low or rocks wet and sharp like slate in a water crossing. Special rims allow pressures to go even lower while keeping the tire on rim. How high a pressure you start with will also determine how much traction you will gain by airing down. You only need enough traction to get unstuck but will need to air up once unstuck so an air supply is usually required as usually you have to deflate at least several pounds to get the traction you need. Education can be expensive.

Giving a range would help us noobies allot from those of you with experience.

High pressure tires and or normal tire pressure for truck tires.

1. Old 1995 Dodge Class B road trek stuck in Craggy Wash, Havasu city. How much would you air down? Typical tires, near max tire pressure for all. Reduce to 10-15 psi?

2. 2005 Express extended cargo van on an Oregon beach.  Again typical tires and pressures. Reduce to
15-20 psi?

3. 1988 Ford 24 ft class C in Slab City, again typical tires and pressures. Reduce to 30-40psi?

4. 2003 Toyota Sienna minivan at Imperial dunes with passenger tires. Reduce to 10 psi?

Thanks in advance for helping those with above vehicles and giving them guidance.

If you're talking about actual sand, then just don't drive on it unless you're in something like a sand buggy or you're with someone who could pull you out.

I once drove out on to crusty, hard packed desert sand. I was okay for a while -- until the consistency and depth suddenly changed, I lost momentum, bogged down and got stuck. Deflating didn't help and digging only gave me false hope. I had to get towed out.

As far as deflating goes, I use it more on hard, rock-strewn, unpaved roads in order to make it less jarring and less likely to puncture. Factory inflation specs for my 3/4 ton van are 50 front and 80 rear. I take them both down to 45PSI and drive slowly.

Minivanmotoman said:
Giving a range would help us noobies allot from those of you with experience.

To many variables, tires have 30-100 psi ratings, then you have weight on the tire, in an empty pickup you have to let out way more on the rear tires to get them to flatten.

The goal is to get the tire to deform and flatten on the sand increasing the surface area, width and length.

Its visual, then when you see a point you want then you can check the pressure so the next time you do it you know a good setting and can even up both sides.

If you want pressure numbers, park on a hard surface and let out air until it deforms some, write it down or remember it, then keep going until its very low, which would be a beach/dune setting, now you have a range, stay between that according the the terrain

it very hard to give a number while typing on a keyboard. someone with passenger car tires(P-rated) IMO has no business being in a situation were they need to air down. they are just asking for trouble. like Chuck said it depends on how much weight you have on the tires. it also depends on the type of sand. just after a heavy rain sand compacts so it's easy to drive on but let it dry out and it becomes a trap. sugar sand is the worse it's dry, loose, and has no bottom. heavy 2wd vehicles should avoid sand altogether. never spin your tires it just makes the situation worse. highdesertranger

Hi,

I asked because I watched a few member's videos that got stuck in the sand and had to be towed out. I think two of them were vans. I was wondering if deflating tires would of helped getting out on their own. I myself at this point starting out will be in a 1999 Merc. Tracer until I get a van. ( I plan to have a tire air compressor along with me)

Thanks

highdesertranger said:
sugar sand is the worse it's dry, loose, and has no bottom.

I was at dumont dunes once when a friend brought his new 4x4 out, he went out by himself to play around, he comes walking back into camp saying he was stuck (stopped on flat sand) while he was trying to get out by himself He Lost His KEYS in the sand, only took 2 hrs to find them

Good times.

Netter said:
Hi,

I was wondering if deflating tires would of helped getting out on their own.  I plan to have a tire air compressor along with me)

Thanks

Yes it helps, if stuck you can let them down super low, then air up right after you get unstuck, plus get some traction Mats, one tow will cost more than mats, 10-20 people die every year in the desert by getting stuck or breaking down, or lost.

traction Mats
http://amzn.to/2EBXlXn

I don't drive into sand unless I can see the other side. Like Goldilocks said, not too slow, not too fast. A **small** amount of fishtailing is usually about right.

Netter said:
I was wondering if deflating tires would of helped getting out on their own. I myself at this point starting out will be in a 1999 Merc. Tracer until I get a van. ( I plan to have a tire air compressor along with me)

Thanks

As you are inexperienced at this, I would suggest that you do not take it down to less that 15psi on a car for the first few times.  Once you get down to single digits, you have the possibility of the tires coming off the rims.

can not say for your rig.
but in a jeep cj-7 i have i drop the psi down to 4 pounds ( 35 in tall 12-1/2 in wide mudder tires). anytime i am "off road".
i avoid sand, it can stck you very easy.
get some mild dirt rd style tread. drop down it to the teens to start and see how the tires "float".
if you leave a V track look out. if a flat track you should be ok.