Driving in Mountains and Hills

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Reaction score
How do members here handler driving steep grades in the mountains??

I will driving through the Black Hills in SD in a few weeks and there will be some roads that have a 6-7% grade.

Do you use Tow/Haul Mode? or just shift into a lower gear?

I will driving through the Black Hills in SD in a few weeks and there will be some roads that have a 6-7% grade.

I dont usually downshift going up grades but definitely do on down grades if its something i would need to use the brakes to maintain a safe speed. Coming back from a mountain sawmill with a 16' flatbed trailer loaded with lumber and slabwood with the Suburban I downshift until Im doing about 25 mph. I still need the brakes a bit, but it doesnt get to the point that if they failed id be in deep kinchee.

I have had brakes that would barely keep me at a safe speed and would overheat and fade, lay off them to cool them, speed goes up to scary level, then back on, trying to keep it from getting away from me. One time in the Mts in Utah the brakes did fail in such a situation and I downshifted (4 speed trans) and ended up running it into a dirt bank to stop.
Living in mountain country, every couple years the news mentions someone in a motor home that lost brakes and wiped it out on a long downgrade, sometimes killing everyone on board. There seems to be a common lack of knowledge or willingness to downshift an automatic transmission to limit speed in downgrades.

I cant tell you how many times Ive smelled seriously overheated brakes on motor homes and rigs pulling trailers coming of a long mountain grade. People should learn more about their rigs like reading their manual, and learn about the basics of mountain driving when driving larger rigs in the mountains. Its not rocket surgery, but a little basic knowledge can be hugely beneficial.

I went with this brake unit because it has no setup, you don't have to flip any switches and it will keep the battery charged on the Toad.

Depends on the Vehicle I am driving. My truck has no issues with that kind of elevation since it drops a gear when going down grades like that. But if i was towing I ideally want the tow vehicle to have its own breaks. If not its a race to the top, and a game of how slow can I go down hill without over revving or overheating the breaks.

I was taught on a manual transmission to go down a hill in the lowest gear I would use to go up it. I do this with automatic transmissions as well. If I see slow moving vehicles or a designated passing lane on the opposite side lanes of the road I downshift and use the brakes to slow or stop til the automatic transmission engages the lower gear. I pay attention to vehicles I pass on the way up for signs of overheating as they are likely to have problems coming down and wait for them to pass at the top cause I don’t want be be in front of a runaway vehicle coming down the other side. Noticing the smell of burning brakes or overheating passing vehicles has saved my life and the person with me as I got out of the way by changing lanes at the bottom of a hill. Coming up I usually downshift and go slower with the AC off to prevent the engine and transmission from overheating. If I see temps still rising I open the windows and turn the heater on high to dissipate even more heat. I’m sure most would go much faster and prefer I would too, but being told you are number one is much better than having an overheated vehicle with no brakes. I usually wave as I pass them on the side of the road later.

Thoughts: When using downshift (manual or auto transmission) there is greater degradation of the transmission fluid; additionally, the brake fluid. Stay on top of both of these systems; but the automatic transmission system in particular with its filter replacement and flush. Off road driving severely impacts engine oil through the air intake, brake and trans fluids. And yet one rarely if ever hears it being discussed on the channels.

Please...describe..: Vehicle Model & Year,

Vehicle Model, year, engine & Tranny..???

2012 Chevy Express RV with a 6.0L Vortex, and 6L90 Transmission, I'll be pulling a car behind me.

I drove big trucks for decades east/west coast to coast. If there's a hill on an interstate I've probably done it weighing 75,000 pounds. In big trucks we used what is called "controlled braking" in the industry. Very simply: start at the top slow, very slow. Then as speed increases a LITTLE bit brake hard (not aggressively as in a panic, perhaps firm is the word) to slow back down. Then GET OFF THE BRAKES. This is the time your brakes cool to save your life. Repeat. Of course this is after you're in a lower gear and all the other fine stuff normally related to downhill travel. There will probably be truck speed limit signs---20-35mph on an 80mph interstate. Follow the truck limits. 25mph roll to 30. Slow back to 25. Repeat. This is a simplified one paragraph explanation of what would be a full day of class studies in a Professional Training School followed with several days of in truck experience with a driver-trainer. But, it's a start in staying alive.

So....(comparing here) I'm on the road with a 1989 Marathon , Ford E-350, 7.5 Liter V8 (460CID), 4sp OD tranny with 3:73 Diff gears. My "dingy"..is a 2010 Wrangler Sport (5,600GVW). On "steep" uphills/downhill roads, I, 1) 4 way flasher "On" every time. 2) Maintain tranny in 2nd gear at an average 25/30 Mph speed, (lower speed on curbs). Minimal Use of "Brakes", (to Avoid overheating)......** I use PROLONG ENGINE TREATMENT also TRANNY Treatment....(keeps Engine Temperatures running 40°F COOLER). I've operated this way for over 116,000 Odo. Miles (Total mileage of my 32 yrs YOUNG.. Motorhome) ** Power Plant (engine) and Transmission still ORIGINAL. Brakes Serviced Only Once.

Attachments

• 20210503_160858.jpg
    20210503_160858.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 3
I dont usually downshift going up grades but definitely do on down grades if its something i would need to use the brakes to maintain a safe speed. Coming back from a mountain sawmill with a 16' flatbed trailer loaded with lumber and slabwood with the Suburban I downshift until Im doing about 25 mph. I still need the brakes a bit, but it doesnt get to the point that if they failed id be in deep kinchee.

I have had brakes that would barely keep me at a safe speed and would overheat and fade, lay off them to cool them, speed goes up to scary level, then back on, trying to keep it from getting away from me. One time in the Mts in Utah the brakes did fail in such a situation and I downshifted (4 speed trans) and ended up running it into a dirt bank to stop.
Living in mountain country, every couple years the news mentions someone in a motor home that lost brakes and wiped it out on a long downgrade, sometimes killing everyone on board. There seems to be a common lack of knowledge or willingness to downshift an automatic transmission to limit speed in downgrades.

I cant tell you how many times Ive smelled seriously overheated brakes on motor homes and rigs pulling trailers coming of a long mountain grade. People should learn more about their rigs like reading their manual, and learn about the basics of mountain driving when driving larger rigs in the mountains. Its not rocket surgery, but a little basic knowledge can be hugely beneficial.
Drove truck all my adult life and the rule thumb is go downhill in the same gear required to go up that hill, so if your automatic or manual transmission would shift down to second gear going up then use second gear going down.

Oh, I like the whole go down in the same gear as you went up rule. That sounds like a helpful reminder! I do not enjoy going down hills as much as I like going up them.

I plan to be at Mt Rushmore on the 4th of July and then stick around long enough to see the Bike Rally.