Does anyone travel with firearms?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scout

Reaction score
I was thinking about what I would do if I traveled to Canada or a state that doesn't have reciprocity and I thought about I could leave it with an FFL in their  safe. I just did that for a week while I was trying to sell my firearm. The downside would be having to go back and get it or paying them to ship it foward to me.
Does anyone else have any ideas on this?

Scout said:
traveled to Canada or a state that doesn't have reciprocity 

from www.americanhunter.org/articles/2013/11/4/taking-your-gun-to-canada/

[font=Adelle, sans-serif]"A Paper Trail
To bring a gun into Canada for hunting, United States citizens have a few options. The first is to declare your guns to a customs officer when you enter Canada by using a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration. In addition, if more than three firearms are being imported, a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Continuation Sheet must be filled out.[/font]

[font=Adelle, sans-serif]To save time, forms can be filled out prior to leaving home. However, be aware, the form should not be signed until you reach the border, as a customs officer must witness the signature.[/font]
[font=Adelle, sans-serif]A flat fee of $25 applies with a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration, no matter how many firearms are on it.[/font]
[font=Adelle, sans-serif]When the declaration is signed and checked by a customs officer, it is valid for 60 days. Renewal is free before the 60 days is reached by calling the Chief Firearms Office (1-800-731-4000) in the province or territory where you are hunting.[/font]
[font=Adelle, sans-serif]Option two is to apply for a five-year Possession and Acquisition License (PAL). To receive a PAL, the applicant must pass the Canadian Firearms Safety Course written and practical tests. Generally, this entails taking a course, but it might be possible to take the tests without the course. After passing the tests, a background check is completed; however, it can take several weeks to receive your PAL card.[/font]
[font=Adelle, sans-serif]The cost of the PAL is a $60 government fee. In addition, there are fees payable to the instructor for the course and test, which can vary.[/font]
[font=Adelle, sans-serif]If the hunter has a PAL, a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration doesn’t need to be filled out, but the firearms must be declared verbally at the border.[/font]
[font=Adelle, sans-serif]The third option is a Temporary Borrowing License. It’s used if the hunter doesn’t want to bring his or her own firearm, but would rather borrow one from an outfitter or Canadian resident with the proper licensing. A Non-Resident Firearms Declaration does not cover borrowing a gun. A borrowing license costs $30.[/font]
[font=Adelle, sans-serif]The recent demise of Canada’s long gun registry made the whole process of owning firearms easier for Canadians. As a result, non-residents with a Canadian firearms license (PAL) are not required to have individual registration certificates for each gun.[/font]
[font=Adelle, sans-serif]The Quebec government, however, challenged the federal government’s ability to destroy the registry data through the courts. While judges sort that out, Quebec residents are still required to register their guns. For non-residents, a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration is both their license and registration certificate.[/font]
[font=Adelle, sans-serif]Ammunition Chronicles
The good news is that unlike the ATF Form 6 Canadians must fill out to hunt in the United States, any of the three permits allows either ammunition purchases or importing limited amounts. Ammunition should still be reported to customs officers."[/font]

[font=Adelle, sans-serif]-----[/font]
[font=Adelle, sans-serif]Personally I have flown with a firearm within the US between two reciprocal states, and followed all the protocol exactly. There is paperwork to do in advance.  During flight the firearm was checked in the cargo part of the plane, in locked luggage in a locked case with the wire gun lock in it -totally unusable. In luggage is usually acceptable but in my case the inspecting officer totally freaked out and I was there for quite a while before his supervisor decided I was not a terrorist, and allowed me to get on the airplane. [/font]
[font=Adelle, sans-serif]I would recommend driving instead of flying, so you don't have to go through all that. Just check the gun laws of the states you plan to visit before going there. ~crofter[/font]

If your plane makes an unanticipated landing and you need to change planes you need to be in compliance with the local laws and regulations.  Just because you didn't want to be there doesn't change the fact that you are there.

I travel with numerous firearms and have since 2010. Been to most states in the process, even the dreaded California. I detail some of the state laws in my posts https://www.van-tramp.com/wp/category/shooting-guns

It is legal to carry guns (in your vehicle) in all 50 states, unloaded and locked up. If you have a CCW you need to look at each states laws and if they recognize yours. Not that hard to do with the Internet.

Canada makes it real eady to carry many long guns thru the country. Not pistols. See my post https://www.van-tramp.com/wp/you-want-to-transport-guns-through-canada-to-alaska/

By the way, you can store your guns in a self storage in any state while you visit Canada or Mexico. No need for an FFL. You reatin legal possesion of your guns so no need for a background check to get them back

Trebor English said:
If your plane makes an unanticipated landing and you need to change planes you need to be in compliance with the local laws and regulations.  Just because you didn't want to be there doesn't change the fact that you are there.

Yet another reason not to fly.  The only good reason to fly anymore is the great view.   ~crofter

John61CT said:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/

Mod edit the above link takes you to the main page of a 4x4 forum. not sure why it's posted here I see nothing about firearms.
Sorry forgot a description.

Those forums are (unlike here) full of members very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about building, using and travelling with weapons.

A bit of a rough crowd, but if you don't challenge their culture, very helpful.

My sidearm's carrying case has a big sticker on it that says you can't cart this gun into California. 

So that's why I never go there.

I don't know all the other states' laws.  I'll have to look into them.  I don't have anything scary nor any big magazines or anything.  I think all my clips are 10 or under.  I'm a safety nut, so when not in use, I have locks on everything.   I don't know about you, but I had to downsize my collection when I started out in the camper.  That was painful.  I just didn't have enough room to keep all of them.  I think I should look at the other state's laws though to make sure I comply.

Scout said:
I was thinking about what I would do if I traveled to Canada or a state that doesn't have reciprocity and I thought about I could leave it with an FFL in their  safe. I just did that for a week while I was trying to sell my firearm. The downside would be having to go back and get it or paying them to ship it foward to me.
Does anyone else have any ideas on this?

Thomas Jefferson said of the gun, don't leave home without it. Good enough for me. He wrote the 2nd Amendment!

wasanah2 said:
My sidearm's carrying case has a big sticker on it that says you can't cart this gun into California. 

Interesting. I do not know of any sidearm guns that are illegal in CA. Only the 11+ rd magazines are.

Is this a discussion on what we are supposed to do or what we actually do. I don't want to say that I don't always follow the rules. But I'm not saying that I do either. Lets just say that you would be hard pressed to find a firearm in my van.

Given how easy it is to dox and surveil online comms, if I were doing anything like that I sure wouldn't be posting about it online.