Dodge Dakota Camper project

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxAggie13

Reaction score
I'm working on a solution to make some sort of camper for my 2008 Dodge Dakota 4-Door. I don't need any amenities other than a bunk and I want to do it on the cheap. I'm also a big guy, 6'3" 260lb. This pickup has a really small bed; I can only just lay diagonally across it. When the tailgate is down, it's 7'2".<div><br></div><div>I'm looking for advice/ideas if anyone has come up with solutions to similar problems, no use re-inventing the wheel.</div><div><br></div><div>I'm currently looking at two things, either a homemade slide in camper or a&nbsp;pre-made&nbsp;shell.</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks,</div><div>Dan</div>

I camped out in my truck bed with shell while I was doing volunteer ski patrol. It was only for a night once every week or two, but it worked pretty well. I build a platform just higher than the wheel wells, so the entire bed of the truck became flat. The space underneath I used to store anything bulky or wet. In the corner to the forward of the wheel well I left a cutout space in the plywood where I kept a sealed electric oil heater. I was fortunate enough to be able to plug into power near where I parked and ran that to keep warm. Was ghetto but it worked.