Do You Think The Govt. Will Eventually Try And Squeeze Out Boondocking Life?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, that article indicates the drones fly out of Sierra Vista, no doubt meaning Ft. Huachaca, which is 20 miles from the border.

And there was a recent report of the gobmint tearing up the land around Organ Pipe NM, which itself has a 30 mile long border with Mexico. When I stayed at Coyote Howls RV park last winter in Ajo, the BP vehicles were tearing up and down the roads like bandits (no pun intended). Depending on how you look at it, there was a really cool scene with Predator drones at the beginning of Bourne Legacy the movie. Enough info, you could become an amateur pilot. Of course, it's "just" a fictional account.

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]The BLM Office of Fire and Aviation is responsible for aircraft operation support for wildfire and resource management missions within the Bureau. BLM’s aviation program is the largest within the Department of Interior’s eight Bureaus. Aircraft are Bureau owned, contracted and are obtained as Call-When-Needed (CWN) or Aircraft Rental Agreement (ARA) to fill the mission requirements to meet BLM management objectives. [/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]Mission requirements are to support wildland fire and prescribed fire operations, disaster response, animal census, wild horse and burro gather, habitat management, range survey, cadastral survey, law enforcement, forest management, photo mapping, search and rescue, and other uses related to public land and resource management. Types of aircraft include helicopters, Single Engine Air Tankers (SEATS), air tactical aircraft, utility aircraft, Aerial Supervision Modules (ASM1), heavy air tankers smokejumper aircraft and large transport aircraft.[/font]

Avaition/Bureau of Land Management

Qxxx,  I sure hope your information is right.   I live in the Wayne National Forest in Ohio and they are using them here
and catching those stealing Walnut trees & other hard wood varieties off the Govt Lands.

I'm sure they're using them in specific critical places, but figure it will be a few years before they are covering all 500,000,000 acres of BLM and NF.

There was a report on NPR this morning about illegal pot farming in NorCal, Shasta-Trinity NF. So far, they've busted 1200 sites and figure there are that many left to find. I imagine they're using drones over there. The really bad thing is, the guys growing pot use herbicides and insecticides to protect their fields, and these are washing into and polluting the streams and rivers.

Hopefully, in this country we are a few years away from the situation in the UK, where they figure everyone is photographed by a gobmint security camera a couple of hundred times a day. If I were doing it, I would deploy my cameras in the cities, where 99%/whatever of the crime is.

"There was a report on NPR this morning about illegal pot farming in NorCal, Shasta-Trinity NF"

well it's nice to see NPR finally catching up on this issue as it's been going on for like 70 years. did they mention the booby traps the growers use to keep people away. these are not nonlethal booby traps. BTW this is not just Northern Cal anymore I have witnessed the feds raiding illegal pot operations in several other areas. in fact a neighboring rancher had an illegal operation right on his property without his knowledge.

keep in mind I have nothing against pot. but I am totally against the illegal growing on public land and the international smuggling.

highdesertranger

please lets not get into a discussion on immigration and the wall. there are plenty of other forums to discuss that. highdesertranger

I've cleaned up this thread and deleted most of the references to the wall, homelessness, and other off topic comments. Please stay on topic. Thanks!

WanderingRose said:
I do think that where large numbers of folks living in vehicles congregate, particularly in cities, there are  more restrictions coming.

And anyplace where privileges are abused, that invites restrictions and limitations.

I think it’s incumbent upon all of we roamers and wanderers, full or part time, to be respectful and aware of how what we do may impact others, and act accordingly.

Indeed privileges are abused sometimes... However, we can really do something about that.  If you stay for free somewhere, it really doesn't hurt to get a pair of gloves and make a hobby to pick up trash/debris in your area.   I mean, what, 5-10 minutes a day get some exercise and do something good for our world.   I know it's not a perfect solution, but it can really go a long way.

Govt. is already shutting down areas due to abuse and trash. It’s too late to undo this process.

Nah, They can track us easy enough. But they may open more national parks to charge entrance and camp fees as the old ones overcrowd. Pick your worries.

Depends on what you mean by the 'govt'.

It's true that when the federal administration changes, sometimes the new one appoints people at the highest level whose agenda is to sell off public lands, or their resources, or contract out their management, or charge more for their use. But Congress has a lot to say about such moves.

I can assure you that the rank-and-file government employees of BLM, USFS, NPS, and various other federal land management agencies are well aware that recreational users are a huge reason why there is still so much public land. Many of them want to work for these agencies because they are outdoor enthusiasts themselves.

State lands are a somewhat different story, policies seem to be more stable even when the state administration changes.

IME, the main reason for closing areas to boondocking is plain old slobbery and/or overuse. Don't be a slob. Another problem that land managers must deal with is competing user groups. Share the road.

If there is a particular forest/park/rangeland that concerns you, sign up for that area's newsletter - most of them maintain a mailing list. Learn about the issues that land managers deal with, and offer thoughtful comments. And volunteer if you can.

I can't say if it is an attempt to get rid of boondockers but in Oregon, two blm rangers let me know that the only people they are allowing are those with physical residences in Oregon. I'm told this is an early warning and be ready to go home as things get worse. o_O  I asked the one ranger if they really expect it to get worse and he said, "Yes, ma'am. We want all Oregonians to be ready to go home, no camping when it happens."  
Eek! I did ask if they realize this will strand many fulltimer folks that sold off everything to be on the road and was told 'they understand that' and it is a matter of 'safety first.' As the second ranger said, "There will be no exceptions."
Double eek!

I would have immediately asked them to see a copy of the law that makes this threat possible. highdesertranger

Morefun said:
I can't say if it is an attempt to get rid of boondockers but in Oregon, two blm rangers let me know that the only people they are allowing are those with physical residences in Oregon. I'm told this is an early warning and be ready to go home as things get worse. o_O  I asked the one ranger if they really expect it to get worse and he said, "Yes, ma'am. We want all Oregonians to be ready to go home, no camping when it happens."  
Eek! I did ask if they realize this will strand many fulltimer folks that sold off everything to be on the road and was told 'they understand that' and it is a matter of 'safety first.' As the second ranger said, "There will be no exceptions."
Double eek!

Yes, the number of covid19 cases in the US is still going up. And there is no known reason for the increase to stop any time soon.

I am not certain that the feds can favor license plates from one state over another, though.

jacqueg said:
I am not certain that the feds can favor license plates from one state over another, though.

I might be wrong but IIRC the emergency powers of the state over rule the fed policy so that when a state declares a 'state of emergency' they have the top say in the matter and can order federal facilities like BLM and NF to close or to order partial closures (like only in state plates allowed). Sensibly it's to stop the travel that helps migrate the Covid-19 virus from one place to another. Yes, you may be an exception in that you haven't been anywhere but the 'state of emergency' orders  are not going to go 'oh you can stay, no the person camped next to you  has to go'.

And just remember that you cannot 'live' on BLM or NF land. You can only camp there. Having no place to go doesn't work because everyone has to have a legal address that is supposed to be where you live.

Morefun said:
I can't say if it is an attempt to get rid of boondockers but in Oregon, two blm rangers let me know that the only people they are allowing are those with physical residences in Oregon.
Just offhand, are you sure those were actually BLM rangers, and not someone from the dozen other agencies? Every area is a checkerboard of cross-authorities.

You might do some online searching in regards whatever area you are currently in. I tried "orgeon national forests re-opening", and did find a link about Deshutes NF that says, as of May 20, "[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All campgrounds on the Deschutes National Forest remain closed. Dispersed camping is still allowed".[/font]
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/deschutes/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD743198

Umpqua also says: "Dispersed camping is still allowed".
https://www.fs.usda.gov/umpqua/

Malheur says: "Forest roads, trails, and general forest lands – including dispersed camping – remain open to the public".
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/malheur/recreation

I found this announcement from BLM, dated May 20 regarding Oregon. There may be something more recent. FWIW, it says:
"Stay close to home. The state is still discouraging non-essential travel; this is not the time to travel long distances to recreate. Be sure to bring enough food, water, sunscreen, etc., for the entire day so you can avoid unnecessary stops".

https://www.blm.gov/press-release/b...ertain-developed-recreation-facilities-oregon