Do you brush your face? Product recommendations? Methods?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XERTYX

Reaction score
So I have a mighty beard. But this thread isnt just a beard thread. Maybe there are exfoliating brushes I dont know about. I know of one that I doubt the fairer gender uses. Or maybe not?

This topic is for facial care relating to brushes specifically. 

I use 2 brushes. 3 actually on my face. After washing my beard it begins to itch. And the hair is as straight as it ever gets. I like to run my fingers thru it when its smooth like this. Often times I'll feel a patch of dandruff on my chin. I try to moisturize my beard with a special conditioner and boar bristle brush from time to time and I have to brush it daily or more often with a shower detangling brush also. The 3rd is a tiny mustache comb I use when trimming my upper lip to keep the hair out of my mouth.

Upper lip.
I use a small fairly fine toothed mustache comb to groom before trimming and as a guide for the sides of my mouth to trim back a bit the long hair on my cheek.

Moisturizer. 
I got asked what I wanted for a holiday gift last year while out shopping and I asked for a Cremo beard grooming kit. It came with a boar bristle brush, a beard and scruff cream, and a coupon for like $10. I dip the corner of the natural bristle brush into the noxema looking cream and work it in and making sure to reach the skin. Which removes some dead skin cells in the process. 

Post shower.
I brush my beard with the plastic hanging shower detangling comb i got at dollar general for around $8 in a 2 pack with a second smaller closer tine detangling comb which i dont use. Then while the beard is wet I use the boar bristle brush to get way in there and scratch all the itchy surfaces to clear away any dandruff.

So what's your routine?

Head and Shoulders shampoo for head and beard. My beard is short. I trim it with a #4 clipper and then retrim when it gets to about an inch or when I get a haircut.. I use an electric trimmer for around my mouth. I shave my neck to my jawbone every shower.

I have no idea what number my trimmer is. My last true haircut was when I was interred in a public housing scenario. It was "free"

I find head and shoulders extremely drying. And it perpetuates the need for exfoliation. 

Just my .02

You need to understand what dandruff actually is...it is a fungus infection, the specific type is "malassezia". Talk to your doctor and get prescription strength medication to clear it up. Quit messing around with over the counter shampoos that are getting you no where in controlling it. It won't take long to get rid of it with the proper strength treatments.

But do be sure to wash your pillows and pillow cases and other bedding and dissinfect all your brushes and combs too so you don't keep reintroducing the fungus back to your skin. You have to treat the hair on your head as well as the hair on your face and gently cleanse inside of your ears as the fungus will also be inside of them. It is a project and takes a few weeks to get it gone but it is no that difficult and well worth the effort.

Also don't go to bed with wet hair, keep your beard dry and your head too. Fungus likes a moist environment and too much moisturizer can be a breeding ground. So basically you are already creating a problem using a lot of beard moisturizers and that is creating a cycle that is feeding the fungus which creates the dead skin cells. So stop doing what you are doing and get the right medication, get rid of the dandruff.

I had never heard that so I googled it. Basically everyone has this yeast on their scalps. I dont have dermatitis just occasional flakes which when exfoliated dont return. I dont see myself ever getting rid of the fungus itself. As it's not running rampant I dont see the danger. I havent even used a dandruff shampoo in probably 3 or 4 years. But that certainly was interesting.