Difficulty Downsizing Belongings in Car

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the seat comes out easy it will go back in easy.  I've done it on several cars in the past and I'm working on the current one now.  When I stop, I push and tilt the driver seat as far forward as it will go.  I also stuff things I don't need up there. I have one of those pocket things hanging from the headrest for alarm, light, toothbrush, glasses, etc.  It is very roomy and comfortable.  I can push my shoes under the driver seat and still have room for slipper feet.

Back to the folding seat. To travel I have pushed the RH front seat forward to insert a 2x6 foot bed through the hatch and across the folded seat.  

The seat is out and safely stored away.  A wooden box fills most of the space where it was.  It still allows the front seat to be used.  A folding extension creates the head of the bed when I push the RH seat forward.  In all, I have created SIX CUBIC FEET OF NEW STORAGE SPACE.

The top has 2 hinged panels on it.  When I push the bedding in the back, I can lift either one for access to the box.  If I lift only the one on the other side I can remove the 12V coffee maker and life saving equipment and use the near side as a table/counter.  I'm thinking of building holders and hangers under the bed panel to hold to utensils and other fun things.  The space under the head extension will probably be used to store jugs of water.

So OP if you could/would make those changes to the seats in a "beater" car, what's stopping you from getting rid of the current car and moving down to an older car or minivan?

As you no doubt know, having everything ram packed like that makes it time consuming and difficult to find things you want.

Not only do you lose the space in your car, you're also using more fuel to carry everything with you.

Whether you're emotionally attached to stuff and feel unable to part with, perhaps consider renting a storage space where you can sort and store everything and still have space in your car.

You may find that the things you'd thought might be useful aren't, and that you don't need them.

Ultimately, only you can decide which of your stuff to let go, and having somewhere to keep it other than your car can help to decide what stays snd what doesn't.

I rented a storage space yesterday and was able to offload about 90% of the items in my car. All of these items were things I never used in the past three months of living in my car.

I now have to decide to get rid of most items. I’m not sure if I’ll throw things away. I thought about donating but I have no one to donate to. Goodwill only accepts clothe, furniture and full electronic sets. Most of the electronics I have is wires/cables and small tech pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are tons of other thrift stores besides Goodwill and don't forget second hand stores they take stuff too. A lot of animal rescues run thrift stores.

The trick is you don't want to keep the pay storage longer than needed. It makes no sense to store 100 bucks worth of shit at a storage unit for a year that costs you 200 bucks. Your figures my vary, LOL.

Highdesertranger

Agreed, I don’t want that storage unit longer than a month. No reason to waste money. It’s merely a stop gap solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk