Difficulty Downsizing Belongings in Car

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
Obviously I’ve brought way to much stuff and I’m having a hard time downsizing.

Not sure if I should list everything I have, but my truck and and back see is packed. There is a few more things I need to get, but it’s so hard to get rid of things.

Who else has dealt with this and what was your thought process or advice for downsizing?

EDIT: here is some pictures of what my car looks like

6d1839782459b98aea0c1c10f6888dba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
832e870b4342e54c4f40fb9ed236b060.jpg

0f5a909a382c7dac7aca1e3dfaf638af.jpg

0dedbcf9258569790f6ee29670e7369f.jpg

6f9f5b4a1a8a7a38052f16f988fcbb05.jpg

Here is a couple things I’m getting rid of. 2 large plastic storage containers and this canopy.

The containers have a few things in them that I’m getting rid of. I’ll use them to downsize a few more items.

28a87ba739489f13c64d3a5e1451d5f9.jpg

Soft sided storage containers(bags) pack a lot better then those plastic bins. Highdesertranger

It’s an almost new car that I’ll end up getting rid of in the future, I can’t tear it apart. If I had a beater I would do that.

You’ve got a lot of dead air space in those plastic storage units.

I take everything I can out of its boxes, like crackers, and once opened put into a ziplock bag, which come in many sizes.

Get rid of any cartons and boxes that you can.

I like things to take up only the space of what’s inside of them.

highdesertranger said:
Soft sided storage containers(bags) pack a lot better then those plastic bins.  Highdesertranger
Agreed! You will cram much more stuff with soft sided. The clear bins are nice for being organized, but in a small space try the large ziplock bags instead of all bins. They come in several sizes. 

I do like bins for the food though, easy to clean and the dinner not lost someplace in the vehicle.

Also, you can roll up your clothes and they will take less space and have less wrinkles.

Don't forget the space you have under the seats and in the spare tire compartment also, just don't forget the stuff is there.
-crofter

Also people with cars frequently use cartop carrier, trunk luggage rack, bike rack, hitch mount carrier, or storage tent setup in camp. 

Do you have a bunk? How are you sleeping?
-crofter

I hope your driver seat is comfortable.

You might be able to get some inspiration from a couple of sources along with this forum. Find a through-hiker forum and read about gow they keep thinks light and small and what they believe is essential and what is luxury. Also look at minimalist forums.

My space is a mansion compared to yours. And yours is a mansion compared to a backpack. And Cammalu's is a mansion compared to mine. It's all relative. Hang in there and take your time.

The beauty of it is that once you have it right, you're kinda automagically an anti-cunsumer. I think about what I am willing to give up to get a new thing and so rarely get a new thing ?

Unbolt the PS seat and stow it in the trunk. Take measurements first to see if it will fit. With it reclined, it looks like it would fit sideways,maybe.

Get a couple of pieces of plywood and build a bunk stretching from rear seat to front PS floor. Prop up where needed.

You would probably need to park on a slope or carry something to raise front wheels so the platform is mostly level when sleeping.

If you're handy you could make something like this:

Sleep platform b.jpg

Attachments

• Sleep platform b.jpg
    Sleep platform b.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the info but it’s an almost brand new car that I plan on trading in the future for something larger. If I had a cheap beater car I would do that though.

I’ve been working on downsizing today. Will be getting rid of two large plastic totes, a medium, a small plastic tote also, plus I’ll be returning the canopy I bought. The green tote is full of stuff I’ll be throwing out and the empty totes I was able to rearrange the items from those into other storage containers.

There is still more work to come. I’m looking into getting a storage container for my roof, and I’ll keep on downsizing.

00d04df08405a1b316cb1b20053bd134.jpg

mdoverl said:
Thanks for the info but it’s an almost brand new car that I plan on trading in the future for something larger. If I had a cheap beater car I would do that though.

It wouldn't have to be permanent. Wrap the seat in a couple of large trash bags. Round off the corners of the plywood and cover the edges so no damage is done to the interior.

If you're comfortable sleeping in the DS seat, I guess it would be a lot of trouble to go to but for most people sleeping well is really important.

If you will be trading fairly soon though, yeah, don't bother.

Good luck with the downsizing.. :thumbsup:

Looks like you’re making good progress.

If you’re getting rid of things that are still useful, maybe consider a Goodwill drop off center for those, where someone else can put them to use.

I don’t know what you’re doing for clothing storage, but those soft packing cubes are great for corralling items without creating a lot of dead space.

I didn’t try and figure it out but when I took out my passenger seat it disabled all my air bags and the dealer said it had to go back. I didn’t want trouble with the insurance company.

LERCA said:
I didn’t try and figure it out but when I took out my passenger seat it disabled all my air bags and the dealer said it had to go back. I didn’t want trouble with the insurance company.

Dealing with insurance is reason enough for me not to modify the car.

It sure gave a lot more room though including a dog bed down low where she was safer. Oh well.

After my house fire where part of what I had paid for was supposed to be $365,000 to redo the inside of the house and got not a penny even with an attorney and the contacting the State Insurance Commissioner I’ve seen the evil of insurance companies. They will do anything not to pay out. I was t-boned and my new car totaled and there are no side air bags. So what’s the point.

My ex-engineer father became a product liability personal injury trial attorney with many insurance company clients (as well as American Honda, Evinrude, Otis, Coca Cola) and they are corrupt as all get out. So I know when they make rules they are never for my safety but yet another way to make money for themselves.

MdOverl,
1. I totally understand your frustration
2. a few people have suggested getting rid of those plastic storage containers. and I completely agree. You will create much more space if you remove things from the original package as much as possible.

3. think ONLY necessities
4. become knowledgeable about camping basics.

it can certainly be done in your car. But you need to stand back, and focus and think about what is actually going on.. If you relax a little, you will find the solutions..

I drove tractor trailer for 13 years, I am not converting a Dodge grand caravan, I am transitioning to this lifestyle most certainly by choice. I am tire of being strapped down with an apartment, or a house. I don't want it.. I would rather be much more free in what I want to do..

But you need to stand back and put everything in perspective. good luck to you