Different option than Reflectix for window coverings?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelaghc

Reaction score
Aluminum-Foil-Bubble-Thermal-Insulated-Box-Liner-Thermal-Disposable-Insulated-Food-Bags-for-Fo...jpgThis may be a weird suggestion but I thought I'd check with the experts here.

Has anyone ever used those silver insulated bags that come with food delivery to make their car window coverings (instead of Reflectix)? I attached a picture of what I'm referring to.

I have friends who get these things almost every week and are always trying to find places to get rid of them. I thought it might be a good hack. 

Comments?

Attachments

• Aluminum-Foil-Bubble-Thermal-Insulated-Box-Liner-Thermal-Disposable-Insulated-Food-Bags-for-Fo...jpg
    Aluminum-Foil-Bubble-Thermal-Insulated-Box-Liner-Thermal-Disposable-Insulated-Food-Bags-for-Fo...jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 65
:D 
These are insulated bags for meal prep services - like Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, and Dinnerly. They send all the ingredients in these bags to keep them cold during delivery.
Then the recipient is left to dispose of an insulated bag - mostly going to landfills.

It seemed like a good reuse resource for making stealth window coverings.

They don't have those delivery services out on BLM land or in small towns.

I'm not asking about getting the food delivery services. Frankly, I don't even subscribe to them.

I'm asking what others think about using those kinds of insulated bags instead of Reflectix for making interior window coverings - the ones vanlifers make for insulation and stealth.

They would absolutely work to answer your question. Not to mention your not buying a roll to get the job done.

Sew them together. Easy peasy.

There is a fabric you can buy called insulbrite. It’s shiny on one side with a bit of insulation on the other. Don’t see why you can’t use those bags in the same way.

Here are some ideas.

https://www.pinterest.com/oncrosslake/sewing-insul-bright/

If you don’t want them save them for me! I’ll make something!

I use the $1 store foam boards, they are roughly 20" x 26" if I remember. About 1/4" thick and either black/black (flat) or B&W.

They cut with the cheapest razor knife/box cutter and can be "pushed" into the window channel. Reinforced with clear packing tape (cheap) on the edges. The back hatch took 3 of them cause' it's wide. Just tape them together on both sides.

Cost $9 (9 pieces) to do all of the windows but not windshield. Easily replced, as long as you are accurate it does the job of blacking out very nicely. You can even cut an opening hinged on 1 side (3 sides cut) as a "flap" to peek out with.

The thing I'm wondering about is whether it is best to use Reflectix if I'm going to use black cloth on both sides. (The back hatch window is not symmetrical and so the covering can't be dual purpose.) Is Reflectix still the best material to use if the purpose is stealth/privacy/warmth?

Reflectix does not have any substantial amount of R value. It reflects heat from a source of heat. If you are sleeping in an unheated van at night it won't do you much good up on the windows other than keeping people from looking inside. First you need to figure out your goals, what you are looking to gain from t he window coverings, then choose the materials that can best achieve your goals.

That's what I was thinking. I can use Reflectix on the side windows (which can be reversible), but it doesn't make sense for the back hatch. The other two options I'm aware of are coroplast and Insul-bright. Thoughts?

I'm currently using this insulation from US Energy Products to make window covers for my truck:

https://www.usenergyproducts.com/collections/super-shield-reflective-foam-core-insulation-1
It's flexible, but more rigid than Reflectix, basically ¼" foam with a reflective side . I may still add some boning, which I already have on hand from a sewing project, to provide additional stiffening to the cutout for the larger rear window piece. Also, I'll find a way to "darken" the white side so I can use them as a privacy barrier when sleeping in the truck.

I'm planning to store them in a ceiling-mounted cargo net to keep them out of the way of other cargo and prevent damage.

I covered the glass in my windows with inch-thick blue-foam boards from the hardware store ( the kind made to insulate walls). The problem is, those big "DOW" words on the side of the boards didn't wash off, so I covered the interior-facing side of each foam board with white shelving paper. That didn't work either because light still shined through, and you could still read the "DOW" statements even in the dark. So then I painted the inner side of each board black to make the black words disappear, and then covered each foam board again with white over the black. That worked great; no more light shining through, and no more printed words visible either.

But the foam boards started to expand, shrink, and warp according to changes in the weather, causing them to fall out of the windows. I've seen how people solve that problem with magnets around the edge of the window covers, so I bought twenty magnets. But that didn't work either because all metal around the windows in my 1998 Chevy Express 3500 high-top van is non-magnetic!

So I got velcro patches with sticky on the back and stuck it to glass and foam board; which worked great at first, until the heat from the sun on a hot summer day heated the velcro sticky on the dark-tinted glass so hot the sticky turned into crust and powder! (Down to the floor my window covers went sailing again.)

Finally, I drilled a sheet-meta screw into the metal above and below each window glass, then stretched a bungee cord from the top screw to the bottom screw on each window to hold my covers in place. But the bungee chords were not tight against the foam boars, letting them fall back a little from the glass, allowing inside air to flow over the glass, defeating the effect of the insulation. So then I cut one-inch-square blocks of wood, putting one block behind the center of each bungee chord, which presses the foam-board covers firmly against the glass. THIS WORKS! No more problem. Very secure with no chance of them falling off again.

But I felt a little sad, thinking the red bungee chords over wood blocks on each window would look messy, cheezy, and unfinished, but they don't! They look great and so unique! The fact that each window, left/right/rear, has the same chord/block style on it makes them look like a consistent and really cool design. I like it. :giggle:

Last edited: