decisions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob Dickerson said:
Glynnis,where are you located?I have a 7x12 trailer that used to be a camper.If you are interested,I can make it into a camper again.Im not using it and it's just sitting.Let me know if you are interested.As far as money,we could work something out.It depresses me to see people go out when they are not prepared.It also depresses me to see people have to put their dreams on hold.Let me know if you are interested.I'm in N.Arkansas.

Bob that is such a generous offer!  
I don't really think of it as putting my dreams on hold just doing what it takes to make them come true :shy:  Before I found this site I was fearful of what my future held but now I believe that it holds many years of joy.  I believe my higher power will guide me to where I need to go and right now I think it is where I am.  I need to learn some more lessons before I get on the road, one of them is how to get my finances in proper order.  I have a plan and I will work at putting it in to practice.  In the meantime I will think about your offer and if things are meant to be I will be in touch.  By the way my wife and are in northwest fl and I camp in the Blackwater River State Forest (a beautiful place).  You can look it up at this address 
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Div...s/State-Forests/Blackwater-River-State-Forest
We also have some of the most beautiful beaches on the Gulf Coast
https://www.nps.gov/guis/index.htm
And last but not least we have Pensacon
http://pensacon.com/

Glynnis,I know where Blackwater is.Me and Vic have camped a few times in that area.I don't have much going on,have a couple of trees to cut for my next winter's firewood.I like it to season for a year or so.Then,I've got to paint the house trim and that's about it.A couple of days work,total.Then I think I will go ahead and remake it back into a camper.Somebody,somewhere could probably use it.Maybe I'll just donate it to the Salvation Army.Although I hate the thought of someone having to endure a sermon to get it.Anyway,Good Luck to you and your wife.

Bob Dickerson said:
Glynnis,I know where Blackwater is.Me and Vic have camped a few times in that area.I don't have much going on,have a couple of trees to cut for my next winter's firewood.I like it to season for a year or so.Then,I've got to paint the house trim and that's about it.A couple of days work,total.Then I think I will go ahead and remake it back into a camper.Somebody,somewhere could probably use it.Maybe I'll just donate it to the Salvation Army.Although I hate the thought of someone having to endure a sermon to get it.Anyway,Good Luck to you and your wife.
well if you find yourself heading in my direction drop me a line :shy:

DannyB1954 said:
I am not a full timer, so justifying spending thousands of dollars on solar to run things like a microwave or air conditioner seems a waste. On a van eventually you run out of space for solar panels. You also have to park in the sun. Eventually I may go there, but for now it will be a generator. My idea was to use a very small generator to charge a bank of batteries.

A small generator can run most of the day on a gallon, so if it cost me $2 a day for all the electricity that I want, no big deal.  If I am not using a lot of electricity, I may be able to top off the batteries in an hour. That would cost less than 50 cents. All my heavy loads would come out of the batteries and inverter. Large items usually don't run continuous. If you have insulation even an air conditioner will cycle off. when it does, the small generator will put the energy back into the battery that was used when the compressor ran.

UH ~~~  not possible.  

This is a quote from a post by Stearnwake.  Our resident battery expert.

it takes 3.5 to 4 hours to take a healthy battery from 80 to a true 100% charged, no matter what the charging source is.

I think that depends on how long the battery was kept at 80%, and how much your charge rate is. I lived on boats for many years. Nobody that I knew ran a generator for three hours to charge their batteries. I am not highly affected by what experts say. There is usually a point of diminishing returns. You could spend every waking moment serving your batteries and get a year more out of them.

That  is why I have solar and alternator charging.  The solar keeps them up, and every so often I will give them a boost while driving long distances. 

Why kill a 10 year sealed AGM battery in two years?