Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
Nomadic_Mario1.jpgHi, I'm a 50 yr old single 5'6 "Aries male who, from what I read, am considered a "vandweller?" I don't own an acre or even half but a tiny house in a tiny town where it's dreadfully lonely but property is fully paid for and recently (forced) to move in full time after living months in my pick up (no camper) and boondocking in the coasts of San Diego. I consider myself an outcast where not even "Jesus" wants me around, I even wrote a song about that! Yes, I am a musician with tons of equipment with no one to play with, a female would be nice to know and travel with. I'm not retired or well off but have an income and its not much and able to travel anywhere,  any day and any time. I was forced to return home because 1-the renter abandoned the house and 2-after attempting to live in the back of my pick up for months trying to save up for an overhead camper, Van, or small RV, I could no longer tolerate the tiny bed of my short bed truck. However, after returning home I realized its the best thing to do until I can figure out what to buy or do with this house plus not being forced with one medical plan and then paying medical premiums penalties for going to another state. I am keeping the house and renting it out once I decide what to buy and travel for long periods of time. I'm also a SCUBA diver, love walks, cruising on beachcruiser or mountain bike and just about anything you can imagine of activities I'm all for it plus, I consider myself a fantastic cook. My goal at the moment is to figure out what to buy so I can travel from Colorado (where I'm at now) towards the Southern states and visit food stands till I can get to Florida, stay for a month or so and go SCUBA diving then return to wherever my heart desires and always having the option of returning home but then I'm sure i'd want to leave and go for months towards California, Mexico, Washington, Oregon, and the sky is the limit! I have a limited income and I have had a stable undetectable HIV for over 20yrs. The one main problem with it is I get very tired often but I have found boondocking and living on the read to be very exciting and extremely positive for my mental (I'm not bi-polar or super nuts) just lonely and fear no one will love me because I have HIV). And if your not familiar with HIV viral load. Not sure what all that means? Look it up, HIV is not a death threat nor are you going to catch it from my cup! Duh! Eitherway, its ruined my life because of fear of rejection and meeting a long term companion. I've realized I need a bigger home on the road where I can wake up to make my espresso when I wake up, use a toilet comfortable, and shower, all in my vehicle. I have many future plans to list here but thank you for reading this and much thanks to "Bob" on U Tube for his videos and the reasons why many of us are on U Tube or living the nomadic life on the road, he's absolutely right! Bye.

Attachments

• Nomadic_Mario1.jpg
    Nomadic_Mario1.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 9
Welcome to the CRVL forums Mario! Good luck with all of the decisions! Hope you can get back on the road soon. :)

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi Mario, welcome aboard! This has been such a great place to get valuable advice and support. Good Luck!

Hi Mario! I know what you mean. I slept not on my bed truck, but inside the cab for many months, and it got to be very uncomfortable after a while, because it’s a midsize ?.  Fortunately, I will soon get a top.  I think there’s a lot of people educated about HIV, but there are also those who are still ignorant and prejudiced about it. You sound like a nice guy,someone nice to talk to around the campfire. ?

Welcome to the forum!

I rolled out of Colorado yesterday, I am so glad to be out of the cold. On the HIV issue, I have known and lost many friends to it since the early 80's. All you can do is be upfront about it and while some will still need to be educated, you will find those that know better.

I decided a couple of years ago that I needed an RV ... for the same reasons you just listed

I took a fair amount of time and learned everything I could about how they are built. What I learned is that RVs are built with the cheapest material, the lousiest workmanship (shouldn't even use that word). Unless you are paying above $150,000.

So...it was clear I would totally gut and build new for myself. I set about to buy an RV that was totally trashed. I wasn't going to pay for anything I knew I was just going to rip out.

Many people here have done something simular.

Consider buying an RV with good mechanical (no guarantees there) and build yourself. Take all the time you need. It will cure your loneliness too...keeping you busy and planning. Working toward that goal. You end up with far better than u could buy, and knowing every inch in detail!

Most important. Keeping moving forward to your goal. The people here has a vast depth of knowledge to help you along.

Welcome aboard

RollingOm said:
Hi Mario! I know what you mean. I slept not on my bed truck, but inside the cab for many months, and it got to be very uncomfortable after a while, because it’s a midsize ?.  Fortunately, I will soon get a top.  I think there’s a lot of people educated about HIV, but there are also those who are still ignorant and prejudiced about it. You sound like a nice guy,someone nice to talk to around the campfire. ?

Hi RollingOm, 
My truck is a Nissan Frontier and the bed is 5ff by almost another 5ft, I'm 5'6". I'm sorry for the misunderstanding on my last post, I ran out of editing limits the day I posted my intro and will make sure I proofread my msgs again. I DID have a much much better time sleeping in the front seat and had to go stealth in the evenings to sleep. I used black cardboard from the 99cent stores and cut out/traced the window and they fitted perfectly inside flushed on the window, total stealth and was so comfortable I slept naked. I had a few things with me and found an topper shell but soon found out after weeks of sleeping in the bed I was not able to to stretch very well or even go to the bathroom. Plus, mornings where terrible because it was cold and then very soon very hot! I had to sneak out carefully to be seen, did not like that much. I switched back to the front seat and made a BIG difference but by then the tenant in Colorado (I was in San Diego coasts) had abandoned my house and had to run back to my house to tend to it. I the realized that as much as I hate to live where I'm at I have found comfort of some security HOWEVER.... I AM GOING NUTS AGAIN! I miss the freedom and going anywhere anytime and what I need is a much bigger truck bed (full size, 8ft would be ideal) and hopefully with an overhead camper or a trailer but have been seeing the used trucks to be expensive and not sure if I want to pay 5yrs a 300+$$$ bill for a used truck and then still have to buy an overhead camper. If I had a significant other and went in on it I's say hell  yeah lets get a 2500 Hemi 4x4 with a super light overhead camper and lets get the hell out of town. I'm now considering a small 20-24 trailer and pay cash, I've seen them very cheap. I'm also coming to realize that my music is not going to very much happen and so I have some very expensive equipment I might sell to buy the trailer. An RV is not very good for me because it be another engine and can only own one vehicle due to my income. A trailer or overhead camper would keep me in the "safe" side to protect my income. My truck has close to 240K miles and I'd rather invest in keeping it up more than ever until it completely becomes an excessive burden, such as the engine is shot. As far as me being nice around a campfire, I'd be extremely nervous with many strangers but do yearn the comfort of having meaning ful conversations with other people and are, race, gender or LGBT is not an issue for me. I'm a very very isolated person and really do consider myself an outcast though I don't want to be one or feel like one. And thank you for the compliment. I do consider myself a good (silly/funny at times)person if one gets to know me but hate being mocked maliciously. I  consider myself like Neil Young's song "On The Beach" Live 1974 with CSN. "I need a crowd of people (friends) but I can't face them day to day." Its also a blast to jam to it on my electric doing lead guitar. Improvising, that is! Awesome. Can totally relate to that song. I've hauled a longer U Haul double axle heavily loaded 2 times from Colorado to California. This is a small one returning to Colorado, recently.

Attachments

• received_420418675015410.jpeg
    received_420418675015410.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 4
jimindenver said:
Welcome to the forum!

I rolled out of Colorado yesterday, I am so glad to be out of the cold. On the HIV issue, I have known and lost many friends to it since the early 80's. All you can do is be upfront about it and while some will still need to be educated, you will find those that know better.

Hi Jimindenver, 

Its been surprisingly warm these few weeks here but night time is cold 30-40 at night. I'm near the Swink/La Junta/Rock Ford area and you may know its absolutely dead in these areas? I'm missing the road though, not because its dead here but I genuinely miss the freedom of the road and doing and going wherever I want when I want, where the hell do you go in my area of Colorado? Nowhere! I've never had the any friends die on me and if they did I would not of known, I lived in for 20yrs in a whole different world which I one day hope to talk about but I have seen numerous documentaries of early or those who have not survived the HIV issue, I'm sorry you had to experience that with your friends. You'll see em one day again.

VanKitten said:
I decided a couple of years ago that I needed an RV ... for the same reasons you just listed

I took a fair amount of time and learned everything I could about how they are built.    What I learned is that RVs are built with the cheapest material, the lousiest workmanship (shouldn't even use that word).   Unless you are paying above $150,000.  

So...it was clear I would totally gut and build new for myself.    I set about to buy an RV that was totally trashed.   I wasn't going to pay for anything I knew I was just going to rip out.  

Many people here have done something simular.    

Consider buying an RV with good mechanical (no guarantees there) and build yourself.   Take all the time you need.    It will cure your loneliness too...keeping you busy and planning.   Working toward that goal.    You end up with far better than u could buy, and knowing every inch in detail!

Most important.  Keeping moving forward to your goal.   The people here has a vast depth of knowledge to help you along.  

Welcome aboard
Roaming cat? Cute profile name! I lost my cat 3yrs ago after 17yrs. "Ms. Mumsees" was her name. She had quite a personality thats for sure, and I miss her as much as I do my already gone both parents. 

I thought about the RV but I can only have one vehicle so  I can stay in the financial "safe zone." I'm narrowing it down to a small trailer or go for a 5yr payment on a new but used truck and not sure yet if I'm ready to spent 5yrs on payments of 300+ a month! I am looking at possibly renting my entire house once I fix it up and make a deal with roommate tenant and be able to return home once in a while after weeks or month/s long trips. Saving money is now becoming a very high priority also because I do NOT plan to just sit here in my comfy house all year long like the tons of people here already do, don't know how or why they do it! I've been back for about 2 months and I already want to run out to the beach but I can't just leave my house again and have some other tenant just abandon it and the rent again! I'm hoping to get a roommate and negotiate something.