Dealing with flat tires

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, EVERYONE, for your thoughtful and timely responses! I will now buy a 2-volt compressor this week to carry along for sure! I don't plan on traveling too far off the main roads, so it's good to know I could crawl my car near a main road to get AAA assistance. I agree that having that compressor will be very helpful at times! Happy travels!

Buds covered it all ...Just remember you can do this it's not rocket science, I love my Harbor Freight 12 volt portable air

Well...I have changed tires on cars, even the old van I once had. But 5 ton class C? Dualie.

I saw the size of the jack the garage had to use...cannot even begin to image I or anyone else actually carries one of those.

I have a spare underneath, but going I have to count of Goodsams for a tow to get it done.

Meanwhile...I will keep a sharp eye on the condition of those tires. And carry a 12v compressor

a jack doesn't have to be huge to lift 10 tons. a good bottle jack will do it with ease. highdesertranger

yeah and its just a few more lugs and the air lines on the rear for the inner tire

Learn to change your tires, period.

Not optional as a life skill IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Running duals, i carry a 12vdc air compressor, plug kit, bottle jack, an old rug to through down and a Cheater Wench. Running duals off road can be problematic. They load up with mud easily. Its not uncommon to get rocks stuck between the duals damaging the sidewalls.

Are your nuts tight?
[video=youtube]

Oh crap, yet another great tool! I have a specialized one for air cooled VW hub and flywheel nuts that is pretty heavy. I originally thought about buying a Snap-On tool truck and throwing in a mattress, probably should have!

Torque multiplier

torque multiplier low.jpg

-- Spiff

Attachments

• torque multiplier low.jpg
    torque multiplier low.jpg
    219.5 KB
We went on vacation in a VW bus and the starter started needing to be smacked with a hammer while holding the key in start. My 6 year old son was the only one of us that was small enough to crawl under the bus loaded. We got lots of looks at every fuel stop!

For OP, to actually change the tire you need to acquire, learn how to use & carry a 3-ton jack, 2 jack stands, 4-way lug wrench plus solid rubber wheel chocks. Don't stress the space/weight this equipment takes up, as one out-of-pocket tow or injury because you didn't have the right tools/equipment for the job will erase all savings you thought you had.

to get your lugs off just position the lug wrench where you can use your legs

never put a donut spare on the front