DC Voltage Question for Recharging Batteries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ikigai

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am planning on powering everything off DC since I really don't have use for AC that isn't used to recharge a battery.  Currently the only thing that I'm having a hard time with are my laptop and rechargeable blender.  The laptop is rated 19V 3.42A and the blender is 24V 1.5A.  The battery I was planning on is 12V.  Do I need two of these batteries in series in order to charge these items or is there a way to charge them off the 12V battery?  Either way how do I connect them to the system: the laptop can be charged via usb cable (or I could buy the car charger) and the blender has a typical wall wart?  I may also want to recharge "normal" batteries (i.e. AA, C, etc).

Thanks for your help!

a dc to dc boost converter will do it. It will take your 12 volts and boost it up to 19 or 24 volts easily. Just make sure you have a small fan blowing on it while in use.

If you need to charge devices less then 12 volts you need a buck converter.

And to charger other devices that are 12 volts, you will need a boost/buck converter. Thats the only way you will be able to get max amps from 12 volt to 12 volt. The boost converter will raise the voltage to 18 volts, then the buck converter will drop it back to 12 volts and maintain full amps.

I been using this 400 boost converter with good results cost about 10 dollars, these are cc/cv so it can be used as a battery charger or power supply.
1 400 watt boost.jpg

Attachments

• 1 400 watt boost.jpg
    1 400 watt boost.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1
This is the easy answer:

You can buy a car charger for the laptop, and small inverter (50-100 watt) for the blender charger...or just buy a single small capacity (150-300watt) pure sine wave inverter.

You can plug in the laptop 120v charger and the blender charger into the PSW inverter. 

If you still want to stay DC only then refer back to the first sentence.

Second vote for the 12VDC car charger for the laptop.

Not expensive, unless it's an Apple branded product.
Most are 19V, with only the plug to the laptop making a difference.

Saves having to assemble the booster and the cabling yourself.

Good to know i have options. I'm big into photography so I'm not sure of just the car charger will work, but it may. The keep it simple principle! The blender can definitely be recharged on trips to town, that lasts a few weeks on a charge. Thanks for the suggestions!

I know some people who have CPAP machines. You can get a 12 to 24 volt converter for them. The generic boost converter isn't nearly as expensive.

I run my CPAP off go 12v, I have a 12v socket mounted above my bed, I don't use the heater part just the air pump part. Also I have a car charger got my MacBook Pro as well.

You can get a small car charger/inverters for $15-$20 that work great for what you are talking about.

Simply buy a 12 volt to 19 volt laptop charging cord. It works well for me.

I wouldn't leave home without at least two batteries.