Curious

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which is the best way to change your life?

• work til all your bills are paid , let everyone know what you are planning?

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Do it , try to pay your bills on the road, only tell close family and friends if you have any?

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Say F@#$ It , just leave, screw the bills, dont tell anyone, and hope for the best?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garrettwolf

Reaction score
Hello and good afternoon, 

without going into too much detail about my situation. 

I am curious if anyone on here has just up and left, no plan, no idea how to survive? 

left everyone and everything behind? ( Family, Friends, Job, Bills )  just said F@#$ it? 

Not that i'm thinking of doing such a thing.  :s :dodgy: :rolleyes:

Did it work out for you?  would you have done anything different ? 

Thank you,

Wolf, 

P.S.

quick answers would be greatly appreciated.

I made a commitment when I created my debt, so felt honor bound to make my best effort to meet those obligations. Made a plan, worked towards it, and once it was done let people know what the next step was... and went. My friends and family are used to it though, I (we) leave often for long rambles.

I ran away from home and left everything I owned Because I was certifiably crazy at the time. It took me 5 years to get my shit together. I was homeless for 3 of those years. I did have a monthly income and managed to pay my bills and weaned myself off the poison doctors were prescribing.

It's not the route I would take if I were sane and able to see I had options

I don't have a lot of debt, but I do want to have my home ready before I take off (the conversion, that is), so I will work another year at least to make sure it's all ready to go. I also have to deal with doctor's visits for awhile. I have only told close family and friends so far, and they are all supportive! I will probably have a youtube channel, because I'm vain like that, yet I'm hiding out from a faction of my past for now and don't want "everyone" to know (meaning I haven't announced it on social media). In my long, long years on this planet, I've found that you can't really hide for long!

Have not done it, but have occasionally dreamed of it; .... usually a brief dream followed quickly by my unwillingness to burden others with my debts & obligations (possessions & most people I have no such guilty feelings about leaving behind)

Coping skills GarretWolf! Mine are...well nm that lol, mantras work for me if a beer isn't close at hand. Just remember to breathe and relax. Try not to burn to many bridges(none would be better). Best of luck to you!

When I go to pursue life on the road I want to go "whole" owing no one and not having to care what anyone thinks about it. 

What will I have in place.  I belong to a couple of Fraternal Lodges which are located about everywhere in the USA....so I can visit any of them.  So I'll have some affiliation network anywhere I go.  I'll be able to get information from those who live in that area.

I'll use my portal (bottom link below)  

I can understand those who throw their cares to the wind and just leave.....if they are in an area where there
is no hope of work where they can retire their debts.  (but don't think that those you owe won't come after you
and track you down).    So try to make arrangements with someone where you can send money back to pay on those debts as soon as you find work.   I know it isn't the best way but if creditors realize you have gone afield to find work and are trying to retire debts they will conclude that it is better than not getting paid at all.

If you are going to do this you may want to seek the counsel of a family lawyer first.  Then debt counseling.
But with computers as they are now days....you can run but you can't hide.

Pretty much what I did but I didn't have any strings attached to make it complicated.

Garrettwolf said:
Forgive me for my rant, My midlife crisis is showing.

No reason to apologize, we all deal with it now and then.

I should have mentioned that I'd lived in and out of a van when I was younger. I had every intention of returning to a mobile life when my son was raised. I always had a plan.

Garrettwolf said:
Hello and good afternoon, 

without going into too much detail about my situation. 

I am curious if anyone on here has just up and left, no plan, no idea how to survive? 

left everyone and everything behind? ( Family, Friends, Job, Bills )  just said F@#$ it? 

Not that i'm thinking of doing such a thing.  :s :dodgy: :rolleyes:

Did it work out for you?  would you have done anything different ? 

Thank you,

Wolf, 

P.S.

quick answers would be greatly appreciated.

My grandfather did that in the 30's.  Left 3 kids and his wife.   It completely screwed up my fathers head.  

Honor your family commitments. 

I did what I had to do to take care of my family. 

Now I can hit the road and sleep well.

I pretty much did that in 1969 the day I turned 18 and felt I couldn't stand much more where I was not making any progress trying to "fix" things. I enlisted in the service. My dad who didn't see eye to eye with me shook my hand and told me he was proud of me, I knew right there and then I had really screwed up. If your ready to give up enlisting is still a good way to go cause you find out real quick all you really had to lose.