Cruse controle issues

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotSmart

Reaction score
My cruse control has stopped working on my 91 B250 Dodge.  

In reading other threads, this seems to be not uncommon.

I have checked all the usual posibilities.  Fuses are good, all lights are working, Vaccuum hoses are in perfect shape.

Does ayone have a fix or suggestion on where to look next?

From reading others it could be your speed sensor. Cruise has to know what speed you are at to know what to maintain. Review that component. Mention this because of others who had a speedometer sensor cable that was bad. My SWAG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a shop manual. Check the voltage at the device. My 1987 is different from yours, but that is how I found the problem.

See if the brake lights are on without pressing on the pedal. Sometimes the spring return for the pedal or the switch itself goes bad and the brake lights stay on. If this happens, the cruise control thinks you are trying to stop and shuts down the cruse control.

Thanks for the input. Places to work from. 

Goshawk; Since there is an occasional glitch in the spedomiter, this could be a high possibility.  S W A G. scientific wild-ass guess~~~I love it.  

ccbreeder.  In googeling the srvice manual, I came accross this link to a free online source.  As soon as it is warm and dry enough to work on it, I have a starting point and guide. (I even understand most of it!) This covers a lot of Dodge vehicles, so people, save this resource!  

http://workshop-manuals.com/dodge/

DannyB;  The lights are all working normaly.  That is the first thing I checked.

I would also check the VSS.

My 89 dodge's is inline on the speedo cable and hangs below the brake booster.

It used to have issues with water intrusion on the connector.

Later on, the magnetic reed switch inside, would get stuck, and I would have no overdrive. So I'd stop, open hood, give it a few flicks with my finger, and then OD would be operable again. Waving a strong magnet near it would unstick the reed switch too.

When i got sick of the halfassed approach I putrchased a new VSS and all is well.

I do not use my cruise control much and do not know it it was inoperable during these reed switch episodes.

There is a 4 wire connector to my cruise control servo that was seriously degraded. I replaced that some years ago using a molex connector from a computer fan. I sealed the ends with clear RTV before splicing it in to make it more weatherproof.

Aways suspect the electrical connections first, and do not assume the presence of dielectric grease means the contacts within are oxidation free and making good contact. I recommend flushing old Dielectric grease with a cheap electronics cleaner and some mechanical abrading, then Using DeOxit d5 on the conductive mating surfaces. Mini swabs and bottle brushes and a strong light can reveal very oxidized contacts. When I saw how effective the Deoxit was i went a bit Nutty on every single connector I could find open and clean.

My 02 sensor and TPS sensor were especially dirty, and after I did all my engine sensor contacts it felt like I removed 500Lbs of weight from thre van.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-D...UTF8&qid=1485455636&sr=8-1&keywords=Deoxit+d5

https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Craft...&sr=8-4-fkmr0&keywords=tamiya+precision+swabs

https://www.amazon.com/DenTek-Profe...485455690&sr=8-2&keywords=dentek+brushes&th=1

The amount of oxidation that comes off otherwise perfect looking socket pin conductive surfaces blew my mind.

IMG_3407copy_zpscce4e9a2.jpg

The pic above is one of my engine computer connectors after cleaning it with CRC qed cleaner. I foolishly declared it pristine. Later on, when I used the precision swabs with Deoxit D5, well about 6 swabs turned black and got shredded as if I was using a black sharpie on them, then scraping them on 220 grit sandpaper. By the end the of my cleaning the swabs were staying pinkish from the d5, and the contacts gleamed like polished chrome.

The Deoxit products are amazing in my opinion. Use it regularly on one's Phone usb connections and they reseat with that click one forgot used to exist, and the battery seems to recharge faster too.