Creating Willow

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandelion_Puff

Reaction score
So, I took the ultimate plunge and bought a van yesterday. I had two real motivations. The first is that if almost-husband and I don’t get out of my parents' house soon I’m going to commit murder-arson-suicide. The perfect pre-built RV refused to magically appear at a price I could remotely afford, and wasn’t looking likely to happen anytime soon. So the van conversion is the quickest way to mobile living. The second is that I ADORE Ford E-series vans. I learned to drive in my mom’s 1993 Ford E-150 Club Wagon, and when she stupidly sold it I swore to myself I would someday have my very own big fat Ford van. Took eleven years, but there she sits, bigger and fatter than I imagined and scaring the neighbor kids by being THE white van (I about died laughing when I heard the oldest shouting “Don’t stand by that white van! Don’t you know how dangerous those things are?!” to the others)

Anyway, she’s a 2002 Ford E-250, high mileage but always used for commercial purposes and perfectly maintained. I’ve literally never driven anything with an engine and transmission that worked together quite as perfectly, including brand new rental cars. Her name is Willow, chosen for the massive amount of folklore around willow trees and how they’ve long represented healing, flexibility, and magic, all things I’d quite like to imbue my van with.

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

Yeah, she won’t be winning any beauty contests. But that’s okay. I wouldn’t want Careliana (my 1977 Cadillac Coupe Deville) to get too jealous.

I’m afraid this build thread will be disappointingly simple compared to many on here. I have neither the skills nor the desire for much of the fancier stuff many others here have done. No carpentry, no cutting holes for vents (I’m switching out for windows that open instead), no insulating and making the interior look “finished”. Thankfully she already has brand new carpet in back and some bolted-in shelving I intend to keep.

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

Yeah, still not winning that beauty contest. But you might be very surprised in a few weeks.

I’ve actually spent most of today flailing about where to START, though. I know pretty much exactly what I want in every way except how to do the electrical (which you guys are going to have to help me with, but I’ll put the details over in the right subforum). So I’m going to go order the custom-sized foam mattress that matches her measurements and see if I can get some concrete guidance on electrical stuff.

Wlow is just one fine looking vehicle, congrats!!

I'm a big Ford E-series fan too, so I'll enjoy watching what you do to her.

Yay!!! Way to leap! I know I'll be going function first, beauty (my style of beauty) second!! Enjoy the feeling!

Congrats on the roomy van and resurrecting good childhood memories as a bonus. We'll be looking for pics as you build, of course.

Thanks for all the positive comments, guys. I've actually made a ton of progress on the build already--obviously from the aspect of planning, as even I can't work this fast, plus we're having a snowstorm, lol.

I don't know if it was clear in the first post, but this will be a build for full-timing. The thing that's perhaps really different is that Willow herself won't be the entire set-up. Obviously the Cadillac was always going to be coming along, but earlier my mom suggested that pulling a small pop-up camper behind Willow would solve every single issue I was having with the design. It would let my sister come along, have room for visitors, have cooking and propane storage facilities, and most importantly proper work space for my business. I can store my business stuff in the Cadillac, but that doesn't give real work space.

While I'm not completely crazy about dragging around a trailer, it will allow me to build out Willow EXACTLY the way I wanted, as a bedroom and lounge with a toilet which can be self-sufficient for a day or two in remote locations, instead of desperately trying to make her be everything to everyone. At least she's already totally outfitted for towing.

I really am going to end up with a rag-tag gypsy caravan, but that'll be a good match to the decor I'm planning for Willow, lol. And you definitely don't need to worry about a lack of pictures. There will probably be more pictures than anyone wants.