Cranky Old Fart-ina getting ready to Van-ish

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhawktx

Reaction score
Hello All!

I've been a stealth rebel all my life, i.e. my exterior is of a fairly normal, middle-of-the-road, middle aged single woman. Inside, however, is a creative, artistic individual who just can't live by other's rules, regs, and expectations, can't EVEN understand what makes sheeple tick, and is finding it harder and harder to deal with the economy, a downsized income, and traditional domiciles. 

For over a year most of my possessions have been in storage and I've gone from wistfully reading about Tiny Homes to realizing I really want - MOBILITY! After quite a bit of reading up and watching videos from Vanlivers and Boondockers, I can see that I need to start small and upgrade as I save enough money. I'm in the process of identifying my first vehicle, which will most likely be an Econoline or Ram cargo van (ex-company vehicle). I'm not afraid of making my own mods and I detest just about every 'normal' RV or Camper floorplan I've seen. Eventually I'd like something flexible like a toy hauler setup that would ideally leave me with a mobile studio.

I look forward to making new friends online and eventually meeting some of you on the road!

Welcome to the CRVL forums dhawktx! Cranky old fart-inas make good van dwellers. You'll fit right in! :) Don't forget to post pictures when you get your van. Creative builds are especially appreciated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I'm real curious about the floor plan you have planned or come up with.

Welcome, D!

You can always go the tiny house route when you get tired of seeing the awesome countryside -- if that ever happens. Oh, Sabatical has a thread going on the tiny house he and his wife are building.. in case you need a house fix. BUT, they are building it on a trailer to be mobile for a move a few years down the road.

surfer said:
I'm real curious about the floor plan you have planned or come up with.

Thanks! I don't like the traditional layouts where every inch is either dedicated to a single use (bunks or dedicated bed area), or combines it's use with 'It's also a BED!' I've been single for much, much longer than I was ever married, and I don't see myself needing to bed down anyone more than myself and the cat. But, Oh, my toys - uh, art supplies!

Already my home is mostly art stations with a nook for the bed being the primary concession to normalcy. I don't even have a TV as I can get what video I want from the Internet or by loading a DVD in the laptop.

So, a toy hauler with its lovely open garage would be a grand place to be able to organize bins and towers of supplies (all suitably restrained during travel!). I've even begun planning to see if I enjoy sleeping in a hammock as a way to do away with the space hogging bed! That said, I'll likely have to design my own interior from scratch as most toy haulers follow the RV rule that the minute the place is bigger than the absolute minimum, they blow out the bathroom and bedrooms and waste all the 'new' space on the same old bits. 

The first van is going to be a real exercise in 'how much do I really need?' After reading the article on doing a practice run while still in a regular space, I can see how valuable that will be!

Hm, sounds like you may be sleeping in the driver's seat. ☺

surfer said:
Hm, sounds like you may be sleeping in the driver's  seat. ☺

Nah, those things don't have enough leg room for sleeping!  :p

Hi, and welcome to the forum :)

Ya know that there are a lot of these aluminum (light weight) bodied Bread Trucks laying around that can be had
reasonably. 

001.jpg

I see a lot of Women driving them too.  Generally they have power steering and automatic transmissions.  They are known for being dependable.

The engine is easy to access and the drivers compartment is roomy.  Behind the drivers compartment you have a large rectangular room to develop as you would wish. 

What type of art-studio would you want to build in it ?  Fine Art/easel,  Graphics Design/drafting board ?  Other ?

I agree, I've seen a lot of RV's whereI don't care much for their floor plans or overall layouts.

Great plans. Following along.

Toy haulers seem to be pricy though. The bunk house models can be converted to a large storage closet or a big desk/ project table instead of bunks.

ilovemyvan said:
Have you ever consider a step van, I think that's what they're called. If you want a "blink canvas" with a lot of space. Here's an example:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/delivery-truck-8364202.jpg

Sorry Nicole...but that's NOT a stepvan.

That's a box-truck. (see the big box??)

eDJ has a stepvan on his post...and the perfect sized on at that!

You'd want one with between 12- 14 feet of cargo space behind the driver's seat. Much more then that and you'll be driving a rig that will be hard to park in regular parking lots.

Aluminum bodied ones don't rust, and they're nice and light, compared to steel body vans.

Welcome to the forum Dhawktx!!

Well dhawktx ,I don't think I ever heard of a fart-ina before ,,,,,,guess you'll fit in here real fine. Welcome aboard mate-ina.

I think starting with a van and then expanding sounds like a good plan,,,,BUT,,,, instead of a giant toy hauler (yes they're all pretty big) maybe you should think about just adding a cargo trailer like Bob has for your studio space !?

Much cheaper and you could still keep the van that you are going to spent so much time and effort making to your own personal specs.

You mention a toy hauler style of set up....don't know if you mean single vehicle or a trailer to tow behind, but here is a minimalist set up I'm considering.

Also a representation of a simple kitchen unit. Kitchen, generator, and fridge will be on wheels for maximum flexibility, plus adjusting tongue weight. Will be towed with my E250 Ford which will function as the main storage area.

Trlr6c.jpg

Kitchen2.jpg

Attachments

• Trlr6c.jpg
    Trlr6c.jpg
    692.3 KB
  • Kitchen2.jpg
    Kitchen2.jpg
    801.5 KB
Patrick46 said:

" Sorry Nicole...but that's NOT a stepvan.

That's a box-truck. (see the big box??)"

Thanks Patrick, to me they looked the same. Shows you how much I know about truck.

Nicole

Thanks to all for the very helpful input!

I was definitely considering a trailer rather than the toy hauler RVs that suffer from wasteful space planning just as bad as regular RVs. I would definitely consider a box or step van if I can find one. I'm in Provo, UT though and haven't seen any yet on the various sale lists. I'm just getting started (seriously looking only in the last two weeks!) and I still have to save up money for the down payment. I have a steady retail job right now, but the pay is barely covering costs. I just paid off my 2009 Hyundai sedan, so that gave me the wiggle room to even start thinking about this! I'm prepared to sell/trade it when the time comes but I have to make sure the replacement vehicle is reliable first, as well as secure a parking spot that I can utilize while working on the van. If anyone can recommend a mechanic in the 'Happy Valley' area I would be eternally grateful, as I just don't know enough (yet) about modern vehicles to avoid getting scammed except by the most obvious cons.

Thanks for the layout johnny b! That's definitely along the lines of what I was considering.

I hate the idea of a dedicated bed platform, so I was intrigued when I found this item on Instructables:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Folding-Bed-Bench-Hidden-Cot/

Off to start looking for box and step vans!

eDJ_ said:
<snip>
What type of art-studio would you want to build in it ?  Fine Art/easel,  Graphics Design/drafting board ?  Other ? 

I'm definitely OTHER!

I am more of a 3D artist - costuming, fiber arts (currently have a floor loom, spinning wheel, multitude of hand spindles, knitting needles and crochet hooks, 3 or 4 sewing machines, serger, cutter plotter), etc. I also design for ball jointed doll collectors, mostly lasercut knock-down furniture and custom-printed small scale fabrics. And I have loads of books, CDs, and DVDs. 

I am a prime candidate for homesteading so that I can cheaply store my stationary goods yet access them when needed, as well as winter or summer there (depending on the weather extremes wherever I buy the land). Right now they are set up in an RV storage unit where I can get to the boxes but only have to pay $100 a month to store them.

While that folding cot is a pretty slick design, I can only pass along my experience....
Every cot I've ever used, aluminum, wood, plastic, canvas, springs, etc., they have all SQUEAKED to the point of ruining any chance of sleep!
Air beds always sprung leaks, so only foam or home style mattresses for me from now on.

My floorplan doesn't really show the bed I'll be making. The 7 foot box that will be storage for my awning poles will simply have a piece of plywood hinged to it. Then 2 x 3 furring strips will add strength and the legs will also be hinged. This will work like a sideways murphy bed, using only 12" of floor space when folded against the wall. Attached are pictures of the commercial RV version by Liftco. ($$)

G7H38597.JPG

G7H38611.JPG

Attachments

• G7H38597.JPG
    G7H38597.JPG
    57.8 KB
  • G7H38611.JPG
    G7H38611.JPG
    46.7 KB
welcome hawk. toy haulers are expensive for what you get. I know I have looked. I think a cargo trailer would be much more suitable. anyway sounds like you are going to jump in so good luck and ask away with any questions, a lot of great people here willing to help out. highdesertranger