Cracker Barrel/Royal Farms

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HungryCoyote

Reaction score
Cracker Barrel 125 S Stewart Ave Ridley Park, Pa. Just south of Philadelphia, at Exit 8 off of I-95. This is a very nice, quiet, peaceful place to spend the night. There is also a Wendy's and a Royal Farms which is a 24-hour convenience store/gas station. I have slept at both but at the Royal Farms, you will get the occasional radios or people talking loud in the middle of the night often right next to you.

Don't know why people choose going to a Walmart when they are not even sure they can stay there for the night. At Cracker Barrel you know they will say yes and all you have to do is eat their delicious food there. A no brainer to me.

Some Walmarts are open all night, offering rest rooms and food, etc. The CBs close by 11 pm and reopen around 7 am....and you may be on your own in a dark lot.

ProfessorChaos said:
Don't know why people choose going to a Walmart when they are not even sure they can stay there for the night. At Cracker Barrel you know they will say yes and all you have to do is eat their delicious food there. A no brainer to me.
I'm with you - just returned from what was basically the Cracker Barrel tour of America. Every location was happy to see me, super polite, and safe. Plus they have hash brown casserole.

What if you don't want to eat Cracker Barrel food? Are you still welcome to stay?

I like cracker barrel food. Why would you stay at a place you won't support? Kinda like walmart, buy something or stay somewhere where you will. Taking advantage of places is a quick way for them to be not welcoming.

If you cant find something you like to eat at Cracker Barrel you list is pretty short. I often just stop in for coffee and their Sour Dough Toast. Um um good. If I take my thermos in most of them will fill it with coffee to go with no extra charge. I got questioned by police one time in the middle of the night in a Cracker Barrel parking lot. I simply told the officer that I felt I was too tired to drive safely so I stopped here to snooze and get coffee in the am. He had no problem. I invited him for a coffee on me when they opened but he said he could not. I love my cracker barrel and Chic Fil a - southern hospitality no matter where they are located.

True, they really have something for everyone. Sometimes I get a veggie plate, and that's just as good as the fried foods. But the fact is, you don't have to eat there, or shop there (I've bought clothes there in the shop) to sleep there. No one's checking on you and no one cares.

If you have the option to overnight at a cracker barrel... Do it..
But sometimes there's no cracker barrel. That's why we move to Walmart, Sam's club, home depot or lowe's in that case

RVTravel said:
What if you don't want to eat Cracker Barrel food? Are you still welcome to stay?

the first time I stayed at a Cracker Barrel I called first to see. They said that they were happy to allow THEIR CUSTOMERS to stay the night. Please let them know that you are out there and put your receipt in the windshield. Unfortunately the Cracker Barrel in Northglenn and Loveland stopped allowing people to stay due to it being abused by people long term that refused to buy anything AND trashed out the place. They take the THEIR CUSTOMERS thing seriously too. I have watched them put tow notices on the windshield of vehicles without receipts displayed.

You don’t have to eat their food. I have taken a Togo order of cobbler or even just bought a pop and candy bar for a receipt.

I've just spent the last two nights on the road. The first night I stayed at a Cabela's, the second at a Cracker Barrel, and the third at a Walmart, after first attempting to stay at a CB again. Of the three, the Cabela's was the best, quite quiet and not too bright. The CB I did stay at (Chambersburg, PA) was close to the highway and had an active train track nearby, so it wasn't quiet. There was also a train horn at 5:23 am...
The other attempt at staying at a CB was last night, but when I found the place it was so bright in the parking lot I wondered how they knew when the sun came up in the morning.

Yeah Royal Farms chicken is good. Have you tried their potato wedges whatever they call them take the column western potatoes or something. They are good too. Sounds like you’ve been tripping around in my backyard. I’ve had great experiences with Cracker Barrel but I do support them heavily. Not because I’d like to eat because I’d like to pay back for their kindness.;)

We just did a cross country trip from NH to CO and back in a 2018 Promaster 2500 campervan. For four of the seven travel days we spent the night at a Cracker Barrel. All of them were lit but not brightly so. The coffee and grub was good. One night after 12 hours of driving I pushed it another hour to make it to the next CB on our route. Walking into the CB every morning is like your own private Groundhog Day.