Cover windows or to not cover windows?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesset121290

Reaction score
I am currently building out my 1994 Chevy G20. I'm at the point of putting in my floors and walls and I'm at a decision cross road. Do I frame around the windows and leave them accessible or do I insulate over them then build the walls over them? I'm cool either way but, what's going to give me the better temperature control?

"Better temperature control" depends on where you are and what temperature you want to maintain. Windows can let in sunlight which warms the interior. Good in winter, bad in summer.

Personally, I say to hell with the windows. If you're not worrying about temperature control, then you're worrying about privacy. And you end up doing insulated inserts to either keep in the heat or keep it out, and when you're not using them, you have to stow them somewhere, taking up space. Then you end up leaving them in place all the time to avoid the hassle, so they might as well have been permanently covered. And if you have some kind of tilt-up bed or cabinet-shelving-storage thing that blocks the windows anyway, what's the point of windows? And you can attach things to walls that you can't attach to windows.

I couldn't live without windows, but that's just me. Removable insulation gives you options.

I have a class b with lots of windows in the back. For the most part they have reflectix in the windows and some heavy blackout curtains on the inside. The insulation and curtains help keep the van cooler/warmer with the season. The only time I uncover them is when I'm camping in a spot with nobody around and I can really enjoy the scene. When driving I uncover the rear window so I can see traffic behind me. The side windows in back I can't see from the drivers seat because of the cabinets (that's what mirrors are for) so I keep them covered 95% of the time.

Why build yourself into a corner? Make them removeable, check out both ways in real life, and decide then. Cover all the windows, and then decide that you can't stand that much darkness, and need some natural light? Whatcha gonna do then?

Jesset121290 said:
(...)  I'm cool either way but, what's going to give me the better temperature control?

For better temperature control I would cover/insulate the windows, and put some vents in the roof and the floor.

There is always 5% Limo Tint.  It keeps the sun from heating up the van.

My thoughts on window covering, I have the 2 windows in the back doors, I have the sliding door with a larger window. I like the light but also like my privacy when bedding down for the night. I decided to cut a piece of masonite just a little larger than the window, cover the window side with Reflectix. Using Velcro tape line the window frame with one side & the Masonite with the other at strategic points.

Probably don't need it to be continuous but at least 2 4" pieces on all 4 sides. At bedtime put up the coverings, taking them down in the morning, storage would be no problem. I get enough light at night to sleep by opening the heavy curtains that cover the opening of my bulkhead up front. Close the curtain when I make my nightime release, then open them before crawling back between the sheets.