Cooking with a Nissan Thermos

Help Support Van Living Forum:

ice_maiden

Reaction score
I did some experimentation and a blog post on this a while back. It is really a pretty cool way to cook if your in a limiting situation. Works good with dehydrated foods too

Seraphim

Reaction score
We've been playing with it as well. Oatmeal and raisins came out great LOL.<br /><br />Dried beans and rice worked...<br /><br />Lentils next.

Bootsand

Reaction score
That bean concoction looked amazing.&nbsp; Thanks for posting, I MUST look into the possibilities of a thermos!

akblack10

Reaction score
Seraphim, I forgot to mention I added lentils to my dish today, they were leftover from the Bean Curry dish I made a week ago. &nbsp;They came out great!<br /><br />

Seraphim

Reaction score
Did they require soaking before you cooked them?

akblack10

Reaction score
No need to soak lentils before cooking in the Thermos, but dried black beans should be soaked first!<br />-AK

Seraphim

Reaction score
Thanks. I may be slow, but I'll get there eventually lol. Just made some bean soup with chipotle tomatoes. Spicy.

ice_maiden

Reaction score
I use a <span id="post_message_1274852019">thermos brand thermos... but I will suggest if you are going to buy one that you get a wide mouth version.... makes them easier to clean... and it have to be the metal kind ... the better the thermos the better this works<br /></span>

akblack10

Reaction score
A wide mouth thermos will lose heat quicker each time they are opened, but true, they are easier to fill / clean. &nbsp;I own a Nissan, great quality but it's a smaller mouth, my solution is to use a small kitchen funnel to aid in filling! &nbsp;If you get one, get a good quality one that retains heat!<br />-AK

Seraphim

Reaction score
We have a Thermos brand 40 oz with a wide mouth. We're cooking for two people. You may want a smaller one. A canning funnel fits in perfectly. Once I open it, there's rarely leftovers *grin*

ice_maiden

Reaction score
Gypsy you can make you own from scratch of course but "Bear Creek" makes some pretty good soup mixes that work well this way... They cost about four dollars a package .... each package makes 4-16oz thermos of soup. Just divide the soup package into 4 equal ziplock bags and you have four lunches or dinners for about a buck each<br /><br />And that 16oz wide mouth is what I have. I always roll mine in a towel and lay it on it's side to cook....that way the heat has a shorter distance to rise.

yesican

Reaction score
<p>Wonder where I put my thermos...gonna have to try one of these recipes.&nbsp; Rae</p>

akblack10

Reaction score
One of my favorite recipes is a can of white meat chicken, a can of "Rotel" &nbsp;(tomatoes and habaneros), and a can of black beans. &nbsp;Bring the ingredients to a boil and then place them into the Thermos! &nbsp;Great healthy meal. &nbsp;On Thermos size, remember, even if you travel alone and think you might only need a small 16 oz thermos, I recommend one big enough for two people. &nbsp;That way you can invite someone over to eat and show-off your awesome cooking skills! &nbsp;After a day, if you want to re-heat the meal, simply boil a few cups of water and add to the thermos and there you have it... another tasty meal!<br /><br />

ice_maiden

Reaction score
Yes I have done pasta in a thermos and with can cheese.... you have easy mac and cheese<br /><br />

Pikachu711

Reaction score
<p>I never gave much thought to cooking in a thermos much consideration. I'm going to give it a try here at home one day for a hot&nbsp;lunch at work.<br /><br />Thanks for this great tip!</p>

VanFan

Reaction score
I am a fan of thermos cooking, and a finger wagging busy-body!&nbsp; Please be very careful about maintaining safe food temperatures with leftovers.&nbsp; Food borne illness on the road is no fun!<br /><br />Vickie

josephusminimus

Reaction score
I'm trying it with black beans and wild rice in a large pump-type motel coffee thermos I bought for $.50 in a thrift shop.&nbsp; Using that thermos [Everest brand] because it's the only one I own with a wide mouth.&nbsp; Tried it in a smaller Thermos brand, old style thermos a few days ago cooking something else after I read the thread, and while the food cooked fine I had a lot of difficulty getting it out of the thermos.&nbsp;

josephusminimus

Reaction score
I'm bumping this because it's the most useful, cheap and easy cooking technique I've ever seen.&nbsp; I've used it with a variety of thrift store thermos bottles, even a stainless steel [59 cent] coffee pitcher-like affair.&nbsp; Haven't found one yet it didn't work with, and most of these aren't even stainless steel.<br /><br />As nearly as I can figure almost anything can be cooked this way.

Latest posts