Considering Work Canmping in Alaska... What a drive!?!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusiB

Reaction score
I am considering taking job up by the Kenai Fjord. I have always wanted to go and see Alaska's natural beauty and being new to the whole FT RV things, getting paid to be in a place of beauty seems like a good way to go. I have an interview tomorrow (wed 2.9) an I would love to have feedback on the drive up there. The location got good feedback on management and beauty from others who have worked there. I'm just a little daunted by the mileage in a Camper van and gas prices... Not to mention the whole single-lady-traveling a long, lonely road. Hmmm, sounds like the makings of a good (NOT!) slasher movie. Thanks for the fed back! ;-)

I forgot where, but I got thick booklet about what to expect, maybe from Canadian government promoting tourism. And then there is Milepost, with info about what services are available on each exit. Exits can be quite far away...

I am considering taking job up by the Kenai Fjord. I have an interview tomorrow (wed 2.9) an I would love to have feedback on the drive up there. The location got good feedback on management and beauty from others who have worked there. I'm just a little daunted by the mileage in a Camper van and gas prices...
Alaska had been on my bucket list for a long time and I finally made the trip in early May of 2019. I went up to take a job and it was a great trip although I did have some delay due to needing brake work on my van. Drove over to Prince Rupert,BC and took the ferry to Juneau,Hoonah and Skagway. It was expensive but I had never been on a large ferry before and it cut 600 miles off the trip. On the return, I took the Alaska Highway instead of the Cassiar route. I've heard the Cassiar is more scenic but also more remote. From the PNW it may make more sense. Just make sure your van is in good shape. The trip won't be any more dangerous than everyday living in most US cities.

Last edited:
Alaska had been on my bucket list for a long time and I finally made the trip in early May of 2019. I went up to take a job and it was a great trip although I did have some delay due to needing brake work on my van. Drove over to Prince Rupert,BC and took the ferry to Juneau,Hoonah and Skagway. It was expensive but I had never been on a large ferry before and it cut 600 miles off the trip. On the return, I took the Alaska Highway instead of the Cassiar route. I've heard the Cassiar is more scenic but also more remote. From the PNW it may make more sense. Just make sure your van is in good shape. The trip won't be any more dangerous than everyday living in most US cities.
Bless you!