Combination bug/privacy/reflecting screens?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psartman

Reaction score
[font=system-ui, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,][font=system-ui, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]I'd have thought that everything that seems like a good idea for vehicle camping would have been produced by now, but I cannot find anything like this? (maybe its not such a good idea?)  I'm outfitting my Subaru Forester as a micro camper. I've tried the sock-style screens, but they are tedious to install (need magnets on the outside to secure from bugs at the bottom), block a lot of airflow, and are not very stealthy. I'm looking for a fine-mesh bug blocking screen set that installs from inside the car with either press-fit or magnets (like the Weather Tech and others, but with screen rather than reflective material.) And how about if there was an additional silver reflective layer on the inside that could be rolled down (secured with ties at the bottom) when you just want ventilation and bug protection- wouldn't that be slick?[/font][/font]

[font=system-ui, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,][font=system-ui, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Anybody know of something like this, or want to start a company producing them? (I'll take the prototypes as a thank-you for the idea :)[/font][/font]

I don't imagine something like that would be to difficult to put together, Magnets like you said to hold in in place, or Velcro. I would think a piece of reflectex cut to fir the window, then attach the screen with glue, or by sewing it around the edges.. then part of the reflectex can have a cut out that can be rolled down or folded down..

you might actually need to put this into a frame of sorts so that you can put pressure on it with your window..

I have actually thought of doing the same type of thing

I don't imagine something like that would be to difficult to put together, Magnets like you said to hold in in place, or Velcro. I would think a piece of reflectex cut to fir the window, then attach the screen with glue, or by sewing it around the edges.. then part of the reflectex can have a cut out that can be rolled down or folded down..

you might actually need to put this into a frame of sorts so that you can put pressure on it with your window..

I have actually thought of doing the same type of thing
Good luck on your van build. Looks like you have lots of work ahead. I’m a newbie with a 2013 Ford Transit Connect located in Florida. I’m about ready to try it out. Very minimal build, not too technical. Good luck again.

Reviving this old thread. Im looking for combination screen/window covers. To me the window socks scream 'someone is sleeping in this car!"

Reviving this old thread. Im looking for combination screen/window covers. To me the window socks scream 'someone is sleeping in this car!"
I wondered about that, too. But they are advertised as being something to keep in place while driving as well, to make shade in the back seat, which in fact I am going to do. I am also going to try it when I put together a travel/camp setup in my SUV so I can have ventilation when parked without bugs. I don't think it would necessarily draw any more attention than having all the windows blocked with something black. But also, I haven't tried it yet.
A black screen that fits into the window securely somehow would do the job, I suppose, but I don't know how it would fit in there securely without some kind of rigid but flexible edge to it. Maybe if you could put wire or something on the screen that would make it fit the windows? Definitely a DIY, I think. If you figure something out, please post so others (like me) get the info.

On my minivan, i used velcro around the edges of the front windows to attach the mesh fabric. Bad part of that is i had to put the smooth side of the velcro on the screen (the rough side wanted to grab and tear my fabric.) So you end up with the rough side of the velcro where you rest your arm when the window is down. Plus it didnt look very pretty.

I have a set of weathertech window covers. I tried bending them down a very small amount but i think you'd need to cut (very carefully) through the first layer to create a flap that you could let down and eventually you know that flap is gonna fail. I just bought the things so for now im gonna try just not pushing them all the way in at the top so i can get at least a little bit of air.

Why did i refuse multiple attempts as a kid to teach me to sew?