Colorado River water use cuts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Colorado River water use cuts. They didn't. So now it's the feds' turn....but since this could affect practical choices...
As a kid in the 1950s and 60s, we hiked and kayaked all over Baja.
The Colorado River estuary at the north of the Sea Of Cortez was a vast rich deep healthy environment for thousands of species... including migratory birds, and including people.
As early as the 1980s, that estuary was a dusty sandpit, devoid of anything living.
And 'downstream' of the former estuary, the ocean life dependant on those rich diverse nutrients... starved and strangled.
Diverting the Colorado River water to artificial environments -- Phoenix, Las Vegas, south California -- robbed so many of so much.
I think the cure is obvious... a few dozen million less residents of artificial places.
I also think relying on the government agents is delusional.
I am pretty sure they will promote some short-term solution, thereby kicking the can down the road for somebody else to deal with the tragedy.
I welcome your rebuttal.

Diverting the Colorado River water to artificial environments -- Phoenix, Las Vegas, south California -- robbed so many of so much.
I think the cure is obvious... a few dozen million less residents of artificial places.

I also think relying on the government agents is delusional.
I am pretty sure they will promote some short-term solution, thereby kicking the can down the road for somebody else to deal with the tragedy.

I welcome your rebuttal.
True that. And I am sure many people in the involved agencies have had the same thought.

But I have to ask - what do YOU think would happen if any of those agencies raised that idea in public? Short-term solutions might be the only politically viable options. And that is ON US, not them.

Last edited:
The planet is getting smaller year after year, as its population of humans rapidly expands.
At some point, hopefully not in our lifetimes, humans will make life on planet earth uninhabitable, unfortunately.

And then there's the specter of nuclear holocaust we all must fear...