Color of vehicle in heat ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanvanvanvan123

Reaction score
How much of a difference do lighter colors versus darker colors of a vehicle effect the temperature of the interior of a van?
Eg a dark grey van versus a white one?
Summer is coming here in S Calif.

I wondered how new vehicles originated; now I know ("vehicles in heat"). ;)

This phys.org article says: "White, silver, and other light colors are coolest, reflecting about 60 percent of sunlight but there are dark "cool" colors that can also stay cooler than traditional dark colors. When dark surfaces are needed for aesthetics or to reduce brightness, one can use special "cool-colored" materials that stay moderately cool by reflecting only the invisible component of sunlight. Solar reflective paints can decrease the ‘soak' temperature of the air in a car that has been parked in the sun."

Don't forget that one could "upgrade" to lime-green "ugly paint" with the 2017 Prius (in Japan).

White attracts the least heat. The second best after white for not attracting heat will surprise many of you. That second best choice is a pure bright red ♥️

People on the fiberglass RV forum thought I was nuts to paint my trailer red. Of course I did it to match my tow vehicle and was very pleasantly surprised to find out it is a great color choice for not attracting heat.

Grey is not a good choice as it contains a lot of black.

Last edited: